Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does the modern Stetson/HatCo hat last, feasibly?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have a Stetson hat that has been under your ownership for more than a year or two? Even five years or more? How well does your modern, average quality Stetson; let's say 4X, hold? Is there discoloration after a certain amount of time? How about the crown shrinking, or the brim getting floppy? Has anyone had any of their hats utterly ruined by foul weather or constant wear?

Please post pictures if you can. I'm curious to know the ins and outs of the quality of a modern Stetson hat (or HatCo in general?) before I may consider purchasing one. There are quite a few Stetson, and other HatCo styles that I happen to like, in addition to the apparently sturdier Akubras I check out most of the time. It seems that one could get away with owning an Akubra through rough conditions, yet still manage to make it look good enough for a whole decade, so I hear. Can a Stetson hat last that long, while looking just as good?

Big_e

Practically Family
I'd be interested in knowing how well they hold up myself. Hatco is across town and that's where I bought my favorite Stetson Sovereign. I've had it for about 4 months and wear it every chance I get. I try to just wear it on clear days and wear a wool beater on rainy days.
Ernest

Picture030.jpg

A good quality felt hat with proper care can last for a life time. I have some Resistols that have had cleaning & new sweatbands added still going strong. Good felt just keeps "felting" & gets better with time. If you handle it correctly & don't wear a hole in the pinch ala Johnny Depp, you can pass a hat on to your kids' kids.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Does anyone have a Stetson hat that has been under your ownership for more than a year or two? Even five years or more?

Well, I have half a dozen Stetsons and not one of them were made after 1980. So far they are all doing great. I wear one or the other of them everyday at this point.

Bebop

Practically Family
I guess only time will tell. I read a lot about how Stetsons "color will run when wet" and "my Stetson just fell apart after a few months" but I have not had that experience at all. I have several "new" Stetsons that when first bought, I thought would not last long but after a few years, they just got better and better. My Stetson Dune from the early to mid 90's is a good example. I put it through all kinds of torture with the thought that it was a beater and if it fell apart, no harm done. It has become a much softer hat that seems to be holding up incredibly well. I've had cowboy hats that have proven to be the same. I don't think they scream quality right out of the box, like an Akubra, but in the long run they seem to be doing well.

Bebop

Practically Family
Just don't buy a dark colored stetson. They do fade and I have had several pass through my hands that faded and the color has run when wet. My friend had a black stetson that had nearly faded to a dark gray after a few years. They powder them up quite a bit.:rolleyes:

Well I hope that doesn't happen to my black Diamond Jim that I've had for about 5-6 years. It is one of my rain hats that is as black as the day I bought it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own about 9 modern Stetsons, circa 2005 or so. My midweight gray is my workhorse (I believe it used to say Royal Stetson on the sweatband). Initially, after my first encounter with rain, subtle pink spots appeared around the crown and inner brim. After pulling the ribbon during my recent cleaning, I also noticed strong pink around the bottom of the crown where sweat must have been in prolonged contact with the felt. I can't tell you what that means from a technical aspect, but I assume it's an indication of color running and fading.

I've had these hats since about 2007 and I'm not disappointed. Even the subtle fading of my workhorse is not noticable until closer inspection. The felt has improved, become slightly more pliable and softer. I've beat the snot out of this hat, too, so it doesn't surprise me if it's fading after all this.

If someone asked me in 2007 what I thought about modern Stetsons, I would have snubbed my nose. Now, I'd shrug and ask if they'll buy me one, too. ;)

Well I hope that doesn't happen to my black Diamond Jim that I've had for about 5-6 years. It is one of my rain hats that is as black as the day I bought it.

If it hasn't faded by now then it likely won't but you might want to check the color run by dabbing it with a white paper towel after you have got it good and wet.
That is how I noticed the color run on several of mine. They use color powder to keep the color even on their hats but it runs when wet. Perhaps they use more on some and less on others though. [huh]:eusa_doh:

Initially, after my first encounter with rain, subtle pink spots appeared around the crown and inner brim. After pulling the ribbon during my recent cleaning, I also noticed strong pink around the bottom of the crown where sweat must have been in prolonged contact with the felt. I can't tell you what that means from a technical aspect, but I assume it's an indication of color running and fading.

I think that has more to do with the sweatband itself running onto the felt. Maybe the dye in the leather came out the backside of the sweatband due to heat and sweat/rain. You can usually notice the back of the sweatband will be the same pinky color. That has happened to me as well. It is a factory hat so the sweatbands aren't exactly roan.[huh]

SteveAS

Practically Family
I had a 2009 Sovereign-grade felt and a 2009 100 percent beaver Benchley for a winter each (before I sold them to get more vintage hats). They both got wet several times and neither was any the worse for wear for it. There was no evidence of powder on them. I wonder if the Royal-grade Stetsons are powdered, but higher grades are not? [huh]

I had a 2009 Sovereign-grade felt and a 2009 100 percent beaver Benchley for a winter each (before I sold them to get more vintage hats). They both got wet several times and neither was any the worse for wear for it. There was no evidence of powder on them. I wonder if the Royal-grade Stetsons are powdered, but higher grades are not? [huh]

That could well be. I don't remember what my friend's hat is. I haven't worn my Newer Stetsons in quite a while so I have to check what they are as well.
I am not surprised a 100% beaver didn't run though.:D

Undertow

I think that has more to do with the sweatband itself running onto the felt. Maybe the dye in the leather came out the backside of the sweatband due to heat and sweat/rain. You can usually notice the back of the sweatband will be the same pinky color. That has happened to me as well. It is a factory hat so the sweatbands aren't exactly roan.[huh]

That's what I initially thought, too - that the sweatband or ribbon were somehow responsible for the coloration. It certainly would make sense as the strongest pink is behind the ribbon along the outside where the sweatband would be.

However, my sweatbands aren't leather - they're some kind of cheap synthetic (rapidly curls under heat). They're also gray on the backside and black on the frontside. I've inspected the bands for deterioaration or fading but to no avail. Also, the ribbon has not faded or shown any deterioration either.

On the other hand, the same pink discoloration can be found in spots AWAY from the band on the inner brim, and also along the edge of the brim where I tend to touch the felt. This leads me to believe the felt body was previously discolored or uneven and Stetson used their old powder trick to even it out. [huh]

Undertow

Yeah, this is probably the case. My Imperial and Ultra finish (both pretty much the same) have had no signs of wear or tear. It's the Royals that seem to be trouble, but I couldn't verify that beyond anecdote.

On the other hand, the same pink discoloration can be found in spots AWAY from the band on the inner brim, and also along the edge of the brim where I tend to touch the felt. This leads me to believe the felt body was previously discolored or uneven and Stetson used their old powder trick to even it out. [huh]

If the sweatband is not leather then it is likely because it was heavily powdered to hide the uneven color of the felt as it turns that shade when it is processed before the dyeing process.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I’ve had my Royal quality Ashland for probably five years now. I only had to brush it out once to remove the powder and the only discoloration I’ve encountered is from dirt and grime. As I mentioned in the Stetson thread, I’ve been pretty hard on it and it’s softened up nicely. Despite being soaked through on a regular basis from the rain, I have not noticed any taper or shrinking of the crown. I purposely snapped the brim up and down for hours one day to make it more floppy, but it still maintains a little snap (although the underwelt brim probably helps). Ribbon is fraying a little bit.

DSCF1212.jpg

I do have to say my Sovereign quality caribou Nostalgia had just as much powdering as the Ashland, and my black Ashland (also about 5 years old) had virtually no powdering whatsoever. I’m thinking it’s a hit and miss thing with the powder, depending upon the hat regardless of the grade. I was going to take my Nostalgia out in the light rain yesterday, but didn’t have a chance. Now I think I’m going to order a mink version and put that one through the ringer instead, just to see what happens. The royal quality at least is still going strong for me.

I’ve had my Royal quality Ashland for probably five years now. I only had to brush it out once to remove the powder and the only discoloration I’ve encountered is from dirt and grime. As I mentioned in the Stetson thread, I’ve been pretty hard on it and it’s softened up nicely. Despite being soaked through on a regular basis from the rain, I have not noticed any taper or shrinking of the crown. I purposely snapped the brim up and down for hours one day to make it more floppy, but it still maintains a little snap (although the underwelt brim probably helps). Ribbon is fraying a little bit.

DSCF1212.jpg

I do have to say my Sovereign quality caribou Nostalgia had just as much powdering as the Ashland, and my black Ashland (also about 5 years old) had virtually no powdering whatsoever. I’m thinking it’s a hit and miss thing with the powder, depending upon the hat regardless of the grade. I was going to take my Nostalgia out in the light rain yesterday, but didn’t have a chance. Now I think I’m going to order a mink version and put that one through the ringer instead, just to see what happens. The royal quality at least is still going strong for me.

I think I am going to get one of these hats and give it the ultimate test. I'll get one for my four year old and see how long it holds up. He has beaten up vintage hats like crazy and they snap right back----except the straw ones.:eusa_doh:
I am not sure you got all of the powder out of it simply by brushing it. They massage the powder in pretty deep. The fact that they used powder seems to suggest that the color was not even int eh first place.
Maybe the hit and miss has more to do with the dye lots of felt bodies. Some are likely more even and take better than others. A silverbelly color or tan would likely need a lot less powder as it is closer to the natural color they started with. Darker grays, blues and blacks are likely to have more poweder to even out the felt color. I suppose it would also depend on what material they felted as well. Some hair is more dye resistant than others from my research. As usual, beaver and nutria seem to be less resistant. Wild hare being a bit more resistant and domestic rabbit even more resistant. The domestic rabbit fur was described as "greasy." They had to wash it just to get the grease out before the felting process---probably due to the food they eat. [huh] I doubt it helps in the dyeing process either. :eusa_doh:
So the fur they use to make the bodies may be showing all the way down to the color bleed. [huh] Perhaps the higher grade bodies are less powdered beacuse they are more easily dyed----but I could be wrong.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I think I am going to get one of these hats and give it the ultimate test. I'll get one for my four year old and see how long it holds up. He has beaten up vintage hats like crazy and they snap right back----except the straw ones.:eusa_doh:

That’s the ticket! :)

I think you’re probably spot on about the qualities of the bodies used vs the amount of dye and powder. I know of a few folks that had quite the issue with them running in the rain, and to have been as noticeable as it was, their hats would have needed to be soaked in powder (they all seemed to be black too). Of course they didn’t try to brush them out first either, and they came from an outlet store. Luckily I’ve just never had that issue. It’s probably like getting good seating at a restaurant; if they like you at the hat shop, they send you the best of the stock. ;)

It's a shame they powder them at all though. One good soaking and a brushing later, and you'd never notice the imperfections anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld