Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you do it?

MsChantillyLace

New in Town
Initially, I retreived things from my Grandma Mary's attic.

Garage and estate sales have also been a great resource; it's especially helpful if you know where a larger than average population of elders reside. My grandma's neighborhood is an excellent place to look.

Thrift stores, antique stores and consignment stores are also swell places to check out shopping. You will need to dig and prowl and return several times. I have a good raport with some of the people who work at varous stores of this type and they'll give me a jingle if they have a lot in that they think I might be interested. As far as size goes, there is a good deal more stability in women's wear sizing from the past then the current ready-to-wear styles. Make friends with a good tailor and that should solve fit problems.

Sewing is a great great resource for getting retro styles. Vogue, Butterick and Simplicity all carry re-prints of some of their vintage styles. Vogue in particular has a line called "Vintage Vogue." Both also have patterns for unmentionables. Simplicity has great patterns for more costume-y ensambles... in the past they have had AMAZING Ren-fair patterns. Now they're more into the 1800s and Civil War-- right down to the underpinnings.

There's an entire thread that someone posted before with repdroduction garments and unmentionables. Don't forget to check out the FL marketplace, too, as I've seen some goodies there.

I'm thinking of a few lines that carry vintage styled pieces: Banana Republic is one of my favorites, which also translates well into every-day wear. Michael Kors generally styles from a 30s or 40s perspective. Oscar de la Renta tends to have a vintage feel also. Diane von Furstenburg had a collection recently called "A Foreign Affair" inspired by the film. Other's have mentioned elsewhere occassionally finding fabulous pieces at Target, TJ Maxx, and Forever 21. Oh, and if you enjoy 30s-esque styling, Simply Vera by Vera Wang at Kohl's has some very interesting items.

My favorite pair of patent leather peep toe platform pumps (with a complete 40s aesthetic) were from Nine West and on sale.

*If you study your favorite era's style and fashions enough, you begin to see modern designs that were inspired in the past.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm at a 50/50 split between actual vintage and reproduction/non-repro wear. I think that you should remember that a range of measurements might fit you when looking thru ebay. I don't mind a couple extra inches in the bust or hips and the garment will generally hang the way its supposed to. I can go down an 1"-2" in my waist based on using the proper undergarments. Additionally I've bought a number of things I fell in love with that were simply too big but a great price. Brought them to my amazing seamstress and for $15 got them fitted to me.

I also believe that the right vintage accessories can really make the difference in taking the look to the next level. Generally if I'm wearing repro I will always have an authentic handbag, scarf or hairdo to complete the look. These are inexpensive items that can be picked up at nearly any antique mall. Make a point when you are travelling to hit at least one vintage/antique seller.

It takes years and years. Some of the things I bought in my twenties I would never wear just based on the silhouette. Know your figure and what looks best on your shape. This has been key for me at acquiring less and less of things I rarely wear.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have managed to build a decently-sized vintage wardrobe in about 3 years thanks to Ebay and to local vintage and thrift stores. I realize that I'm lucky in that Boston has some of the best vintage stores in the US. The Lounge has also helped me pick up extra items and it helps to have a friend or two who wears a similar size to you so you can do trades. That said, I almost never wear purely 100% vintage.

Keep in mind that your vintage finds will go a LOT futher if you're willing to mix them with repros, modern retro items (Target is great for retro ladies items), or just plain modern items. If you're not as picky about being dead on accurate all the time, it will take you less time and less money to liven up your wardrobe with a vintage flair and you can even get a relatively accurate vintage look without wearing all vintage.

For example, today I'm wearing a vintage 50s skirt I got for $12 at a local thrift store, a $10 plain knit jersey shirt from Old Navy, some bakelite bangles I got for $6 from an antique store (though I could have found dead ringers at many mall stores for even less), modern leather ballet flats, and a pair of vintage seamless stockings. I have a chiffon scarf from a thrift store tied around my ponytail and I topped it off with a $15 50s cardigan I bought at a car show. It's a pretty dead-on 50s look without having to be ALL vintage.

Just hunt and peck and search - find basic items like separates that you can add into your current wardrobe while you grow your vintage one.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Many thrift stores also separate out anything old, weird, funky, flashy, and save it aside for the Halloween season.
:eek:fftopic:
that's a two-edged sword though; you're competing with people looking for a "costume" and that rarely makes the price a bargain! that being said, i do try to "rescue" any WWII uniforms from such a demeaning fate as trick-or-treating for unappreciative little kids... but, i have found 2 womens WWII Marine uniforms that way (they need a home by the way; i'm not petite at 5'9") for a total of 10$.

i would suggest checking out garage sales; i met a fabulous woman who practically adopted my sister & me. as luck would have it, i'm the same shoe size as her late mother, and have bought most her old wardrobe throughout the years. so, i got a wardrobe and a wonderful addition to my family :)

just seize any opportunity to duck into a local resale shop & every promising looking garage sale.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I keep a dapper look at all times, usually vintage but sometimes mixed.

What works for me is:

1.) First and foremost, footwork and keeping an eye out all the time, constantly being on the alert, and cultivating a good imagination for what will go with what.

2.) Goodwill and garage sales. My shoe collection has come largely from Goodwill.

3.) Mixing old and new. I wear modern DBs that I get from Ebay and Goodwill with vintage ties and excellent Goodwill wing tips all the time.

4.) Careful color coordination. I have two vintage fedoras ($50 each) and a new Borsalino ($180). They are all different colors (brown, gray, and "cognac") so there is an excellent chance I can put an outfit together that harmonizes color-wise.

5.) Occasionally forking over good money for a good piece. It balances out in the end. I could not find black wingtips in my size at any Goodwill and I certainly needed a pair, so I paid $225 for Florsheim Kenmoor long wing wingtips; but I've gotten 2 pairs of brown ones for $5 each at Goodwill, and oxblood/black saddle shoes also for $5 at Goodwill. Net cost for 4 excellent pairs of shoes: $245, or an average of about $48 each, next to nothing. This kind of creative accounting makes it justifiable to pay for the occasional moderately expensive thing, even on a student budget.

6.) Time, lots of time to slowly accumulate things.

7.) Letting people know I'm interested in this sort of thing. I let everyone know I'm eager and interested in old things and this information gets around. Spelling it out for people really helps. I get free antiques from people ALL the time, and the house is now full of them. A bit chipped, but I honestly don't care. The point is, making it known that you will give old things a good home. A friend just told me that a 90 year old bachelor his parents have known forever just died, and so the guy's collection of about 60 ties went to my friend. I told him I'd sort through them for him and categorize them by decade and he said he'd give me some. There is a 50s girlie tie now waiting for me -- I have never owned a girlie tie and always wanted to -- and he'll give me many others too, all because I apprise people that I'm interested in this sort of stuff and I keep a friendly and interested demeanor, so people feel they can approach me. Even my enemies know that I will treat them pleasantly if they want to talk to me about vintage and antiques, and so even they will pass something along to me -- such as an old book -- and I make sure to be grateful, giving positive reinforcement for their generosity.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ditto what Doran said (that smart guy) and most of the long-time collectors in this thread.

I have been collecting vintage for near 30 years and probably have the largest ladies suit collection here on the Lounge. I worked very very hard for decades to cultivate what was important to me. Note I said I don't collect swing dresses, which is what most ladies collect today; I collect what is important to me and my interpretation of vintage fashion.

Patience is key. Learn what you like, what you don't like and what you won't wear, regardless of the price. Don't buy things that don't fit, just because they are cute, unless you want them for patterns later on.

Keep looking, keep talking and make friends with local dealers. If you can't afford something, ask about layaway. If you can't afford layaway, see if you can trade something (labor, other antiques, clothes that you purchased but don't fit you after all). Sometimes it's not about the money, it's about showing love and appreciation for someone's elses items.

Like Doran, I have people give me things all the time (yesterday in fact). It comes from remembering other people too and saving special things for them, and respecting their items, effort and memories.

You have to love "the hunt" to be able to put this much effort into a chase that might not result in anything; if you only want the fashion but don't want to pursue the hunt, pay someone else to hunt for you and who can learn your taste and save you time. Otherwise, you won't enjoy the end result at all and will be terribly frustrated.

And most of all, don't be afraid to make mistakes. That's how you learn. But you can always ask us for advice first, so you don't make as many! ;)

Best-

Vintage Betty

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I just realized I've been collecting vintage for 14 years this year! That's insane!
I don't wear it as everyday wear. I like period styling a lot, but it doesn't work into my daily wardrobe for a number of reasons. I like to dress up and go out, but it happens rarely. Most of my vintage are things I love to death- usually the cut and stylings and fabrics are what draw me in- but my collection has thinned out a lot over the years. I think I have a few main things I've learned over the years.

1) Know your stuff. The internet is a great source, and when I started it wasn't like it is now (barely any pictures!). It's a good idea to get a grasp of overviews of styles on here- look up silhouettes through time, etc, but when you think you've gotten that down go to the library. There's just so much you can learn online. Many libraries have old copies of magazines you can look through as well as newspapers on microfilm. If you want to know your stuff, get to the sources. Not only will you familiarize yourself with correct fits, colors, designers names, style names, and the years things were popular- you'll be able to see how to put an outfit together. You can see firsthand the difference between screen style (photoplay, etc) high style (vogue and harpers bazaar) and normal style (mccalls, womans home companion, ladies home journal). Once you get that idea down, look on ebay in the vintage categories- especially for pictures that show the insides of clothes- seam finishes, labels, etc. Those will help show you the difference between modern and vintage. You should be able to tell if something is modern or vintage just on the way it's constructed on the inside. Or better yet, get to a vintage clothing store or show or antique store and get some hands on knowledge. Sometimes even museums will have collections they'll let you come and see, and you can get in contact with curators for more info and closer up looks (something I've always meant to do but haven't yet).

2) Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth buying. Get to know condition issues and which can be resolved and which can't. Get to know the run-of-the-mill styles that were popular and are easily attainable and avoid paying high prices for them. Good example for me are late 50's blouses. I find them everywhere and everyone and their brother has them. I had mountains of clothes that had issues, didn't fit me, or were just boring just because they were cheap. The better quality your clothing is the happier it will make you. I'm a big advocate of knowing when splurging is worth it vs. having a lot of mediocre stuff.

3) Find a mentor- someone in your area you can go and talk to, or someone you see regularly and get up a friendship with at a clothing show. Make sure they're reputable (and not someone who sells 50's clothing mislabeled 30's, etc.)

4) Just because it has a high price tag doesn't mean it's worth it. Seller a) might have a better model and better lighting, or simply cater to a higher clientelle but seller b) might have nearly exactly the same dress for half the price. Shop around. Know when it's worth it and when it's not. This falls in with #2 as well. If you have a yen for something and it's calling you- don't pass it up unless you have to. I've regretted not making certain purchases for years, and likewise, I've been so glad I haven't paid a high price for other things because later I found they weren't as rare as the seller had made me think. Goes back to #1.

5) Determine which era suits you best. Nothing worse than having a closet full of clothes you've accumulated (see #2 again) that are uninspiring and don't fit well.

6) Make sure it can stand up to wear. Especially if you plan on wearing it as everyday clothing A rayon crepe dress from the 30's, no matter how lovely, won't stand the test of time if it's worn with frequency. This is when vintage patterns and learning to sew comes in handy. Even basic sewing can help you do mending when you have to and can prolong the life of a garment.

7) NO WIRE HANGERS. No foolin. Only use padded hangers IF you have to hang clothing. Never leave them wrinkled and on a ball on the floor. Only wash clothing if it needs it, and make sure it can handle it first. Never machine wash anything pre- 1950's and only then, make sure its only cotton. Finding a reputable cleaner is key. Never leave something you've had underarm perspiration touching alone. Get it cleaned. It will eat through clothing and kill it.

I admit I'm totally cheap for the most part. Most of my clothing comes from estate sales, thrift stores, or mislabeled things at vintage shows and antique stores and ebay (which goes back to KNOW YOUR STUFF! Saves you money). Once every year or two I'll go in for something I know I probably will never see again, and I've never regretted it. If at all possible I'd say buy vintage firsthand and not on the internet- you can check out condition and try it on and know you're getting your money's worth. Ebay is good and all, but it's just nice to see what you get- especially with vintage. It's just not like modern clothing and can have many issues. Funny, that coming from me, who sells stuff online all the time ;)

Oh yeah, and the most important point to make:
HAVE FUN AND DO IT FOR YOU. Don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses. Makes it so much less fun! :D

olive bleu

One Too Many
Wow..that's vintage collecting 101:) Thanks for taking the time to share all that, Lauren. Your expertise and great sense of style really make this an invaluable reference.That is very generous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe