Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
V.C.Brunswick, you are almost right, it's the jeans, or pants, for the life of me I cannot call them trousers, that you missed out on:

Edward got it right when he said:

It's a sharp look. You're bang on re herd instinct.... oddly, it seems to only have increased these days. Tribalism is something I can well understand. When I was younger, you were a punk or a goth or a grunger or whatever, part of a tribe, common interests, tastes, values - the tribal dressing was an emphasis of that. For those of us in various subcultures, it was both a statement of belonging to our own tribe, and also very strongly one of rejection of "the norm". These days, I'm not sure (aside from rare exceptions and the hipster thing) that many kids, at least here in the UK, are into an identifiable subculture thing to anything like the extent there used to be. ...

I so empathise with this observation. in my youth, it was the Mod look. But that look was fashion orientated. The song by The Kinks: "Dedicated Follower of Fashion," was so true. One week he's in polka dots, the next week he's in stripes................... That really was the way we conformed. But it didn't excuse, if that's the right word, tribalism. The peer pressure was probably of my own making, seriously, who cares if what one wears is 'right or wrong?'

It comes from within, we feel a need to belong, or perhaps, we feel a need not to be excluded. The only annoyance that I felt about those two young guys, was the sense of threat. My initial judgement was that this is confrontation, am I going to get a kicking for looking different? But once their attitude had mellowed, it was easy to talk. I'm glad that in my youth it was important to look good, but those two did teach me, along with Edward's eloquent take on the scene, that belonging is important for every generation, no matter how that manifests itself.

Last edited:

outsidebear

New in Town
All depends on the part of the country I'm in. Western US, usually get a compliment or they don't pay attention at all! ha
Back east a western hat often raises eyebrows, some of interest, some of surprise, some of huh?, but most have been met with politeness.

The fedora adds the finishing touch..

I had a younger lady and a senior citizen say pretty much the same thing to me today.

The younger lady, Sir, I wish all Man dressed your style of dress.

The Lovely senior lady, Your dressed like Man use to dress, I miss it!

It was a nice day!

Regards
CCJ

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How do folks react to your hat wearing?

image.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I find it funny that in real life a lot of people don't want to wear a hat but in "pixel world" they can't pass without them.
There is a online game I play called "Team Fortress 2". This is a combat game but some people dubbed it as "The Hat Simulator Game" because it have more hats than weapons. Hats generate more revenue to creators than weapons.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've received a variation of the dapper comment three times, yesterday, while wearing my light grey Stetson with a black band.

Yes, I've also been called John Dillinger and Don Draper that same day. I was wearing a grey plaid sports jacket, black pants, black chelsea boots, and a white shirt with a yellow knit tie, so all of that may have something to do with the commentaries. A couple of acquaintances thought everything was very inspirational. Wearing a hat does not always attract commentary from others, but almost every other occasion I do wear one, something may be said, remarks intended to be nice, I think.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
I've received a variation of the dapper comment three times, yesterday, while wearing my light grey Stetson with a black band.

Yes, I've also been called John Dillinger and Don Draper that same day. I was wearing a grey plaid sports jacket, black pants, black chelsea boots, and a white shirt with a yellow knit tie, so all of that may have something to do with the commentaries. A couple of acquaintances thought everything was very inspirational. Wearing a hat does not always attract commentary from others, but almost every other occasion I do wear one, something may be said, remarks intended to be nice, I think.

Nice lid, but I'm also a sword guy, and that rapier perked my interest...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The rapier isn't quality, it was about a hundred dollars. It's a nice decoration for the room, and I thought it was good to perch the hat on top of for the photo. It's not where I normally put the hat.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Here´s a bit of half serious stylish fun, me in my casual horse riding attire on my stallion:

Foto550-TOIPTJVO.jpg

Foto550-U3K3OTWA.jpg

Foto550-KQQMBKPV.jpg

Here my best suit, chamois breeches, brocade jacket/vest, satin shirt etc.

Foto550-M8FMPPXD.jpg

and ofcourse several in between

Foto550-HDEJXK4F.jpg

I can fill an hilarious booklet with how folk respond :D

Wowsers! You have the whole George Washington-esque look down right to the hair even! I would have to travel to Williamsburg, Virginia just to see anyone dressed in that colonial era garb round these parts. That horse isn't too shabby either!

Huertecilla

Banned
I try to keep up a daily morning routine of running down to the post office.
As my gf is off to family for Easter, yesterday morning I ran down with her egg delivery.
I dropped by at the p.o. to say good morning and they noticed a bag withh eggs so assumed I had come on wheels;
´¿Hola Petrus, where is you hat?´
Oi; que pena, I really like it wehn you wear a hat and the way you use it in style.´
Her collegue:
"SÍíi, a mi tambien; on market day when...."

After that had settled down, the first started a story about a wónderfull Sevillana dress she had seen in Málaga and that she immediateñy though of me etcetera etcetera.

My daily attire is quite utalitarian because of the farm chores but for leisure rpr shopping I try to add a bit of style ánd behave conform. The recent change to a beter quality of hat gets noticed and appreciated in a bíg way :eusa_clap

Huertecilla

Banned
I hardly believe that you guys do not have more positive experiences to share; I get one every other day at least.

Again this morning when I passed a terrace on my way to the market: ´Hey Petrus, I like your hat!!´
Resulting in me being invited to pull up a chair and have a coffee.
The two blokes calling me over are both my early pensioners´age and both wore the compulsary Panama mathcing the rest of their outfit.

"I had a smart hat like that when I was twentyfive." the other observed.
Since monday The Hat Lady had complimented that it made me look ten years younger and earlier had guessed me fifteen years too young I responded ´Well, that is about right then :D´ which he obviously did not get but at this moment Toñi brought the coffee anyway and two ladys were joining. Both in their fifties too and dressed as their mothers were at that age. Subsequently a live BBC costume drama developed, sadly lacking any plot though.

Upon leaving, feeling well chuffed, I signalled Toñi that the table was on my tab, leaving the rather spendthrifts with their colonial ponderings and decided to get some ice-cream to put in the freezer as surpise for my son and some flowers for his mother as they keep me young at heart.

Emisario

New in Town
Gentlemen,

I have a very unusual experience to tell you. This happened a couple of months ago in Vienna.

It happened at the drugstore, while I was waiting in line to buy some medicine for my last trip to India. I was wearing a brown leather jacket (a beautiful M422A from Eastman Leather) and my brown "Indiana Jones" fedora. I have to add I'm a big South American Indian, pretty unusual ethnicity here in Europe.
A guy came into the drugstore, over 30 years old, looking completely normal, then he saw me and just stood there, open-mouthed, eyes wide open, looking at me. I was expecting the usual Indy comment, but....
He said: "Yadda-yadda, yadda-yadda?", in a language I did not recognize
I said: "Excuse me?" in German
He looked completely shocked, and then said: "You don't speak Yiddish???"
Me: "Not really. Why should I?"
Incredulously, he said: "But you are wearing a hat! You are not Hebrew????"
"No"
"Oh. Ok...."
The whole time I was there he kept looking at me, still in shock.
Now, how can somebody speak Yiddish and have no idea how Orthodox Jews dress????
Yes, they do wear hats, but totally different ones, and I never saw one wearing a brown leather jacket and a brown hat!!
Like I said, a very unusual experience.

Alles Gute,
Emisario

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe