Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg no more

astaire

One of the Regulars
BigSleep said:
After much struggle with the bound edge including steaming and using my new hat flange I had to remove the ribbon in order to get the felt to conform to the fedora shape. No biggie to have a new one sewn on. There is only a slight tell-tale sign that one was there in the firast place. Almost all the stitching holes filled in while working the felt..

Hey BigSleep, let me be another one to congratulate you on a fine conversion.

Did you manage to sew back the ribbon on the edge of the brim? seems like a tricky one to do.

If you did, let me know if it was no biggie.

thanks!

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
astaire said:
Did you manage to sew back the ribbon on the edge of the brim? seems like a tricky one to do.

Hey Astaire.
I did not sew the ribbon back on. That is a littl out of my league.

I am picking up a hat at Barron's this week and if I like the work they've done I will have them put one on it.
The old one wont fit. In order to get the brim to conform to the Fedora style it needed to be able to spread a little, which the ribbon would not allow. So off it came.
It looks pretty good without it but Stetson didnt finish the edge as nicley as one that was going to be exposed.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
GentlemanFarmer said:
Super find. You've acquired quite a few nice hats lately. You okay with the boss-lady?

Hey G.F.
I'm still in solid with the boss. Ha. I have got a few brims lately but most have been under 40 or fifty bucks. One or two I bit my lip on and spend a hunk-o-doe.

I think my wife is just happy I'm not spending it 500 at a whack on my motorcycle anymore.

Plus, I think she likes me better in a nice fedora and nice casual button up shirt (which I tend to wear more with a nice hat) than a tshirt and ball cap.

Here in Southern California a hat is a necessity for those of us who are losing the mop on top.

The way I look at it is: I want a handful of nice hats. In order to do that with vintage stuff (which I tend to dig) you have to buy a few that you may ditch later. So I'll buy a few and sell a few and hope my need for a fix passes. I'm a hat junky and have been for years.;)

Gotta say "Uncle"

Well I know I'm done for awhile. Bought a new straw Open Road and Rick Blaine pointed me to a pretty nice BLACK Open Road, so with my other two OR (one's a Resistol San Antonio) I'm essentially done. My boss-lady is honestly gonna hurt me (really), so I figure I'm good for awhile. I'm going to do a brim cut-down ($10 at the local western store) on an old medium brown Resistol and use it as a beater. They've got the coolest tool to do it with. Takes off 1/8" each go-round till you get it where you want it. I may take it to a local millinery shop for a bound brim edge and a grossgrain hatband.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
GentlemanFarmer said:
Well I know I'm done for awhile. Bought a new straw Open Road and Rick Blaine pointed me to a pretty nice BLACK Open Road, so with my other two OR (one's a Resistol San Antonio) I'm essentially done. My boss-lady is honestly gonna hurt me (really), so I figure I'm good for awhile. I'm going to do a brim cut-down ($10 at the local western store) on an old medium brown Resistol and use it as a beater. They've got the coolest tool to do it with. Takes off 1/8" each go-round till you get it where you want it. I may take it to a local millinery shop for a bound brim edge and a grossgrain hatband.

Take some befor and after pics. Sounds cool. I bet that black OR is cool! I think I'm done for a while too. Gotta take stock and see what I might "need" ha. Really want a nice sliver grey OR. I pick up my tan one this week. Cant wait.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I priced one of those little buggers...

GentlemanFarmer said:
...the coolest tool to do it with. Takes off 1/8" each go-round till you get it where you want it.

... a brim trimmer I mean, Sharpy said it'd be costly & he was right, the manufactuer directed me to a local tack shop that said they would order me one for $50 bucks!
... AND THE D@MN THING IS, I LET ONE GO 2 WKS. AGO ON THE 'BAY THAT WENT FOR $15 & CHANGE :rage: :rage: :rage:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Boy will you Homburg wreckers be embarrassed when the homburg makes its inevitable comeback.

Nice jobs in the meantime though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally