Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Most hats carrying the Collins & Fairbanks mark on ebay seem to be top hats like this one. I'm not sure if they produced hats or retailed products under their brand name. Perhaps a label behind the sweat could give clues to the manufacturer?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Since they were a retailer, I'm willing to bet this is just a house brand made for them by someone else, and my suspicion is that's Hat Corporation of America. The size tag and the trefoil knot are consistent with HCA. It should be on par with Dobbs or Knox of the same period, in terms of quality. Investigation of tags is called for!

Brad

Miamibruno

One Too Many
I've come across a few Collins and Fairbanks and have always been impressed with their hats. And that hat is a beauty. It looks like she's found a good home. Congrats.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
DC7FF534.jpg

3DBED2B1.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Okay, it may or may not be Hat Corporation of America. The size tag in your earlier photos, along with the trefoil knot, are the same as used for Hat Corporation of America, as is the tag in the last photo, the one that says SKY. The long factory label resembles the notched 1950s HCA labels, though the printing is different, as well as the size, judging by the greater number of perforations. HCA finally allowed the union back in 1946, but I have not seen an HCA hat with a union label until the mid-1960s. I'm not sure what to make of it. I've got some ideas, but they're pure speculation, so no use muddying the waters further.

Thanks for posting those.

Brad

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My nice tall 30s crown Belamey homburg was simply not getting any wear, so I changed the crease in hopes of it getting more head time; it's such a nice hat. The center crease wasn't working for me, and a very high front crease worked pretty well, but I thought I'd go "high gambler" and so far I think I can dig it. We'll see how often it shows up...

dblq.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Me too. My homburg appetite can be insatiable at times. This one is dark brown ribbon on what I'd call a "tobacco brown" felt, and has that neat binding where the underside shows more ribbon than the top, and the top has the extra stitching where the edge of the underside is sewn.

Monte

Practically Family
There's something very genuine and authentic about this hat, and that's why I like it so much. It's not your typical big-name brand. :thumb:

CC21F2AA.jpg

A'n'A, I like the way that hat looks. You pull off the look nicely. I haven't worn my black one yet and I suspect it's because it's black. That gray is great and looks good with the blue.
Jeff, Nice look on that tall crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe