Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Gromulus

Practically Family
My first Homburg.

I have no idea who made it. It was made for G.M McKelvey Co. of Youngstown, Ohio. Under the sweatband is a union hatter's label and a $9.99 price tag from McKelvey's. One estimate is that it dates from the 1930's. Another from the 1950's. The felt is pretty good. Only two tiny moth bites. The binding has a little bit of discoloration and the sweatband shows a little wear. Otherwise, it is pretty presentable. Now I just need to hire some bodyguards. ;)

I like that one! Looks great on you.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My first Homburg.

grayhomburg.jpg

fmw,
THAT is one NICE, NICE Homburg and YOU look the BEST of ANY others who have worn one on this site!! It looks to be THE hat for you !! :)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Barlesoni Homburg that I purchased from Rodkins here on the forum. It's a little small for a 7 3/4 but still fits ok. In the first picture my wife's wearing a Dobbs.
IMG_4299s.jpg

IMG_4446s.jpg

IMG_4447s.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Picked up this Mallory Ten homburg today from my local vintage shop. It's missing its oilskin liner tip (you can still see the remnants). I suspect it to be post-takeover; the date on the liner is 1817, not 1823. Buler says it's roughly late 40's. It fits me, so I think I'll keep it.

flute1.jpg

flute2.jpg

flute3.jpg

flute4.jpg

flute5.jpg

I bought it and the box it's pictured on for a song; only $17 for the lot!

And many thanks to Alan for hosting these for me!

Cheers,

fmw, Thanks!

Alex, I really like the rich brown felt on your Kenilworth! Super!

CaseChopper, Really cool binding on the Barlesoni! Also great color combinations -> felt, ribbon and binding! Your wife looks super in the Dobbs too. Need to get her a Homburg!

Fluteplayer07, Beautiful Mallory. I like the blocking and the wide ribbon! Great find!

Fantastic to see all these Homburgs popping up!

sja

New in Town
After much careful measuring I purchased one on line from Christy's via Hornet Hats. When delivered it was far too tight. Can someone help? Should I order the next size up, or go to a shop to be measured (before ordering again on line where the prices are about 50% of the shop price!)

fmw

One Too Many
I view it as bad manners to knowlingly use the shop's time with no intention of buying from them. They are running a business. Get a tape measure and measure your head around where the sweat band will lie. Do it 3 times. Post the results here. You will get your size. In the mean time you might as well return the tight hat and get a size larger. Incidentally, it is always better to have a hat a little loose than a little tight. You can pad the sweat band to snug up the fit. Too tight is plain uncomfortable.

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
In the "Ask question, get an answer" I got the recommendation of getting rid of the pinch in my homburg. So how big pinch would be acceptable? If none at all.

In today's society it doesn't matter since people are not wearing a hat any more but I'd still like to go the traditional way.:p

PresidentHat.jpg

This late 50s early 60s Homburg was blocked by P. & C. Habig (Vienna, Austria) so you can see where they put the dents. I would say this is a good model to follow if you want to apply side dents.

5478867353_e8a4931c74_z.jpg

5479468146_6d717a58f4_z.jpg

indigocat

New in Town
Hah. Thanks! I'm glad I could help out. I found a thread here mentioning a Lagomarsino Nutria, and I found their official website here. They're based out of Argentina. In this thread, Steven from Bencraft states that "...the quality was better than any hat made here in the USA including Stetson and Bailey...".

I agree; I've lived in Buenos Aires for 3 1/2 years, and Lagomarsinos are made of high-quality felt; I own 2 fedoras made by Lagomarsino, and I'm definitely getting a gray Homburg from them next month :)

sja

New in Town
I measured my head a number of times, as did my wife. The measurement was then sent with the order. The resultant hat was so tight I could hardly get it on. Hence the thought that having my head measured in a shop would be the best way forward. The same hat bought in a shop I could get to, or actually has them in stock, would be a minimum of £215, whereas on line it is £65.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
A quality homburg is still on my wishlist, but I've been working on converting a Scala derby lately. I wasn't happy with the symmetry of the open crown, so here's my conversion to date. Can I put this in the homburg category, even though I put a little pop-up in the middle of the center crease (it was too low to wear with a deep crease!)? I'll call it the "derburg" just to be safe!
Before:
scalabowler.jpg
[/IMG]
Now:
005zd.jpg

008qbu.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member