Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

fmw

One Too Many
In my ignorance I bought my first vintage homburg this evening on Ebay. G.M. McKelvey, apparently was a department store in downtown Youngstown, OH. I don't know when it closed but the founder, George M McKelvey died in 1905. The manufacturer of this hat could well remain a mystery. I did some internet research and encountered nothing other than references to the department store. At any rate, this is what it looks like. Anybody have an idea of possible age?

gmminterior.jpg

gmm.jpg

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting. I wonder what the Cellini - Barbisio connection is? As far as I know Barbisio was out of Italy. Does the other Barbisio tag have any additional information?

The other tag just says Barbisio in the corner, and then stamped "Negro" with some numbers that I assume are the style designation. I found another tag that has the punti size it says "6 - 59" which I think is pretty interesting. It has punti and metric, but not US, despite being a hat "made expressly for Feltly Hats" in Brooklyn.

By the way, here is the store it originally came from.
980764553_006fc757a0.jpg

Last edited:
The other tag just says Barbisio in the corner, and then stamped "Negro" with some numbers that I assume are the style designation. I found another tag that has the punti size it says "6 - 59" which I think is pretty interesting. It has punti and metric, but not US, despite being a hat "made expressly for Feltly Hats" in Brooklyn.

By the way, here is the store it originally came from.

Maybe Cellini reworked it or licensed the Barbisio name. As I mention Besdor (Steven) from Bencraft might know but I haven't seen him post lately.

billyspew

One Too Many
In my ignorance I bought my first vintage homburg this evening on Ebay. G.M. McKelvey, apparently was a department store in downtown Youngstown, OH. I don't know when it closed but the founder, George M McKelvey died in 1905. The manufacturer of this hat could well remain a mystery. I did some internet research and encountered nothing other than references to the department store. At any rate, this is what it looks like. Anybody have an idea of possible age?

Well it has to be before 1969 when they merged with Higbee's.

I would guess early 1950's from the sweatband and size tag - the size tag looks the same as many of the Frank H. Lee hats of that era.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
For being a relatively fixed form, unlike the fedora with its countless varieties of creases and brim configurations, the homburg is deceptively difficult to get just right. I have been tweaking my Cellini, and I have finally gotten the brim to curl just how I like it, and have the dent straight and the depth I want.
Photo57.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For my education, what clues does it provide visually? There might be some information under the sweat band. We'll see.

gmm.jpg

I guess the high crown and it being a homburg. I look at them intuitively based on old movies. I say that particular hat would have been in style in the 1930s, and out of style by the 1940s. By then, wider-brim and lower-crowned hats were more in. Yes, a homburg of that shape could have been sold and bought later than the 30s. No, you couldn't say absolutely that it's from when I think it is. But it looks like 30s style to me. That's how I do it, darn the torpedos, full speed ahead.

Last edited:

Alex

Practically Family
For being a relatively fixed form, unlike the fedora with its countless varieties of creases and brim configurations, the homburg is deceptively difficult to get just right. I have been tweaking my Cellini, and I have finally gotten the brim to curl just how I like it, and have the dent straight and the depth I want.
Photo57.jpg

Lookin' good Yeps, makes me wish I had a homburg in my possession that actually fit:p

buler

I'll Lock Up
Dalton Regal Quality

Very rich brown color Dalton Regal Quality. Nicely constructed hat. "Rope" style reed cloth. Fancy rear bow.

B

dalton_1.jpg

dalton_2.jpg

dalton_3.jpg

dalton_4.jpg

dalton_5.jpg

dalton_6.jpg

dalton_7.jpg

dalton_8.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Nice one! Those soft wide-binding Homburgs are very casual and wearable. Quite soft and flexible felt if its like my green Dalton which looks very similar.

Borsalino Homburg "Echter"

Black Echter Borsalino Homburg. It is a size 6 Punti and is in very good condition. Probably late 1950s.

5469102464_c1979bd00d_b.jpg

5468507499_548a55f4ef_b.jpg

5469103538_1c131c684b_b.jpg

5469103618_031d27dea6_b.jpg

5469104056_bfd59b5533_b.jpg

5469103818_e08f295c80_b.jpg

5468508595_af279d9cf0_b.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
My first Homburg.

grayhomburg.jpg

mckelveyhomburg.jpg

mckelveyhomburginterior.jpg

I have no idea who made it. It was made for G.M McKelvey Co. of Youngstown, Ohio. Under the sweatband is a union hatter's label and a $9.99 price tag from McKelvey's. One estimate is that it dates from the 1930's. Another from the 1950's. The felt is pretty good. Only two tiny moth bites. The binding has a little bit of discoloration and the sweatband shows a little wear. Otherwise, it is pretty presentable. Now I just need to hire some bodyguards. ;)

Black Echter Borsalino Homburg. It is a size 5 1/2 Punti and is in very good condition. Probably late 1950s.

Beautiful example. There is something about that paper liner protection on Borsos that expresses a different era for detail and quality... always great to see when intact. The rest of the hat is smashing too.

Beautiful example. There is something about that paper liner protection on Borsos that expresses a different era for detail and quality... always great to see when intact. The rest of the hat is smashing too.

Alan, Thanks! Borsalino had super consistency + quality up to the early 1980s. They were "The Last of the Mohicans" when it came to super high quality factory made hats.

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments. My wife's comment was "now you need to run for mayor of Chicago." I guess she remembers Mayor Dailey wearing his homburg. Mayser, your new Homburg looks very elegant. You made a super score there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe