Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

thebroker

One of the Regulars
My "Homburg"

Some of you may have already seen my new "homburg" on the eBay thread, but I wanted to post here to announce my almost official qualification for membership in the Homburg Nation! I say almost because this hat didn't start out as a homburg. I bought it on eBay for practically nothing, and it was filthy and certainly didn't look much like a homburg. However, after it got here and I tried it on, I thought hmm...it does sort of look like a homburg. After doing a little research, it seems that Stetson originally meant for this to be a western style design. In fact, the liner has the graphic of the gentleman giving his horse a drink of water from his hat, which I believe Stetson reserved for western style hats. Since I didn't really have an attachment to it as-is, and since I really only bought it because it was so cheap (they say you can go broke buying things on sale!), I decided to have a little fun. I've been wanting a gray homburg, so I packed it up and sent it to Drew Williams at Clean A Hat. I asked him to give it a good cleaning, a center dent bash, and switch out the ribbon. I got it back this morning, and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out!

Before:
GrayHomburgBefore.jpg

After:
GrayHomburg.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here is my Stetson Royal De Luxe, St. Regis. I'm not 100% sure of the age of this one, but I would hazard a guess at the mid 1950's. Could be wrong though. I would think the experts here would know by the liner.
100_5817.jpg
100_5775.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

billyspew

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Here is my Stetson Royal De Luxe, St. Regis. I'm not 100% sure of the age of this one, but I would hazard a guess at the mid 1950's. Could be wrong though. I would think the experts here would know by the liner.
100_5817.jpg
100_5775.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Looks great, but I'd hazard a guess at earlier. The Royal Stetson De Luxe, rather than Royal De Luxe Stetson was an earlier depiction, also no oil or plastic cover.

My best guess would be early 40's.

gimli_axe_wielder

New in Town
First time here. Just wondering if you guys can help me. I've had this hat for years and years now. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about it. The manufacturer is Herbert Johnson. I don't know the proper age but it does say By Appointment, Hatter, H.M. The King so obviously it's pre1953 when Queen Elizabeth II became queen. It also says Made Specially for Pesterre's, Beverly Hills. I have found a very little bit about Herbert Johnson. They apparently still make hats and do a lot for the British armed forces, but their website is next to no help at all for what they make now. No photos really, just an email address for inquiries.

I can't find anything about Pesterre's so I have no idea what that is.

Thanks to this site I've made the assumption that this is a Homburg. This photo may not be the best but it has only the center crease at the top, no little indents or anything and the edge of the brim goes up a bit all the way around. No idea if I am saying things properly, forgive me if not!

It seems to be about right size wise for me, but I think I want to get it cleaned and I think reblocked is the term. It's a bit wonky at the top, not all that crisp anymore. There are some little indents and stuff that are not supposed to be there. I guess 60 + years will do that to a hat!

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know if it's valuable. I don't want to sell it but it would be nice to know if I'm walking around with $30 on my head or $300!

5130900360_1024e284c1.jpg

5130297889_7f84438dbb.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Paladin

Welcome gimli. Your Herbert Johnson homburg is a very nice specimen. I would hazard the age at possibly the middle 1930's to early 1940s based on what appears to be a taped instead of stitched sweatband and the markings indicated. I would think it is not terribly valuable based on e-Bay sales prices I have seen on a couple in the last year or so, going for around $100 or so. Hope this is somewhat helpful; there are many others here more accurate than me with their hat dating techniques so if I'm off, I hope they will correct this.

Mr. Paladin

This is a Biltmore homburg I just picked up off e-Bay. While not particularly old, it is a very nice hat with a great velour style of felt. It will be very nice for dress occasions. The tag in the last photo was attached to the hat by a couple of perforations, so I removed it rather than risk losing it.

BiltmoreShepler-Stetson001.jpg

BiltmoreShepler-Stetson006.jpg

BiltmoreShepler-Stetson013.jpg

BiltmoreShepler-Stetson012.jpg

BiltmoreShepler-Stetson007.jpg

BiltmoreShepler-Stetson015.jpg

BiltmoreShepler-Stetson003.jpg

Last edited:

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Just picked up a Homburg at South Street Hats in Philadelphia. It's a Selentino, and had it adjusted by the marvelous JJ Hats in Manhattan. Pics to come soon.

Last edited:
Mayser Hut Seidl Homburg

Light to medium brown, size 58cm and near new condition. Sweatband date stamped 12/27/58. Hut Seidl Munich had a direct relationship with Mayser so this is some type of custom model. This is my new first place Homburg.

5224029121_b4cde8516e_b.jpg

5224627398_816bb82116_b.jpg

5224627150_5b74ea3e92_b.jpg

5224026915_cf89140904_b.jpg

5224027731_8aabfd4e17_b.jpg

5224028649_6d411f8b1f_b.jpg

5224028277_7ff43c6e69_b.jpg

5224028417_fdafe7d63d_b.jpg

5224026293_706e0ac5e0_b.jpg

5224623836_60f7a00a89_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads