Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywoodland

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I may see this one just for the supporting cast and the wardrobe. The story may be fair too, but I'm still not sold on Ben. Bob Hoskins on the other hand would be worth seeing.

Now, I just saw the trailer for Flyboys, that looks like it will be worth the price of admission just for the aerial battles. They look a lot like the aerial filming in the Aviator when H.H. was shooting Hells Angels.

Cheers!

Dan

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I really cant wait for this movie to come out, and I agree, Ben Affleck seems like an odd choice, but I hope he pulls it off. I remember when there was a time that no one believed me that Hollywood used to be Hollywoodland. I love era peices!...if only to oogle at the clothing..

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a neat little article in the latest Entertainment Weekly (not online unfortunately) showing this season's retro movies (Hollywoodland, Black Dahlia and Idlewilde) and music (Christina Aguilera's new look and sound) and the vintage influence they will have on fall fashion. Of course the examples they feature are all designer and all mega $$.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
The Black Dahlia....

....feels like I am watching a non-animated trailer of Sin City.....especially due to the modern music of the trailer.

I don't know if I want to see something that slimy. After seeing Sin City, I felt like I needed a bath. If the sound track really sounds like that, I will pass regardless.

Twitch

Ben Affleck is so "average" to me as an actor. Just nothing stands out or is remember-able about any of his performances.[huh]

I find it just stupid the way casting is done. Like that twerp Regis Philbin was the only warm body with a SAG card. They had him on every morning and damned near every night with that millionare crap show. Come on, there's tons of talented people out there!

Hondo

One Too Many
Ben Affleck's acting

Twitch said:
Ben Affleck is so "average" to me as an actor. Just nothing stands out or is remember-able about any of his performances.[huh]

I find it just stupid the way casting is done. Like that twerp Regis Philbin was the only warm body with a SAG card. They had him on every morning and damned near every night with that millionare crap show. Come on, there's tons of talented people out there!

In Armageddon he was especially good being chased by shot gun welding Bruce Willis lol Does it seem like everyones been after him ever since? We all know his limited acting skills, I don't know how he gets roles just by his pretty boy looks:eek: I enjoyed Reindeer Games but not because of Affeck (isn't he the duck in those commericals?) but Gary Sinise, and Charlize Theron ;) So hear ya, theirs a whole set of talented actors waiting. I hope we've seen the last of Philbin crap.

Hondo

One Too Many
Gary Sinse

Tony in Tarzana said:
Gary Sinise is an exception to the declining trend of Hollywood. He's a throwback to the era of the journeyman character actor. He's a decent human being, too.

Yup great actor, man of many talents, musician, Lets hear it for Lt. Dan :eusa_clap

flat-top

The Black Dahlia.....

MK said:
....feels like I am watching a non-animated trailer of Sin City.....especially due to the modern music of the trailer.

I don't know if I want to see something that slimy. After seeing Sin City, I felt like I needed a bath. If the sound track really sounds like that, I will pass regardless.
Maybe not slimy, but this is going to be a dark movie. We all know the lurid subject matter of the story, and check out these two recent quotes from director Brian De Palma: "In L.A. Confidential, the detective gets the girl.That doesn't happen in The Black Dahlia.It's just a descent into hell." And "This is noir to the nth degree. It's just as dark as it gets."

Feraud

Bartender
I just saw a trailer for Hollywoodland on television. It does have an L.A. Confidential look to it. Affleck is definitely mediocre but I am hoping for a well written, directed, ensemble style film to carry his lack of talent.

flat-top said:
"In L.A. Confidential, the detective gets the girl.That doesn't happen in The Black Dahlia.It's just a descent into hell." And "This is noir to the nth degree. It's just as dark as it gets."
And that is exactly why I love Noir! Give me the fatalistic angst, double cross, femme fatale, existentialism, and all that doom and gloom in my dramas.
Whether or not Noir is alive or relevant in any modern film is debatable. What I do see is definite elements of Noir in quite a few modern films and I like it!

Twitch

And if we switch gears to comedy we can see there's another area lacking in Hollywood. Like the stupid previews to that jerk Will Ferrel's latest movie. Who besides a retard would find any of those clips humorous? :rolleyes:

The ilk of comedy in the cinema today reflect the likes of W.C. Fields and the 3 Stooges lol as towering giants by comparison.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I have heard mixed reviews about Ben's acting- but I am anxious to see it- for the obvious reasons... but I am not familiar with the story at all, so I am sure I'll be amused by it anyway! Yes I am excited about all the retro movies coming out! I need a list to keep them straight... :)

Tony in Tarzana~~ LOVE the new pic! Very daper!!:eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

I'm hoping to see it too, but I might wait for a week day afternoon. I really hate going to the big theaters, especially the ones in the city on the weekend. If I go during the week, I might enjoy it more.

Feraud

Bartender
I never thought I would pay to see Ben Affleck in a theater and enjoy it but I did.
Let me say outright I am no expert on the life and death of George Reeves. I know him from the Superman series I watched as a kid. The film is a superficial examination of the rise and fall (by suicide) of George Reeves. I cannot nit pick how accurate the movie is in terms of what did or did not happen in the life, death, and investigation of G.R. I walked into the film with a slight appreciation of the man who was Superman.

The production on this film is excellent. The costumes are amazing. The sets and vehicles are a treat to see. The cinematography switches seamlessly from grainy color motel rooms to fine restaurants and black & white scenes.

The film uses a plot device of the private detective investigating Reeves’ death to tell the story in flashback mode. Adrian Brody is the fictional protagonist in the present (1959) who battles the L.A. cops and MGM studio executive to make sense of Reeves death. He is “hired” by Reeves' mom to uncover the truth about her son’s death. His character is developed for us by observing his failed marriage and emotional issues his son is experiencing over the death of the television idol Superman. I would have preferred less of this storyline.

Affleck does a great job as the frustrated Reeves trying to make it in Hollywood. He certainly looks the part of a classic Hollywood star with his big smile, charisma, and Kirk Douglas-like cleft chin. He shows tons of charisma and pathos in the role without the usual camera mugging I have seen from him. He would do very well to choose his film roles more wisely in the future. Perhaps his next Oscar will be deserved.

Like the ending of Reeves' life this film will leave you wondering what happened. Some questions are never answered and this is one of them. Rather than feeling cheated because there is no strict conclusion I viewed Hollywoodland like taking a short stroll into the less glamorous side of the desire for fame.

Next up The Black Dahlia!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
no hollywood ending

Of course dont read on since it might spoil the film for you....

I saw the film tonite. Very nice cast. Fine vehicles, costumes, sets.
But I wasnt wowed.

The film goes round & round as AdrienBrody investigates the suicide & stirs up the stink. So we see the story in flashbacks. We see Brody's theoried alternatives to what happened that nite. A couple different murder angles, an accidental shooting, or a sad clown crying on the inside while laughing for the audience.
Like the BettiePage movie, it doesnt really take a position or offer a solution. It just depicts a seedy unfulfilled showbiz life. No real payoff in the ending.
I wish this were more like the BruceLee bio. Tho that's also about an untimely death of a TV/Movie performer, it was much more vibrant.That story celebrated, Hollywoodland is sullen & dreary.

I did like littl details in Hollywoodland. Like his initial Superman costume is brown&grey so it will appear contrasty in B&W. If its a hit, he'll get a proper blue&red costume for those color TVs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally