Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Smoker Smell!

Jovan

Suspended
I left some of my stuff at the apartment I stayed in briefly... and I picked it up, only to find my shirt and a few other clothes smell like SMOKE. A foul combination of cheap cigarettes and weed. The thought totally didn't occur to me.

What should I do? Febreze, wash, do something else?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
I left some of my stuff at the apartment I stayed in briefly... and I picked it up, only to find my shirt and a few other clothes smell like SMOKE. A foul combination of cheap cigarettes and weed. The thought totally didn't occur to me.

What should I do? Febreze, wash, do something else?

Well if they can be washed yes...wash them. I mean I am assuming that you would wash the shirt at some point anyhow...so thats always worked for most smoke smells.

if its dry cleanable...do that..

Jovan

Suspended
I guess. The thing about the other clothes is I /just/ got them for my Hallowe'en costume. Ick. I might try Febrezing them and seeing how that works out. The shirt in question is the safari shirt I showed in the Adventurers Gear thread.

scotrace: I meant no disrespect to smokers here, sorry. Though this new thread title does better get across the point.

cemetarian

Vendor
You're gonna laugh....but morning dew is the very best thing............if washing doesn't do the trick..............but try soap and water first (if possible)..........hang outside in the early morning dew and let hang till dry............it is amazing what Mother Nature will do (or dew)......

I'm one who fancies a cigar, or sometimes even a pipe, on a particularly celebratory occasion. For smoking jackets, I usually hang it in a well ventilated area overnight, and its pretty good to go. However, if it's really bad:

If its a tailored garment, and you want to avoid having it dry cleaned (as you should as much as possible), hang it out for a time to breath, steam it well, let it air, brush it out, then steam and air it again. Unless it's a really bad soil, that should do it. If that doesn't work, have it cleaned - very gently, and by someone who knows how.

Other things (shirtings, etc.) - wash and have laundered as directed on labels.

Jovan

Suspended
Thanks. I may try hanging them on the porch overnight (screened porch) so I can avoid washing them. If that doesn't work... guess it's off to the washer. All of these are machine washable items.

eightbore

Suspended
I think Fabreeze is a miracle worker. The smells that I have seen Fabreeze eliminate would curl most peoples' nose hairs. A heavy spritz of that stuff one day with a spritz of cologne or after shave the next should be the end of the weed smell.

eightbore

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
eightbore said:
I think Fabreeze is a miracle worker. The smells that I have seen Fabreeze eliminate would curl most peoples' nose hairs. A heavy spritz of that stuff one day with a spritz of cologne or after shave the next should be the end of the weed smell.

I am consistently unimpressed with Febreze. It just leaves you smelling like...Febreze. Just wash the dang things!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I think fabric refreshers smell as bad as the stuff they are trying to cover/remove. I had a cape that smelled of mothballs & I used Febreeze on it & 7-8 years later it smells like mothballs & Febreeze. I've even washed it & that perfumey-smell remains. For removing smoke I'd say mix in some baking soda into the wash (with your soap), and let it soak awhile. You might try washing things with dish soap, or use any heavy-duty, non-bleach liquid cleansers as a pre-wash soak. But not pure ammonia.

eightbore said:

eightbore

That seems only to *temporarily* cover odors, not get them out.

cemetarian

Vendor
Kitty.....I think it's a guy thing...........the love affair with Fabreeze.........the DH swears by it..........and YUCK! Carpet Fresh.....I think both just add a layer of sweet to the smell that's already there..............I much prefer Baking Soda or soap and water smell to the cover up of the other things.......of course I use LOTS of vinegar when I'm laundering vintage clothes.........that kills lots of odors.

Wow....several posts while my old fingers were typing...........and it looks like I'm not alone and it isn't just a guy thing after all..............glad to know that.

eightbore

Suspended
cemetarian said:
Kitty.....I think it's a guy thing...........the love affair with Fabreeze..........

In the same way that all of us men somehow think that 10 minutes in the dryer can make any filthy garment clean again? :) :) :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe