Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Dating 1930's-ish Hercules Half Belt

m.a.g.vintage

New in Town
Hello good people! I have just purchased this jacket for myself and was wondering if someone could help me with dating this piece? Seems to have remnants of the "Giant Label" that has been torn from years of wear, and maybe a replaced zipper from a later year? Have been scouring the internet for catalog pictures and old photos to no avail other than button front mackinaw styles from seemingly the same era. Educate me please!

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• HERCULES .png
    HERCULES .png
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • HERC2.png
    HERC2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • HERC3.png
    HERC3.png
    789.5 KB · Views: 41

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hello good people! I have just purchased this jacket for myself and was wondering if someone could help me with dating this piece? Seems to have remnants of the "Giant Label" that has been torn from years of wear, and maybe a replaced zipper from a later year? Have been scouring the internet for catalog pictures and old photos to no avail other than button front mackinaw styles from seemingly the same era. Educate me please!

Thanks in advance!!
Just my view. The jacket looks mid 50s. The zipper could tell a big story if it is original to the jacket. If you can, please post images of front and back of zipper slider and box. An Image of the front of the zipper's pull will also help.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Thanks in advance!!

Here is your jacket in the 1940 Sears catalog. Advertised as 29 inches long, there is another model that is 27 long. The upper pockets are a bit of a hold over from the longer heavier wool jackets of the era. I see part of the label that also reminds me of the Giant label. This label was still in use, but usually located in a different location.

The zipper pull is 1950s, so a changed zipper.

1727973760129.jpeg

m.a.g.vintage

New in Town
Just my view. The jacket looks mid 50s. The zipper could tell a big story if it is original to the jacket. If you can, please post images of front and back of zipper slider and box. An Image of the front of the zipper's pull will also help.

Here is your jacket in the 1940 Sears catalog. Advertised as 29 inches long, there is another model that is 27 long. The upper pockets are a bit of a hold over from the longer heavier wool jackets of the era. I see part of the label that also reminds me of the Giant label. This label was still in use, but usually located in a different location.

View attachment 644342

View attachment 644342
thank you so much!!! if the zipper has any issues I may replace with a old stock period accurate one just for fun (if i can find one lol).

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
If the zipper has some mechanical uses. Use a pencil to clean it well. Remove all the dirt and gunk. Then after cleaning it with the pencil, go over it again making sure you rub all that lead in to the metal parts.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
thank you so much!!! if the zipper has any issues I may replace with a old stock period accurate one just for fun (if i can find one lol).
I have a collection of wool jackets and don't worry about the original zipper. This jacket could well have a Sunrise Talon zipper as original. These are hard to find. You know it is from the early 40s.

I have a similar jacket. If you follow the below link to my youtube channel I recently did 2 videos examining Wool jackets from this era.

m.a.g.vintage

New in Town
If the zipper has some mechanical uses. Use a pencil to clean it well. Remove all the dirt and gunk. Then after cleaning it with the pencil, go over it again making sure you rub all that lead in to the metal parts.
thank you! Another jacket I have needs some zipper help so I'll try that on that one too

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrgorve