Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
Busted Hat in blue with a red drink in hand

IMG_0565.jpeg

Sorry, no hat, though of course I did wear a couple today.
We opened a bottle of Arran Sherry Cask. Loved it. We’ve ordered another bottle and one of the Quarter Cask.
View attachment 619830 View attachment 619831
Glad to see this & hear that you both like the Sherry Cask. Not seeing an age statement I’m assuming it is an NAS? I bought a bottle of the Robert Burns & always heard two different stories: 1) that it was a blend of Arran single malts laid down at Springbank when Arran was closed; 2) that it was actually distilled by Springbank. Don’t know which to be true, if either is. Arran Distillery has been back open long enough to be putting out some aged malt now. I need to pay closer attention to what they are doing.

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Glad to see this & hear that you both like the Sherry Cask. Not seeing an age statement I’m assuming it is an NAS? I bought a bottle of the Robert Burns & always heard two different stories: 1) that it was a blend of Arran single malts laid down at Springbank when Arran was closed; 2) that it was actually distilled by Springbank. Don’t know which to be true, if either is. Arran Distillery has been back open long enough to be putting out some aged malt now. I need to pay closer attention to what they are doing.
Yes, no age statement. At 55.8, it’s a similar strength to the Scarabus Batch Strength, but a lot smoother. Etsuko couldn’t handle the Scarabus without some ice added. The Arran, on the other hand was a lot smoother, but still very flavourful. She loved it straight (as did I).

Abraxas Imperial Stout, by Perennial Artisan Ales, St. Louis, MO. 11.5% ABV. Another warmer day so I chose to be under a 10X Shantung OR.

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

There are 3-4 high octane ABV’s on this yrs Guild tour that I want to try before the month is out. I would call Abraxas as sort of a Mexican influenced Stout brewed with cacao nibs, vanilla beans & ancho chili peppers. A deep dark brown color with a thin head & mouthfeel, very little carbination.

IMG_0485.jpeg

The cacao nibs give it almost a burgundy wine taste up front. A touch of dark chocolate but it’s not bitter due to the vanilla beans, I suppose. The chili peppers are there but really come forward with a touch of cinnamon in the aftertaste. No heat or burn. Probably best served at a moderate temperature & not at 29*. No strong medicinal alcohol taste but if you’re a lightweight when it comes to high octane you might want to limit your intake to one. Definitely a sipper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld