Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Conversions and Refurbs by John Galt

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Hey John, I have another Resistol Stagecoach I want you to convert to an Indy fedora. I need to have the 4 inch brim trimmed down to 2 3/4 inches, front and back, and 2 5/8 inches on the sides....(but keep this between you and me. I don't want Joao to find out I'm trimming down a wide Western brim). ;)
Another indy fedora? :(

DOGMAN

One Too Many
I like my western conversions.I'm always bumping my hat when I get in the car or walking down the basement stairs.When I'm wearing a soft fedora it screws up my crease.If I'm wearing a western the crease holds up.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I like a soft felt hat. Not a western not a fan of the hard cardboard hat that a western hat is.

That's you. Not me. I'm someone who's very active and physical outdoors and at work. I want a casual hat of substance and function for my purposes. The tougher western weight felts provide the ruggedness and durability I need for an active lifestyle, (and the conversions give me the hat styles I want at a far more affordable cost). But, as the cliche goes, "To each his own". You like soft hats. I want something more rugged.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I just enjoy the hat as it is. a Resistol stagecoach good western hat. Just hate to see made into a different style. I buy hats to wear an each has it's spot.
I have hundreds of spots for hats.:) I good Western Hat like a Stagecoach should be enjoyed as is and cleaned up if needed to wear with pride.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I just enjoy the hat as it is. a Resistol stagecoach good western hat. Just hate to see made into a different style. I buy hats to wear an each has it's spot.
I have hundreds of spots for hats.:) I good Western Hat like a Stagecoach should be enjoyed as is and cleaned up if needed to wear with pride.
+1

John Galt

Vendor
It seems highly unlikely to me that this discussion will lead anyone (especially Joao ;-) to change their mind about this.

Like Mr. Wiser, I like to keep my own western hats "western," but in light of the dearth of good high and straight-crowned fedoras with decent felt quality that are available to buy or order in a working man's price range, I can certainly appreciate anyone's desire to convert a decent western hat - which are much more plentiful - to a vintage style fedora.

I do personally prefer old-school floppy-felted westerns to the modern working Cowboys' equivalent of a hard hat (I also find them more durable in the long run) and believe they make a better fedora (TJ's Nutria Quality Stetson is an example) but I certainly understand the draw of any western conversion.

I suppose this is a different way of me saying that "the customer is never wrong."

Modern stiff westerns are pretty similar in function to the bowler, which was developed for the specific need for durability & protection while rambling about in the brush chasing foxes. A good friend who was a working cowboy once told me that he and his buddies would stiffen their hats with sugar water to make them tougher.

The availability, durability & functionality of western hats coupled with generally higher felt quality & relative affordability is plainly what draws fellows like TJ and many others to western conversions.

I am just happy to help people realize their hat wearing fantasies ;-)

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Folks who don't think a soft hat can be durable have most likely never had an older, 100% beaver cowboy hat. Nothing takes abuse or cleans up better in my experience. I prefer my westerns almost as soft as fedoras, it's just harder to find them that way. If you're not "holding your mouth right," a good brisk wind down the canyon will blow a stiff western right off your head, sometimes causing a wreck amongst the riders behind you. A good vintage, dense but thin felt western will simply pop into "brim up" position and stay on your head. Same goes for re-shaping/blocking after a good storm. Modern over-stiffened cowboy hats can be goners after one good rainstorm, where a pure beaver will keep coming back to life. I've ridden through Texas brush, Montana forests and California brush that was thick as hell, and I never got any extra protection from a stiff hat. They are just more likely to get knocked off if a branch hits them, especially in the brim, since they don't give much. And in any case, is a little bit of shellac going to protect you from a real blow to the head? Just my experience, but I got my first real cowboy hat at about age 2 (Stetson, not one of those red Dale Evans things), and I've never been without a few for the last 48 years, so I've tried many of both kinds. I'll take a good old soft, pure beaver hat any day, fedora or western. And yes, I've converted several westerns for the reasons John listed above. Hard to find vintage fedoras in size 7 7/8. Frank.

frussell

One Too Many
My bad Alan, I've got an old nutria my grandpa gave me, you're absolutely right, they keep on kicking as well as any beaver. I've probably re-blocked that hat 10 times, not to mention the years of service to the previous owner. Still looks like new felt. Frank

John Galt

Vendor
Alan & Frank, I second (third?) everything you said. One particular floppy old Nutria Quality Stetson is my favorite by far, but the nutrias are all tops in my book. The durability of the nutria felt is second to none IMHO. There is a reason they were marketed to working Cowboys through the 1950's, and are still used in South America. The one I wore today is a gaucho style "Nutria" brand from Argentina, I believe.

John Galt

Vendor
P.S. Frank, your post reminded me of the much-pirated old Gail Gardner poem turned ballad, "Sierry Petes" (aka Sierra Peaks, Tyin Knots in the Devil's Tail, etc.).

My great grandfather was a real cowboy and a singing rodeo cowboy/square dance caller. He used to bounce me on his knee and sing me the song - always followed by a (rock) hard candy from the old-fashioned candy dish.

frussell

One Too Many
My grandpa favored horehound candy. It's an acquired taste. And if he sang, it was his own version of "Streets of Laredo," or "Sweet Betsy from Pike."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82