Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Cartoons

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wasn't Kliban the one who drew the famous tabby cats? Poster-sized fame in the 80's . . .

Probably was. I think he had a cat book. But the only one I was interested in was "Never Eat Anything Bigger than your Head," which my sister bought me for a birthday present out of the blue when I was 15. To me it's the most brilliant cartooning ever, blazing new trails. I don't want to say more than that.

Yep. Bernard "Hap" Kliban, who often signed his works as simply "B. Kliban", was arguably best known for his "Kliban Cats". His humor was sometimes considered to be "an acquired taste", but I had a real appreciation for it.

bkgrandmother.gif

^I know it's not hat-specific, but it's a fairly good example of Kliban's humor.

Somewhere 'round here I have the first three books: Cat (1975), Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head and Other Drawings (1976), and Whack Your Porcupine and Other Drawings (1977).

Last edited:

danofarlington

Great! Nothing like seeing a good example immediately. As far as I'm concerned Kliban started the absurd cartoon movement, which was valiantly but less ably continued by his acolyte Gary Larsen.

carldelo

One Too Many
Great! Nothing like seeing a good example immediately. As far as I'm concerned Kliban started the absurd cartoon movement, which was valiantly but less ably continued by his acolyte Gary Larson.

Yeah, I agree completely - I hadn't thought about Kliban in a long time, but this is a part of the seventies I'm happy to be reminded of..

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars

carldelo

One Too Many
Three of us from Engineering went to an outdoor honors ceremony a couple of weeks ago wearing fedora (I've started a localized trend in the Bronx) --- the Dean of Students said we reminded him of the Ant Hill Mob. I hadn't thought about them in a very, very long time....

WackyRacesAntHill_Mob.jpg

tealseal

A-List Customer
Three of us from Engineering went to an outdoor honors ceremony a couple of weeks ago wearing fedora (I've started a localized trend in the Bronx) --- the Dean of Students said we reminded him of the Ant Hill Mob. I hadn't thought about them in a very, very long time....

The one in the centre is obviously wearing a black Federation IV with a ribbon replacement....

Dixon Cannon

I don't have a copy handy ... but it would have to be the old Far Side that shows a vulture with a huge Stetson on and he's addressing a group of other vultures, saying: "Howdy, howdy, howdy ... I'm a cowboy!"
Funny stuff, Sam

Sam, I remember that one! Sick + silly = FUNNY!
farside8.jpg

"Hey! Look at me, everybody! I'm a cowboy! ... Howdy, howdy, howdy!"

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter