Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hat brushing

troy

One of the Regulars
ok, now I feel very stupid. I've held my hat as if for brushing, and I in fact also agree withh the recent posts and not my own. Shows how infrequently I brush my hats.

My apologies to all.:eek:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
daizawaguy said:
This counter clockwise debate is always confusing, until I saw the hairs of a long haired beaver...look closely...you cannot but brush against the lie of the felt...

Daizawaguy, I'd be tempted to use a flea comb on that one, just to be sure...it looks like you could part it in the middle, or to one side. ;)

Quite an amazing hat!

- Bill

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I never worry about the feather when I brush my hats. I just take the feather out, brush the hat, put the feather back in. Done! :) As for which direction in which to brush, I don't think it matters much. I just want to get rid of the dirt, and will brush in whichever direction gets the job done! I think its more important not to brush too hard to avoid tearing up the felt.

celtic

A-List Customer
Aerol said:
Graham at Optimo recommends against brushing. He says to use a tacky lint roller, instead.

I thought that I read on this forum somewhere NOT to use those on fabrics because they transfer chemicals and break down fabrics? I will have to search for the thread....

carldelo

One Too Many
celtic said:
I thought that I read on this forum somewhere NOT to use those on fabrics because they transfer chemicals and break down fabrics? I will have to search for the thread....

I think I'd use a lint roller only when really necessary. It seems to me that the heavy-duty lint rollers I use to deal with the high level of cat hair production in my house would pull the felt apart more aggesively than a brush. The brim brush I use is not very stiff - it doesn't feel like it's doing any damage at all when I use it. The crown brushes are even softer, if you're worried about it.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
OK, I've been wondering about this, so maybe I should ask here and now.

I don't have a hat brush, and didn't even know they came in crown and brim models! I've been using a Kiwi shoe brush. Don't get alarmed, this is not the stiff dirt-removing sort, but rather those little 4 cm round ones with bristles about an inch (2.5 cm) long, used for dusting off shoes or removing excess polish before shining. About as soft as a camel hair paint brush, or slightly stiffer.

Can anyone who knows the kind of brush I'm describing tell me whether a real hat brush would be any better, or significantly different?

- Bill

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
That's what I use, too, Woodfluter. In fact I think the humble shoebrush has, on other threads, been recommended as an acceptable substitute.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
HamletJSD said:
That's what I use, too, Woodfluter. In fact I think the humble shoebrush has, on other threads, been recommended as an acceptable substitute.

Thank you! Good to know. I started using a shoebrush because I had one lying around and it was clean and unused and seemed safe.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmmmmm....

Well, I do not brush hats every which way because I know this to be wrong and damaging. I do the clockwise routine which has been the norm for hatters for over a hundred years. I don't find it necessary to do this frequently at all, but when I do - and I'm talking about good quality fur felt hats - I use the following:

At my local western store, I purchased a couple of these little rough textured orange sponges which are designed to safely get the courser hairs and dirt particles off of a hat. After that, I use (also purchased at western store) a curved crown brush. I got a dark bristle one for dark felt hats and a light one for light hats. These tools didn't cost a lot and need only be bought once.

Probably the reason Optimo waives people off from brushing is because they've heard that they wind up using the wrong tools, and going against the grain of the felt, etc. and it's simpler for them to just say, 'Use a lint roller'.

I cringe.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
A shoe brush!!?? Oh no! Imagine using one of these on your shoes! You would not do that, would you!!?? lol lol lol
brush2.jpg

bendingoak

Vendor
hat

Brushing a hat will do wonders for it. Brush the top of the hat front to back. Then go around the crown counter-clockwise. Then sit the hat down and brush the brim counter-clockwise. After that turn the hat upside down ( so you can see the liner) and brush the brim clockwise.

I wouldn't use a lint roller.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Lint roller

Actually, I've seen Graham use a lint roller when at Optimo. And I really don't think he's worried about people who can afford $550 hats not being smart enough to follow brushing instructions.

I just think it's a case of newer, better technology replacing older techniques.

celtic

A-List Customer
Woodfluter said:
Thank you! Good to know. I started using a shoebrush because I had one lying around and it was clean and unused and seemed safe.

i bought one made from horsehair from CVS (druggist) for $4.99 yesterday.

worked very well.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Aerol said:
Actually, I've seen Graham use a lint roller when at Optimo. And I really don't think he's worried about people who can afford $550 hats not being smart enough to follow brushing instructions.

I just think it's a case of newer, better technology replacing older techniques.

Fair 'nuff. I'll give you - and him - that one.

I guess I'm just generally old fashioned about my 1930s and '40s hats. Makes sense now that I think about it. But I do stray from that with the orange sponge thingies.

Part of the benefit to my hats of the brushing is that some of the nicer felts take on something of a sheen. I like that.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

pplepic

Familiar Face
Okay, I feel foolish that I started this. However the two feathers that I have in two hats don't want to come out and I don't want to force them, but the part I feel foolish about is that because I'm left-handed and do everything backwards, I think I've been brushing clockwise instead of counter-clockwise, so from now on, I'm going with the slant of the feather and hope for the best.:eusa_doh:

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Brushes and Brushing

For most normally finished hats, feel free to brush in either direction and determine your preference. You are not going to damage your hat, as long as you use a soft horse hair brush. I think most shoe brushes are made of horse hair. Brushing gets any dirt out of the felt, a lint roller doesn't.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
OK, I've been wondering about this, so maybe I should ask here and now.

I don't have a hat brush, and didn't even know they came in crown and brim models! I've been using a Kiwi shoe brush. Don't get alarmed, this is not the stiff dirt-removing sort, but rather those little 4 cm round ones with bristles about an inch (2.5 cm) long, used for dusting off shoes or removing excess polish before shining. About as soft as a camel hair paint brush, or slightly stiffer.

Can anyone who knows the kind of brush I'm describing tell me whether a real hat brush would be any better, or significantly different?

- Bill

I've actually seen those exact brushes sold as hat brushes. Often as "crown" or "travel" hat brushes. I also sometimes use a soft, natural hair paint brush sometimes.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
pplepic said:
Okay, I feel foolish that I started this. However the two feathers that I have in two hats don't want to come out and I don't want to force them, but the part I feel foolish about is that because I'm left-handed and do everything backwards, I think I've been brushing clockwise instead of counter-clockwise, so from now on, I'm going with the slant of the feather and hope for the best.:eusa_doh:

lol Tee Hee.

Two wrongs don't make a right,.. but three lefts do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld