Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrison Ford picks the hat. Cowboys and Aliens

barrowjh

One Too Many
Cute discussion, where the hat is of great importance, but whether or not it is the right crown, taper, crease, et cet to fit Harrison Ford's face and build is not the topic - instead his character has to have the biggest hat because he plays the most powerful lawman in the movie (apparently). The 'stature' of the hat relative to other character's hats has to match the character's power level amongst the other characters.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, 1911. I guess I can't claim to be much of a movie guy.
Since I signed up for Netflix, all I've watched is Blackadder and Red Dwarf :D

HatsEnough

Banned
All we need is another western with all the wrong hats for the era the movie claims to be in. Well, at least it is a fantasy pic and not really a "western" proper.

Lando

Practically Family
cowboys-aliens-harrison-ford-photo.jpg

Maybe not authentic, but, not a bad hat though.

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hey, Dupe

I don't know about age, but I agree, though "True Grit" was not one of the Duke's better films.

The new one was more like the book, in places, and you did not have to sit through Glen Campbell and Kim Darby and that was worth a lot.

By the time the original got to the climax, I was rooting for the snake!

Anyway, Ford's hat isn't bad in C&A, but the one Daniel Craig wears isn't much to look at ... I understand, they aren't making the movie to show off hats, but ... I don't know, it just looks cheap

It is going to be a great flik, though and doesn't have either teen-angst ridden vampires or pimply wizards, so ... "Let's all go to the movies!"

Sam

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Dupe

I don't know about age, but I agree, though "True Grit" was not one of the Duke's better films.
If I'm up on my nicknames, I think Duper was saying he preferred the John Wayne film to the new one, correct? I think I have to agree with you, though, Sam. In fact, I'm having a hard time coming up with any John Wayne films that might be "one of his better films" at all...
Bridges was fantastic, as were his hats. I have to say I'm a bit partial to the derby he sported near the beginning of the film.
Can't say I'm going to be on the way to theater for Cowboys and Aliens, honestly, but will certainly netflix it just for the hats, eventually. ;)

T Rick

Practically Family
The Cowboys & The Shootist = Duke at his best, IMHO!
Next would be Hondo & Red River, again JMHO....
True, those were great, but he did so many movies... As for Westerns, I think my favorite of his were Rio Bravo and the remake, El Dorado. JMHO, but there were a lot of great ones.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Anyway, Ford's hat isn't bad in C&A, but the one Daniel Craig wears isn't much to look at ... I understand, they aren't making the movie to show off hats, but ... I don't know, it just looks cheap

Sam

I think the idea of Daniel Craig's hat looking cheap is spot on. I think that is what they were going for since it looks like he got the hat off of an attacker early on in the story, so it wasn't his hat to begin with. Some drifter/highwayman's hat. So, it should look a bit off on him. Just my observation of the costuming.

Ford's hat fits his dimensions, but I'm sure he wanted to get as far away from the Indy image as possible here. It's nice when you have a good amount of say in what your costume is going to look like so you at least feel the part that you are playing.

Cheers!

Dan

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Dan,

I agree with your reasoning wholeheartedly and I have heard that sort of thing expressed for years to excuse away the slip-shod hats in movies ever since the big studios sold off their collections.

But, here's the thing ... When Bogart is wearing that torn up fedora in Treasure of Sierra Madre, at least they began with a good hat. They didn't start with some cheap-o piece of junk.

Gangs of New York ... great hats

Lonesome Dove ... great hats

Both had lids that were supposed to be junkers, but at least they began with a quality hat

Just my opinion, of course ....

And you know what they say about opinions :)

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe