Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. 'H' said:
9760_full.jpg
I was just out and about looking for one of these today and couldn't find one. I just did a little online research and it appears that it's not available, and won't work in the US! I really wanted one these too. I wonder if there's a comparable US model.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I went to get my hair cut and did my best to explain what I wanted, including taking a couple photos in. The girl did an all-right job, though it could have been shorter on the sides and longer on top. Still, when my neighbor saw me for the first time after getting the cut he said it looked very '30s.

I've been using Alberto Balsam hair wax to keep things in place. It's not stiff like gel or spray, but it keeps my hair in place even after I've been wearing a hat, which is great because I get horrible hat hair.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I need to get a new barber. The one that I have been going to for the last year & a half has gone against what I said the last two times. It's too bad because he is a really great guy. The other kicker is that now I have to wait two months before I get another haircut to let my hair grow out to a decent length.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Bruce Wayne said:
I need to get a new barber. The one that I have been going to for the last year & a half has gone against what I said the last two times. It's too bad because he is a really great guy. The other kicker is that now I have to wait two months before I get another haircut to let my hair grow out to a decent length.

Good move. I'm sure there are lots and lots of men who don't see that it's best to go to someone who can cut the hair properly and who might not have much of a personality, rather than to go to someone who's a great guy and can't cut your hair the why you want it. Hope you find what you're looking for in a couple of months.

mattfink

Practically Family
Scotus said:
Good move. I'm sure there are lots and lots of men who don't see that it's best to go to someone who can cut the hair properly and who might not have much of a personality, rather than to go to someone who's a great guy and can't cut your hair the why you want it. Hope you find what you're looking for in a couple of months.

I agree...I'd rather put up with a jerk for a few minutes than have a terrible haircut.

Engaging someone knowledgeable to provide a service versus doing it the way I want it.

Here is the core problem when going to someone when you need something done. Sometimes in mechanical things you might have an idea that you want something in a design that is not possible or it's terribly difficult or overly complecated to do. Your provider should appraise your concepts and give you the positives and negatives as to what you want. He also needs to know why you want it that way, then sometimes he'll say "if you do it this way it will do the same thing or even be better."

In haircuts there are technical aspects to cutting that are in response to the type and condition of ones hair as well as the way it grows and even the shape of one's head which may not allow you to get what you want because it won't work the way you'd want it to work. A good barber or stylist should give you rreasons as to why or why not something will work. Maybe a small adjustment will get you close to what you want as opposed to something just not looking right. (I have babyfine hair which limits what I can do greatly.)

In the end, what often happens is the cutter simply does what they want, choosing from their limited collection of styles. It falls into: "this is the way we do it, we have always done it this way." Some people fall into a rut, don't like to change how they do things and will try their best to keep it that way.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
In haircuts there are technical aspects to cutting that are in response to the type and condition of ones hair as well as the way it grows and even the shape of one's head which may not allow you to get what you want because it won't work the way you'd want it to work. A good barber or stylist should give you reasons as to why or why not something will work.

An excellent point. Again, having someone that can explain this is more important than having the guy you really like who... sad to say... might just only be able to do a couple of styles which you don't like or which don't look good on you.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Scotus said:
An excellent point. Again, having someone that can explain this is more important than having the guy you really like who... sad to say... might just only be able to do a couple of styles which you don't like or which don't look good on you.

True! I must be lucky cause my barber really understands my hair an I like him!!

25112_112772085418665_100000576222707_153323_3048199_n.jpg

Scotus

One of the Regulars
djgo-cat-go said:
True! I must be lucky cause my barber really understands my hair an I like him!!

Yes! :) The very best is to have a barber who understands your hair, cuts it great, and who has a personality to match. None in the forum would argue with that.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
The evil Matt Deckard from the Star Trek Original series episode 'The Enemy Within" is easily recogonizeable.

Nope, the Evil Matt Deckard has a goatee.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Scotus said:
Again, having someone that can explain this is more important than having the guy you really like who... sad to say... might just only be able to do a couple of styles which you don't like or which don't look good on you.

In my opinion... if the barber can explain this, listen to you and work with you to create the style you want... you WILL like him!

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
In my opinion... if the barber can explain this, listen to you and work with you to create the style you want... you WILL like him!

Well... what I meant was that the guy could cut hair and explain it to you (which would make you like him as a barber), but he could be a b@#*&@# personality wise. But I suppose I'm splitting semantic hairs. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe