Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Annixter

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
You have to have wavy or curly hair, that's how I have mine. Do you have straight hair?

Habberdasher and Marc Chevalier, my hair is naturally semi-wavy, and it naturally waves on the top-right side more than anywhere else. However, when I use pomade and slick it back, it tends to take the wave out. If I use mousse, it waves much more, but I like using pomade for the hold and weight. Maybe it just isn't wavy enough, or is there a trick to training the hair to stay wavy there?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Annixter said:
Habberdasher and Marc Chevalier, my hair is naturally semi-wavy, and it naturally waves on the top-right side more than anywhere else. However, when I use pomade and slick it back, it tends to take the wave out. If I use mousse, it waves much more, but I like using pomade for the hold and weight. Maybe it just isn't wavy enough, or is there a trick to training the hair to stay wavy there?
Use Royal Crown-it keeps the hair in place very well with non-crazy hair like yours, and it adds great shine. It's soft yet has hold close to Murray's and it's really all you need unless your hair is curly. Also add less pomade to the are of your wave; that's what I usually do.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
McFarlaneNYC said:
7d1fb1618dfe65cf_landing.jpg

For 1942 Hans's hair is pretty out there.

Right. The first thing that occured to me was that with this harido (or lack thereof) he looks like he fell out of his time. Looks more like a thing from the 60's or later.

And what's that ghostly appearance to the right of Hans?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Mario said:
Right. The first thing that occured to me was that with this harido (or lack thereof) he looks like he fell out of his time. Looks more like a thing from the 60's or later.

And what's that ghostly appearance to the right of Hans?
Also look at that shirt-the whole photo doesn't seem like he could be from then-I just have a feel.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Anyone have an opinion about Floyd's Barbershop?

Shortly, there will be a "Floyd's Barbershop" opening up around the corner from my house. Has anyone had experience with what I've seen online to be a chain of shops? Is this something I should give a try when open, or avoid like the a bad wig? :p

Randy

P.S is it one of those "Hooters for hair" places?

berwynguy

New in Town
Vintage cuts @ Joe's Barbershop in Chicago

Hey guys -

If you are in the Chicago area and looking for a barbershop that can do vintage cuts, you have to check out Joe's Barbershop 2641 W. Fullerton Ave in Chicago.

http://www.joesbarbershopchicago.com/

Joe Sr. have been cutting hair at this location for 30 yrs. His Son Joe Jr starts a new generation of classic barbers working at the shop. Along with the help of other young barbers who appreciate great cuts, this is a great man's barbershop. No frills, nothing fake or pretentious. Not a salon, but an honest to god barbershop with a cool vibe. I go here to get my 50s pomp cleaned up. They are one of the few shops where you can buy LayRite pomade locally.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
cupcake said:
Has anyone got pictures/tips for vintage hair cuts for men with receding hairlines? I want to try and talk my boyfriend into one

Most of the pictures I've seen of Conrad Veidt and Alfred Abel show them with hair combed straight back.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
cupcake said:
Has anyone got pictures/tips for vintage hair cuts for men with receding hairlines? I want to try and talk my boyfriend into one

The classic hairstyle (short back & sides) was really meant for all men, regardless of hairline. It is worn several ways with several parts, but if you had a receeding hairline, it was generally worn combed back (with maybe a side part). In this way, you are not trying to cover over the loss of hair (a tragic mistake with the 70s comb-over). The classic cut is really a cut for all ages and hair types.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
This first example is Fredrick March, who doesn't have a full head of hair but pulls off a longish classic style perfectly.

1930s-5x7-fp.jpg

Now, we have the aforementioned Conrad Veidt, who looks perfect with his combed back hair in a classic style cut.

Conrad_Veidt.jpg

And why not include one with Mr. Veidt and Vivien Leigh.

darkjourney.jpg

Classic, classic, classic. That's the way to go.

northcarolina

New in Town
Love this haircut.

Really love this style. You have perfect hair type and color for this. Looks great neat or wind blown. I would love to have this cut. I love the idea of going to a true barber. I enjoy the products that are used with this style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe