Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Boyo - what are your measurements and how did Gustin's fit guide compare to what you received?d.

I never measured the shirt while I had it, I open it up tried it on, I was too tight and I sealed it back up and Gustin took it back for a credit. It looks like they upped the p2p and width a full 2 inches from the XL. The indigo chambray is such a great fabric, so its worth a roll of the dice again on the XXL

mattface

Practically Family
Like most people, it would seem, I wound up with a pair of Loomstates smaller than I was expecting. I usually ger 33 straight, and I ordered 35 straight. Ireceived a pair for 35s which had a 34" waist, which is about how I wear a new pair of sanforized Gustins. Gustin was nice enough to exchange them for a pair of 36s which turned out to have 34 1/2" waist.

After reading a lot of other people's experiences with soaking them with stuff jammed in the waistband, or wearing them in the tub, anda few people who actually gave them hot soaks, it struck me that they were all essentially getting the same result, which was that they were able to stretch the waist back out to where it started. So I decided to throw caution to the wind, and throw them into the washing machine soak them on hot, then do a hot gentle wash with warm rinse. You know FOR SCIENCE! What follows are my results. I only wish I had 2 identical pair so I could have had a control subject.

Measurements Pre-soak: Waist 34 1/2" Thigh 12" Knee 9" Hem 8 1/2" Inseam 37 3/4"

I measured the waist after pulling them out of the washing machine, and it had reduced to 32" wet. In the interest of reducing the liklihood of pain and personal injury when putting them on for the first time I stretched the waistband over a 17" wooden hanger and hung them to dry in the shower rod, then drove to Virginia for the weekend so as not to disturb the elves I hoped would come make them fit for me.

When I returned from my weekend trip I took measurements, shoehorned myself into them, then went and watched Dracula on the couch with my sweetie.

Post Soak Measurements: Waist 34 1/2" Thigh 10 3/4" Knee 8 1/2" Hem 8 1/4" Inseam 34"

After wearing on the couch for an hour: Waist 35" Thigh 11 1/2" Knee 9" Hem 8 1/2" Inseam 35"

Overall they fit me tighter in the legs than my usual 33 straight sanforized denims, and the outseams are looking a little stressed, but I actually like the fit, and feel they will likely stretch to sweet perfection in time. I LOVE the texture of the denim, and though a lot of people are finding them incredibly stiff after soak, I suspect the washing machine wash, gentle agitation, and and rinse cycle removed more of the starch, because though they are not soft, they are not ridiculously stiff. I also think the stiffness post soak may have influenced the measurements ,as I have no other explanation for the inseam length stretching an inch in an hour of couch sitting.

Conclusion: Go ahead and shrink them however you like. You can't hurt these things, they should be able to be stretched at least to their original size, maybe a little bit more.

Oh yeah, PICS!

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Looking good.

This is a bad picture, but here is my loomie-looms and the grey ember flanell:

DSC_0845_zpsb977e761.jpg

So basically I wear 35 in Gustin, I ordered 38 in the loomstates and they came to me measureing 36.6 in the waist. I made a piece of wood and pinned it in the waist and hot suaked them in the tub in 45 degrees celsius for an hour....tumbled them almost dry and hanged-dried them to finnish and they fit really awesome! I know they dont look it in the pic but they are really good! I love the feel of the fabric.

Hey matt, mine didnt get completely smooth, not the slub of the yarn but they are almost bubly...I wonder if its because of the fast drying I did. Yours look more smooth. I was wondering if the shrinked like...micro uneven. Maybe I will try and iron it out.

The flylid was always open since they were very stretched, but I wet it and stretched it and got it to sit good :)

mattface

Practically Family
Looking good.

This is a bad picture, but here is my loomie-looms and the grey ember flanell:

DSC_0845_zpsb977e761.jpg

So basically I wear 35 in Gustin, I ordered 38 in the loomstates and they came to me measureing 36.6 in the waist. I made a piece of wood and pinned it in the waist and hot suaked them in the tub in 45 degrees celsius for an hour....tumbled them almost dry and hanged-dried them to finnish and they fit really awesome! I know they dont look it in the pic but they are really good! I love the feel of the fabric.

Hey matt, mine didnt get completely smooth, not the slub of the yarn but they are almost bubly...I wonder if its because of the fast drying I did. Yours look more smooth. I was wondering if the shrinked like...micro uneven. Maybe I will try and iron it out.

The flylid was always open since they were very stretched, but I wet it and stretched it and got it to sit good :)

Looking good Griff! I love that particular shirt fabric.

My Loomstates are FAR from smooth. On the contrary, that bubbly texture is part of what I love about them. With this cold snap, I'm back to wearing my Heavy American's but I wore my Loomstates for a day, and I could not stop stroking my own legs.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Winterland1: Yeah well its minus a million here right now so :D

Matt: Ok thats good to hear, I was afraid I somehow shrunk them badly. I also touch myself alot :D

timebomb

New in Town
Heavy Americans have about 3 months on them and got their second wash last night, and I gotta say I'm really happy with how they are fading, especially the electric blue creases. This heavy Cone denim is really nice stuff.

Did these stretch much if at all on the waist Matt? I'd ideally need a 37 but figure a 36 would be better than a 38 if they stretch.

Super Heavies just arrived: tight, but I got them on and buttoned up.
I am surprised how much the weft shows through....
Here they are with me wearing my 505s
Gustin1opt.jpg
and on my black chair...
Gustin2opt.jpg

I'm gonna have to get used to these.
;-)

timebomb

New in Town
I've got some Heavy Americans on the way from the last batch. Looking forward to seeing how my first pair of raw selvedge jeans turn out.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
wdw has. I'm holding off for the next run of tan ones - I'm wary of the sizing, so I think I'll wait and see how the early adopters' jackets work out.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
^ agreed Sloan, I'll be waiting the to see what the early adopters get in their mail boxes. If Gustin has proven anything in its first year, it's that the stuff that sells always come back around.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
^ agreed Sloan, I'll be waiting the to see what the early adopters get in their mail boxes. If Gustin has proven anything in its first year, it's that the stuff that sells always come back around.

I've not had any problems with the sizes personally, though there seems to be some who found the Okayamas a bit challenging - I'm not sure if they fiddled with the pattern for those or what, but I felt they were fine around the waist but slightly slimmer on the leg. Looking at the Tanker jacket sizes, I would be an XS, which just sounds odd and I'm really not sure if I want to risk my cash on getting it wrong.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer

They shipped my pair to my US address back in April and I still haven't seen them, I'm still here in Greece. I was hoping they'd be a collectors item by now. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe