Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super heavy slubs arrived yesterday. These feel very different from the super heavies. They're much thinner, tighter woven and stiffer. They actually feel quite like the Okayamas in thickness. The super heavies are softer and thicker feeling. The texture on these is a bit on the leopard print side and it will be interesting to see how they age.
IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

Below: 3 months heavy wear super heavies on top of new super heavy slubs
IMG_0917.JPG

mattface

Practically Family
Man I really wanted that fabric for a long time, but the Loomstate came along, and then right after that the Italian Greenline. Both fabrics I'd been really coveting. IN about a week I'll have 5 pair of Gustins. That should hold me for a while, so I decided to skip the Heavy Slub. Really cool fabric though. I bet the fades will be really beautiful. I'm enjoying the light slubbiness on my classics. Didn't show up so much when new, but as they fade, a vertical grain is really starting to show.

Anyway, I'm excited about the new waxed canvas jacket which they just posted today. $139 is a great price I think. Looking forward to seeing the sweatshirts soon! Seems like an opportune time to share my referral link again for anyone who wants to try Gustin and get $5 off. https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/232

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Looks annoyingly nice - I'm trying to swear of Gustin until the sweatshirts come along, and this doesn't help! :D

mattface

Practically Family
Looks annoyingly nice - I'm trying to swear of Gustin until the sweatshirts come along, and this doesn't help! :D

I have exactly the same problem. I need a good sweatshirt I absolutely do not need another jacket, and as much as I want to see what other fabrics they offer this in, brown waxed canvas is a really good staple material. I'd love to have it I just don't need it, and I have to keep reminding myself of that.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jacket is nice looking. I can't justify it to myself for the price (unless I were to get a lot of referral credit in the next few days, hint hint...) I just picked up a chore coat from pointer brand for around $45 shipped (photos in pointer brand/lc king thread) and though this looks very nice I need to hold back and start culling some of my less used clothing. I've got 4 pairs of Gustins and another on the way along with jeans from a variety of other manufacturers.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I also like it but dont need it. I have to think about it.

In the meantime here is some photos I wanted to share.

This is the patch on my slates bleeding out over the jeans and also coloring 2 other things in the same machine. It didnt do this on my first wash, but only on my second one.
DSC_0817_zps81859337.jpg

DSC_0818_zpsb2763365.jpg

Now the good news, here is my naturals. They look a little whiter here, irl they are more offwhite/yellow. They fit good, feel good and are a nice pair!

DSC_0814_zps9081f438.jpg

DSC_0815_zps5d6f42af.jpg

Here is my 3 pairs of Gustins. Indigo/Indigo - The Slate - The Natural

DSC_0820_zps8d82760c.jpg

DSC_0821_zps789f7897.jpg

Im picking up the Grey ember flanell tomorrow.

Invite link :D you get 5 off and I get 5 off woho :D
https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/5759

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Griff, have you soaked or washed the naturals yet??. I have a pair that I recently cold soaked, the color darkened a bit and some brown "flecks" appeared that I hadn't noticed before.. some wear and age will make these look much better.

Also regarding your leather patch bleeding, while not ideal, it does make your jeans unique.. ( it shouldn't happen though) did you launder them differently this time?

mattface

Practically Family
This is the patch on my slates bleeding out over the jeans and also coloring 2 other things in the same machine. It didnt do this on my first wash, but only on my second one.
DSC_0817_zps81859337.jpg

DSC_0818_zpsb2763365.jpg

Ew! Is that the new thicker brown patch, or the original thinner brown patch. I love the original patch, and haven't had any problems with it over several washes. I have one pair with the newer patch which I haven't washed yet, but I'm going to be very upset if it does that.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Boyo: Since the naturals isnt indigo, I gave them a wash early because I thought about hemming them....now I think I will wait since its my only non-hemmed pair and the ID is pretty cool. And yes I also got all the flecks and I think it adds alot to the characters of them feeling natural. I forgot to mention it and I have to take a close-up shot of this sometime. They didnt darken tho.

This is an old (october-september) thin patch. I did not wash them any different at all then what I usually do, so it is very disturbing. It came in contact with my favourite shirt and favourite sweater and they got ruined so beware! I will remove it from this pair and also from the indigo/indigo.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not good, especially given the trumpeting Gustin did over the patch, but thanks for the heads-up, Griff. When it comes to finally washing my jeans, I'll be doing them solo in a cold wash.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I saw yesterday that Gustin presented their beige waxed trucker jacket. When I checked their measurements (XL) and compared to those of my beige XL Filson Levi trucker jacket, I found the two to be very similar. If I didn't already have a Filson in essentially the same color, I would definitely move on the Gustin jacket.
https://www.weargustin.com/store/385

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They look great but I think I'll wait out this round of jackets, see how people get on with the sizes. By Gustin's measurements I'd be a slightly-scary XS, and I really don't want to throw in on that without getting some feedback on fit.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I found out recently that Gustin added a size XXL option for their shirts. I just backed the organic selvedge again...( I had to return the first in XL way too snug) I'm hoping for a better result this time

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Still holding out for a heavy denim shirt. It's cold. They have enough light weight shirts, even the flannels are light. They have the material just need to design and sew some work and western type shirts. Black2 and or darker Indigo material would be great. Black snaps. Was temped on the organic selvedge shirt.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Loomies have shiped and the trucker jacket is on order. This will be interesting. I only had a too small jeansjacket to measure so i was like: this...plus some more..will make it fit...plus some more more to make room for the epic sweatshirt....um...equals Large? :D

mattface

Practically Family
Heavy Americans have about 3 months on them and got their second wash last night, and I gotta say I'm really happy with how they are fading, especially the electric blue creases. This heavy Cone denim is really nice stuff.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Looking good!
There is nothing that compares to the electric blue fades of raw denim.

A heads up that my veg.tanned patch on the naturals also bled brown out over the pants. Might seem wierd that it only happened to me, so you might think its me, but it has never hapened on any other brand of jeans and I have washed my and GF´s clothes for 25 years. This was also a different detergent. Im thinking of removing all my G patches since this is so bad its not even funny.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I found out recently that Gustin added a size XXL option for their shirts. I just backed the organic selvedge again...( I had to return the first in XL way too snug) I'm hoping for a better result this time

Boyo - what are your measurements and how did Gustin's fit guide compare to what you received?

FWIW - I ordered a pair of Super Heavy 34 straights from Gustin and they fit perfectly. Their fit guide was right on but this was as small as I was comfortable going. I then ordered a pair of 35 slims in American Standard and a 34 straight in Blue-x-Black and they fit 0.75" smaller in the waist. My best fitting jeans measure 17.5" or 18" in the waist for comparison. I'm going to order a size larger going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe