Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill buys

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've done really well at local Goodwill stores with shoes lately:
1. almost new Johnston and Murphy made in Mexico beefroll loafers, $20
2. beautiful burgundy calf J&M Aristocrat Made in USA longwing tasseled slip-ons $12
3. 1970s? era JC Penney Classics, tan scotch grain longwing gunboats, nearly new condition $4

Haven't found any good clothes lately, but doing great with shoes.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Had a funny conversation with a guy who came in from our corporate office today, to observe us and train us...he commented on my Allen Edmonds, said they are nice shoes, I told him I paid $6.99 for them at Value Village. Instead of razzing me, he told me he buys his A-Es on ebay, won't spend over $30 for a pair. Before it was over, he made my boss drive him to the local Value Village, where he bought several pair of A-Es, and my boss even bought some high-end loafers. Ya never know when there is a like-minded person around...

davestlouis said:
Had a funny conversation with a guy who came in from our corporate office today, to observe us and train us...he commented on my Allen Edmonds, said they are nice shoes, I told him I paid $6.99 for them at Value Village. Instead of razzing me, he told me he buys his A-Es on ebay, won't spend over $30 for a pair. Before it was over, he made my boss drive him to the local Value Village, where he bought several pair of A-Es, and my boss even bought some high-end loafers. Ya never know when there is a like-minded person around...

Now here is a case where you need to ask for a raise---not for the whole I am poor thing but hey, you saved him money. ;) :p

davestlouis

Practically Family
jamespowers, my grandmother had a phrase to cover what would happen if I asked for a raise...

wish in one hand and spit in the other...see which one fills up first.

That's the G-Rated version, of course

Oh if I had a nickel for every time my mother has said that.

davestlouis said:
jamespowers, my grandmother had a phrase to cover what would happen if I asked for a raise...

wish in one hand and spit in the other...see which one fills up first.

That's the G-Rated version, of course

Trotsky

A-List Customer
SCORE!

So, a few weeks back I bought a beautiful pair of dark blue suit trousers; I would say 1940s. They fit, which is shocking, complete with brace buttons. Really a nice pair.

Guess what? They were orphaned and I made a reunion possible today: I found the jacket. Two button, patch pockets, and it almost fits, a fine incentive to keep losing weight. I am absolutely gobsmacked that I found this. Pics forthcoming.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
bigfoot_in_shoes.jpg

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
I scored my first pair of Aldens at Goodwill today for $12.99. They're black Norse toes in nearly new condition. While they're marked one size under what I normally wear, I'm lucky in that they fit perfectly. Do Aldens commonly run on the small side?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I wear size 13 shoes, and I have never found them used. It is quite annoying actually. I am lucky that my feet are not bigger, or else I would have to special order my shoes.

Charlie74

Familiar Face
Goodwill and other thrift shops are pretty good. You really have to take the time to hunt but when you find the treasure, the effort was worth it. I found a great thrift shop here that a coworker told me about as he and his wife shopped there for Halloween costumes. Lots of vintage items and the prices were not great bargains but they did have a nice selection of silk scarves and ascots

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Trotsky said:
So, a few weeks back I bought a beautiful pair of dark blue suit trousers; I would say 1940s. They fit, which is shocking, complete with brace buttons. Really a nice pair.

Guess what? They were orphaned and I made a reunion possible today: I found the jacket. Two button, patch pockets, and it almost fits, a fine incentive to keep losing weight. I am absolutely gobsmacked that I found this. Pics forthcoming.
Very nice.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you keep an eye on that "Stalin" guy. He may seem like your friend, but word is he's out to get you. Just sayin' ;)
I know, I know... that was a terrible history joke.

Anyway, I'm itching to get back to the thrift shop where I found my peacoat and morning coat/waistcoat. Unfortunately, it's no longer on my usual commute, so I need to go out of my way to get there. Maybe some time this week...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe