Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden era door to door solicitors

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Jehova's Witnesses. Avon calling. They'll always be around. In the past I've put up a no soliciting sign but they knock anyway.

How do you deal with them? Do you invite them in? Buy something? read pamphlets? Scowl and shoo them away?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One day when my father was a kid (c. 1940), he and his brother kept knocking on the door to their house and hiding. It began to irritate their mother. Then a salesman knocked on the door and she inadvertently clobbered him.

I just say no and shut the door. I used to have a no soliciting sign, and I'd say, "The sign says 'no soliciting'." "What sign?" "The sign next to the doorbell." :rolleyes:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
One day when my father was a kid (c. 1940), he and his brother kept knocking on the door to their house and hiding. It began to irritate their mother. Then a salesman knocked on the door and she inadvertently clobbered him.

I just say no and shut the door. I used to have a no soliciting sign, and I'd say, "The sign says 'no soliciting'." "What sign?" "The sign next to the doorbell." :rolleyes:

hee hee "Beware of Clobbering Housewife"

pretty faythe

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
Jehova's Witnesses. Avon calling. They'll always be around. In the past I've put up a no soliciting sign but they knock anyway.

How do you deal with them? Do you invite them in? Buy something? read pamphlets? Scowl and shoo them away?

Oh my goodness, talk to them once and they keep coming back!! My ten year old talked to the Jehova's for a few moments one day and now they are stalking her! They leave notes on the door along with the Watchtower mags.
Can't say anything about the Avon peeps, my mom is one, and she doesnt do the door to door biz like you see in the old flicks or Edward Scissor Hands...hmmm, maybe I should recommend that to her. lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
I hate answering for anyone I don't know. However, if it is a kid 16 or under I generally will. If I have cash (which I rarely do) I will try and help them out by purchasing something. I remember being a brownie as well as going to Catholic school. When election time I was very curious and listened to a few words. However I have been suckered in the past by salespeople (my alarm system) and I will never ever fall for that mistake again. Religion by means of curbside persuasion really turns me off.

I once shoed my neighbor away inadvertantly. I felt terrible after I did it once I figured it out. I try and get a good look now.

Foofoogal

Banned
Ok, now you are going to make me try and think of the name of the company that went around in West Texas when I was a kid and sold shoes and even clothing. I was enthralled. Not the Fuller Brush guy I don't think but maybe?
------------------------
In case there are any JW's on the FL I don't want to offend but lets just say they kept coming back to my home till finally one day we sat on my porch and had a Bible drill. :p
The older one grabbed the younger lady and practically ran down the street as I had an answer for everyone of the girls ?s.
Convert me and I will try to convert you back.
-----------------
I think soliciting is illegal where I live now. Now Avon I always get an Avon lady and then never see them again. I ordered a 4th. of July umbrella and never got it. It rained like hades on the 4th. where I was also about 2 minutes after the fireworks show. figures. lol You can order online now.

Or try a "welcome" sign at the perimeter that says something like "Danger: Minefield"... lol

Of course, it also works to develop what DI's call a "Command Voice" and abruptly order the solicitor to "Move Along..." ("Command Voice" doesn't mean high volume, just lots of projection and power behind it.)

Good fences make good neighbors.

----------------
Now playing: Bill Brown - USA 08
via FoxyTunes

High Pockets

Practically Family
I remember the sign my grandparents had above the door in San Antonio back in the fifties:
NO PEDDLERS ALLOWED

Several years ago when we lived in town I used to love to see those guys on bikes come up the drive,...all I had to do was tell them I was a devout Roman Catholic and they'd leave.

I'm trying to remember the name of that shoe company,.....

Viola

Call Me a Cab
We get mostly the Sierra Club and groups like that.

I see more religious evangelizers on public transit than I do door-to-door, and the door-to-door ones are generally more polite.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
If you are really that upset about Jehovah's Witnesses calling then just politely ask them not to call on you anymore, it's that simple. No need to resort to sarcastic comments, slamming doors or other childish behaviour.

They are doing this on their own time and on their own dime. They don't get paid, or receive any type of material gain from talking to you, so please try to show some respect.

As for businesses calling around, you can show some respect to them too by just politely letting them know your not interested. They're only doing they're job, and I know I get down when dealing with discourteous customers at work, so imagine what it's like for these guys. Answering the door only takes five seconds of your time.

I notice a lot of people on here complaining about how rude people are nowadays, how nobody has any morals anymore blah, blah, blah. Make a start in your own home by being a gentleman/lady to whoever knocks on your door and greet them with a smile :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Pera.T said:
If you are really that upset about Jehovah's Witnesses calling then just politely ask them not to call on you anymore, it's that simple. No need to resort to sarcastic comments, slamming doors or other childish behaviour.

They are doing this on their own time and on their own dime. They don't get paid, or receive any type of material gain from talking to you, so please try to show some respect.

As for businesses calling around, you can show some respect to them too by just politely letting them know your not interested. They're only doing they're job, and I know I get down when dealing with discourteous customers at work, so imagine what it's like for these guys. Answering the door only takes five seconds of your time.

I notice a lot of people on here complaining about how rude people are nowadays, how nobody has any morals anymore blah, blah, blah. Make a start in your own home by being a gentleman/lady to whoever knocks on your door and greet them with a smile :)

When I am in the middle of something, "five seconds of my time" can be a big inconvenience.

I think it's mighty rude for people to solicit despite a "no soliciting" sign.

I do not know of a centralized "opt out" for Jehova's Witnesses.

They are doing this on their time and dime at my home.

Also, who made sarcastic or childish remarks?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Pera.T said:
If you are really that upset about Jehovah's Witnesses calling then just politely ask them not to call on you anymore, ......

They are doing this on their own time and on their own dime. They don't get paid, or receive any type of material gain from talking to you...

They believe they are accruing God-miles. :)

Don't they?

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld