Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin vs horsehide

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKL

A-List Customer
What would be the advantages of one or the other - horsehide or goatskin? Do they age in looks about the same? I am not necessarily looking at a leather that will quickly turn into the vintage look.

Thanks.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Goatskin is nearly indestructible, very supple with a soft drape, and usually has an even pebbled grain that looks the same everywhere. It's an outstanding leather, but depending on how it was tanned/dyed, it will not wrinkle or age much with use.

Horsehide is typically heavier than goatskin, springier and less supple with a hard drape. It has varying grain, and can appear very smooth or heavily creased - sometimes on different parts of the same piece. It molds to your body with wear, and develops major wrinkles and creases. It is more likely to show wear over time, either wearing off its topcoat to reveal the color beneath, or developing a patina. While it is very tough, it is not as tear-resistant as goatskin.

Horse is the preferred choice for a jacket if you want it to develop a vintage look - goat can take much harder use to show any significant wear. Both are outstanding choices for a jacket!

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
That surprises me that goat is more tear resistant than horse. I would have thought just the opposite. The horse A2 I have feels almost bullet proof, but I guess it is because the goat is more flexible.

Very informative, I learn something new everyday reading this site.:)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Goat is thin(in comparison), supple and very tough, tear and abrasion resistant.
Horsehide has the hype of "The Classic Vintage American Leather Jacket", deservedly so, as it is classic American- and ages very nicely, kinda like vintage Levis...

Maybe more goat A-2 jackets survived the war than horse and maybe goat were in the minority(excepting USN jackets)...

B
T

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Ditto to all Doc says about the characters of each leather.
To me, the most noteworthy aspect of goat is how light it feels compared to horse. I have an A-2 made of each, and I routinely reach for the goat when the weather is more temperate. Cold days? I grab the horse.
The grain is more pronounced with the goat; with its pebbly surface, it lends the jacket character. Horse, as we all know, takes time for the grain to surface.
I am hard-pressed to say which I like better, though.

SamReu said:
Ditto to all Doc says about the characters of each leather.
To me, the most noteworthy aspect of goat is how light it feels compared to horse. I have an A-2 made of each, and I routinely reach for the goat when the weather is more temperate. Cold days? I grab the horse.
The grain is more pronounced with the goat; with its pebbly surface, it lends the jacket character. ****Horse, as we all know, takes time for the grain to surface.*****
I am hard-pressed to say which I like better, though.

Not on a jerky Aero RealDeal,tho! Gimme Horse!!!:)
HD

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Man all this talk about the Aero sale is gettin my blood pumpin. I'm seriously sittin on the fence about getting a 1940 contract Aero. Gonna have to do it sooner or later or i'm gonna pop.

The goatskin and HH deal is a pretty fair question. They both have their own ups an downs for me. I love the supple texture and the way the goat wears, but I can't dig the pebbly grain. HH is the best as far as grain and texture go, but its a little stiff. Just two totaly different types of leather, each has it's own place.

MKL

A-List Customer
Which leather will hold its look the longest? I realize it would depend on how each were treated, but from aside that bit of info which would hold its look?

Thanks.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
MKL said:
Which leather will hold its look the longest? I realize it would depend on how each were treated, but from aside that bit of info which would hold its look?

Thanks.

I have three original A2s all goatskin. After over 60 years they look great and can be worn. I have seen and have had original horsehide that is equally in great condition. So I guess both can hold their look. Here is a shot of one of my 60 plus year old original goatskin A2s

front_view_flat-1.jpg

SPAD

New in Town
I have 3 goat A-2's and one is pretty heavy, a Cooper. My others are a little lighter, US Authentic and Pro-tech. The Pro-Tech A-2 is almost 20 years old and still looks great, has developed a nice patina. The USAuth is really supple and very comfortable. I have had a coupla HH, but they don't seem to be as comfortable. I always thought the goat would age more like in the movies, but it has taken on a nice character all it's own. A plus for the goat is if you want to put some artwork on it goatskin seems to have more permiability paint wise. So I guess it depends on what you want. SPAD:)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Maybe Paddy can answer this upon his return...

But I was checking the various jacket sites yesterday and I don't see any mention of Aero working in goat. Eastman does and so does Flight Suits. I am getting closer and closer to purchasing a "Historic A-2" from flight suits in seal brown.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
here it is.

Zemke Fan said:
But I was checking the various jacket sites yesterday and I don't see any mention of Aero working in goat. Eastman does and so does Flight Suits. I am getting closer and closer to purchasing a "Historic A-2" from flight suits in seal brown.

Here is an Aero Russet Goat A-2 being offered out the Aero ebay store. It looks pretty good. See my post on Aero's customer service and send Mark an e-mail if you have any questions. He's fantastic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aero-Leather-RU...ryZ57988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

fedoralover

fedoralover said:
Here is an Aero Russet Goat A-2 being offered out the Aero ebay store. It looks pretty good. See my post on Aero's customer service and send Mark an e-mail if you have any questions. He's fantastic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aero-Leather-RU...ryZ57988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

fedoralover

That's only pebbly russet goat in the first square sample pic on Mark's site. The rest of the Bronco pics are russet jerky horse. "That's what I'm talkin about!!! Sweeet";)
HD

ldmax

Familiar Face
wear of goat

Goatskin can develop a beautiful warm patina as it ages. Acme Depot has some pictures of a Flightsuits historical russet goatskin A2 that is several years old. http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/eval_FSHA2.shtml Look way down at the bottom of the page. I am hoping that my US Authentic goat does that. It is one year old and has changed a little bit in texture. I have heard that both Eastman and Aero make excellent goatskin jackets as well.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Of course, it really depends on what process was used when it was finished, but from what I've seen, goatskin doesn't change much. My oldest A-2 is a FlightSuits "Civil" model in chrome-tanned black goatskin that I got in 2001. After a lot of wearing and plenty of rain/snow, it is only showing the *slightest* fading in high-wear spots like the edge of the windflap, elbow seams, and epaulet edges.

MKL

A-List Customer
Thanks for the help and info.

I went with the horsehide. Let you know when it arrives.

Thanks again.

MKL

A-List Customer
I went with US Authentic. The price was more to my taste.

I am looking forward in seeing some pics of yours when it comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld