Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin Sizing Questions

Bender

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a NOS Real McCoy's New Zealand G1 in their beautiful veg-tanned goatskin.

The tagged size is 46, but this particular jacket was cut closer to a 44. I am usually a 42/40, but can get away with a larger size in a G1. While the shoulders and chest sizing is perfect, the waist/stomach is still a bit wide and perhaps a hair too long, and the sleeves a bit too long as well. It's not terrible, and it looks great zipped up, but when it's open I'm encroaching on that unflattering A2 look (no offense to guys who like the A2 cut).

So here's the crux of my question: if this particular jacket were in horsehide, I wouldn't be too worried, because I would expect, over time, for the horsehide to kind of almost shrink/mold to my body, shorten up a hair at the waist from creasing, and for the arms to crease and shorten up as well... eliminating the two issues bugging me. But can I expect the same from goatskin?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocette59