Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen's Clubs

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Dinner at the Montauk Club

Daniele and I and two of her friends had a lovely dinner at the Montauk Club last Friday evening. We had roast beef, red snapper, I think lamb and another roast beef, Quite satisfactory. And they pour you a ROBUST glass of good wine at a reasonable price. That evening in one room they had their monthly book club.
Later I inquired what that gaggle of extremely lovely young ladies across the room was all about. I was informed it was the monthly ladies clothes swapping get together. There was much delighted giggling and oohing and ahhing coming from that side of the room. The participants all seemed to range in size from 6 to 4 to 2 to 0, and I swear I saw at least one minus 1 3/4. Whatever, They all seemed very happy.
Our little group had a corner to ourselves. We ate and chatted and enjoyed ourselves. We were greeted on a couple of occasions by obviously long standing members in a manner which can only describe as friendly, welcoming and inclusive.
So here are couple of pix! As long promised! I didn't want to get toooo embarrassing and climb all over the joint to get super brilliant artsy shots, but some of these are OK.
The dining room:
DiningRoomflash.jpg

You can sort of see the picturesque Venetian windows. The building is Venetian Gothic but is also covered with Indian portraits. (In honor of the Montauk Indians, who were very conspicuous in their absence . . .)
Here's a shot of an intimate nook for two, illustrating the magnificent fenestration:
Nook.jpg

Some old guy. I guess a former pres. Nice tux:
Someoldguy.jpg

Cool shot of Venetian arches and columns, with another old guy lurking in the background:
ColumnsandArches.jpg

Lest you question whether a good time was had by all, may I present a happy foursome, admittedly well into middle age, so there idea of fun is a great deal tamer than some folks. But they do look well fed and mellow:
Foursome.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Today's definition of "gentlemen" is much more inclusive than it was throughout most of history, and that's a step in the right direction. There's no reason that gentlemen of a wide range of ethnicity, income, religions and political persuasions should not be able to mix in a cordial atmosphere.

Some years ago, I belonged to a lodge in Spokane, WA called "The Brotherhood of Friends". The lodge was on the top floor of a building on 3rd Ave and had a ballroom floor, bar and kitchen. As far as I could tell, they accepted anyone who wanted to join and dues were only a few bucks a quarter. Their activities were mainly a Friday night dinner for those who attended. I worked at KXXR radio which was on the ground floor of the same building.

That kind of concept could easily become an inclusive club for those who wanted a place to have a snort and a cordial discussion of an evening.

I just did a search for Brotherhood of Friends, and found this! http://www.moonlightballroom.org/ . The website appears to be brand new as some pages are under construction...but it looks very interesting for our Eastern WA members. :eusa_clap Looks like they have converted to a ballroom/dance operation, but there's not much info on their website yet. It also says: "The Moonlight Ballroom and Supper Club is operated by the membership of the Brotherhood of Friends Lodge, Inc."

I

Ian Dundrillon

Assorted notes on the gentlemen's clubs of London Part 1

THE PERFECT CLUBMAN

In most West End clubs, especially those of an old-fashioned sort, there is to be found some member who is generally recognised as an institution of the place. The confirmed frequenter of clubs knows everything that is going on, and imparts such information as he feels inclined to give with none of the mystery and importance of semi-ignorance, but simply and naturally. He is well acquainted with the latest good stories about town. In fact, his conversation is generally amusing, and occasionally instructive.

The life of such a man is centered in his club, and he sees members and lives come and go with an imperturbable equanimity; indeed, it would take an earthquate to make him effect any change in his habits.

So he lunches and dines, till the sands of the hourglass have run out , and the moment comes for him to enter the great club of which all humanity must perforce become members.

Ralph Nevill, London Clubs, (1911)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ian Dundrillon said:
THE PERFECT CLUBMAN

In most West End clubs, especially those of an old-fashioned sort, there is to be found some member who is generally recognised as an institution of the place. The confirmed frequenter of clubs knows everything that is going on, and imparts such information as he feels inclined to give with none of the mystery and importance of semi-ignorance, but simply and naturally. He is well acquainted with the latest good stories about town. In fact, his conversation is generally amusing, and occasionally instructive.

The life of such a man is centered in his club, and he sees members and lives come and go with an imperturbable equanimity; indeed, it would take an earthquate to make him effect any change in his habits.

So he lunches and dines, till the sands of the hourglass have run out , and the moment comes for him to enter the great club of which all humanity must perforce become members.

Ralph Nevill, London Clubs, (1911)

Brilliantly written. Note to self: must use "perforce" more frequently.

I

Ian Dundrillon

Assorted notes on the gentlemen's clubs of London Part 2

All of the London clubs have the same general purpose, that of providing a meeting place for like-minded men, so each has its own special flavour. There is the well-known saying, "you can judge a man by his friends", so too with clubs. You can, to a very considerable extent, judge a man's tastes, possibly even his character, by the club to which he belongs.

The London clubs were, and are, an epitome of the high civilisation which produced them; a civilisation now under siege and in decline. Gentlemen's clubs in the West End have fallen on hard times and as a consequence some have gone to the wall, while others have opened their doors to ladies. In this respect, I am unashamedly a male chauvinist pig. Gentlemen's clubs are meant for men; by all means let ladies have their own clubs, but I view with dismay the steady progress of the female sex into what once was, and should remain, a male preserve.

They are unique, providing a background for civilised conduct and a civilised world, in that men of distinction, ability and culture can can meet to talk and to listen, to eat and to drink, and to partake and to share in the felowship of their peers.

His Grace The Duke of Devonshire

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ian Dundrillon said:
All of the London clubs have the same general purpose, that of providing a meeting place for like-minded men, so each has its own special flavour. There is the well-known saying, "you can judge a man by his friends", so too with clubs. You can, to a very considerable extent, judge a man's tastes, possibly even his character, by the club to which he belongs.

The London clubs were, and are, an epitome of the high civilisation which produced them; a civilisation now under siege and in decline. Gentlemen's clubs in the West End have fallen on hard times and as a consequence some have gone to the wall, while others have opened their doors to ladies. In this respect, I am unashamedly a male chauvinist pig. Gentlemen's clubs are meant for men; by all means let ladies have their own clubs, but I view with dismay the steady progress of the female sex into what once was, and should remain, a male preserve.

They are unique, providing a background for civilised conduct and a civilised world, in that men of distinction, ability and culture can can meet to talk and to listen, to eat and to drink, and to partake and to share in the felowship of their peers.

His Grace The Duke of Devonshire

Lovely to hear of civilization without scare quotes or irony, and I agree about a decline.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't know which Duke of Devonshire this was, but there have been a couple of COOL Dukes of Devonshire. The family seat, Chatsworth, is one of England's very greatest houses.

gordon

New in Town
Montauk Club Brooklyn NYC

I'm a member of a club. It's a fine place. Accepting of all genders, races, sexual orientations. It's like those clubs in London ....only Democratic.

Website.

Pictures

ANYONE who wants to join and have a scotch on my tab, let me know.

Gordon

I

Ian Dundrillon

Decline

Lucky us, we are privileged to have front row seats for the decline and fall of Western Civilization and what better place to be ensconced than in a proper gentlemen's club with all the attendant accoutrements.

"Do not try to resolve chaos, chaos will always prevail."
Ian Dundrillon, 1987

"The air of this New World Order seems favourable to the art of destruction."
Ian Dundrillon, 1987

Sorry Doran, I just had to do it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
gordon said:
I'm a member of a club. It's a fine place. Accepting of all genders, races, sexual orientations. It's like those clubs in London ....only Democratic.

Website.

Pictures

ANYONE who wants to join and have a scotch on my tab, let me know.

Gordon
Gordon: I recently joined the Montauk Club. We'll have to meet up! I've been trying to get some of the Loungers to stop by. Scroll up to see yours truly and GF there recently.

I

Ian Dundrillon

Which Duke of Devonshire?

Dear dhermann1,

The man in question is Richard Hugh Cavendish, Baron Cavendish of Furness (born November 2, 1941), a British Conservative polititian and landowner. He owns Holker Hall and its surrounding estates. The property was inheirited via his grandfather, Lord Richard Frederick Cavendish. Presumably, his love of clubs was also inheirited. His maternal grandfather, Lord Salisbury, was a member of the Carlton while his paternal grandfather (The one with the big bucks) patronised Brooks's. Hugh apparently takes his clubbing very seriously: "I can claim, like my father and my grandfathers before me, to be a genuine 'clubman'; Indeed I belong to as many London clubs as I can afford and which are willing to have me as a member."

Best regards,
Ian

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Faskinatin'. A very illustrious lineage. I Googled Duke of Devonshire and found that the last one had died in 2004, and that he was a supporter of fox hunting. Surprise, surprise. One of the interesting benefits of being a member of the Montauk Club is that your member ship is recognized at the St James Club in London.
Gordon! Get in touch with me via Myspace, OK? Thanx.

gordon

New in Town
Montauk Club

dhermann1 - I'm a noob and therefore posted a reply to only the first page of the thread not realizing there were multiple pages of replies (heck I didn't even realize the initial posts were from years ago). I've gone back and read your posts. I think we might have even met - might have been on "new member night" - I think introduced by Miles? Regardless, I'll say "Hi" next time I see you there. I too like to take the GF - we're usually nestled at a small table with a set of Domino's and a big glass of Bourbon. Damn, I love Antonio's heavy pour!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I think so! Hey, get a few club members and come see my show, Caine Mutiny, at Heights Players. We have PLENTY of seats available, and it's a good production. 2 more weekends.
Yes, they are NOT stingy with the booze, bless 'em.

I

Ian Dundrillon

About Club Reciprocity

Dear dhermann1,

I just read about the Montauk Club; sounds very nice.
Question for you: In 1978 th St. James Club merged with Brooks's and gave up their old location. So does Brooks's recognize Montauk membership, or is it with the St. James Club and Hotel, the 5 star hotel? Either way you win.
Do they in turn, have a reciprocal agreement with the Montauk?

Ian

I

Ian Dundrillon

Troublesome spouse

Dear dhermann1 and gordon,
When I told my wife, who was born and raised in Brooklyn, about the Montauk Club, she said, "That's impossible. There are no gentlemen in Brooklyn." See what I have to put up with? No wonder why I need a good club (of one kind or another). I know, I know, I'll give her your "best regards".
Ian

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Brooklyn

There is SO much more to Brooklyn than the old "dese dem and dose" image. In its 19th century heyday it was a haven for literary types, such as Walt Whitman. This continued into the present day with such authors as Truman Capote, Thomas Wolf, W H Auden and Norman Mailer. And remember, those sweet genteel ladies of "Arsenic and Old Lace" lived in Brooklyn.
The renaissance that Brooklyn is experiencing today is because of its wonderfully civilized physical setup. There are thousands of charming brownstone and row houses, arranged in neighborhoods where you can actually walk around and greet your neighbors. Brooklyn is just beautiful, elegant, classy, charming, CIVILIZED. I know you were just kidding, but man, Brooklyn is just another name for heaven, as far as I'm concerned.
The Montauk Club, as I mentioned before, is part of this renaissance. It nearly went belly up like so many other clubs, but it's successfully reinventing itself for the 21st century.
What you may ask, am I doing moving to the Bronx, then??? Well, that's another story. But my connections with Brooklyn will certainly not be severed, and I expect I'll maintain my membership in the club.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I don't know which Duke of Devonshire this was, but there have been a couple of COOL Dukes of Devonshire. The family seat, Chatsworth, is one of England's very greatest houses.

Interesting fact: Chatsworth is what Jane Austen based mr Darcy's Pemberley on in Pride and Prejudice. Thus the Duke of Devonshire could have been like Darcy... any ladies who saw the BBC adaptation may appreciate this!

Speaking of elitist institutions, the grand lodge of england is across the road from my college, and I always want to go in, just because I know I'm not allowed. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe