Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen's Clubs

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gluegungeisha said:
Haha, I was always really amused by the "new" definition of a gentleman's club.

"May I take your coat, sir?"

:rolleyes:

I have absolutely no idea what she is getting at. Can anyone explain this?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Harold Nicolson

If you want to get a real taste of what these clubs were all about, read the three volumes of Sir Harold Nicolson's Diaries. He was a true English aristocrat, member of Parliament, Baillol College, Oxford graduate, etc., etc., etc. He came up in the Edwardian age (his wife, Vita Sackville-West wrote a book called "The Edwardians"), owned a castle in Kent (Sissinghurst Castle, one of England's greatest tourist attractions now), and generally lived the life. He was always having dinner at the Travelers Club, or the Carleton, and in fact often stayed at his club while in town. The diaries were written for himself. They give an unbiased, unvarnished look at the times and that very special class of people, of which there ain't no more left around, to speak of, as well as a wonderful view of "The Golden Age" in general.

Mr Hicks

New in Town
Gentlemans Club Redefined

Here in my hometown is a lovely little cigar bar that has all the trappings of the old Gentlemans clubs. Leather wingback chairs, chess, cigars, port, hunter green walls and a little light jazz on the radio. Still, no dress code. Flip-flops and tank tops abound. I am sure that there are not enough clothing conscious consumers that patronise the bar to keep it afloat if a dress code were enforced.
I look at pictures of my great grandfather, in his tweed suit and cravat, he never left home looking a shambles, despite his low social status. Men used to dress up to meet and discuss the very things we talk about on this forum, regardless of their income. I am sure there are many of us who hunt the thrift stores to find find that vintage treasure, because we too realise that - Being poor is not a crime, but dressing poorly is.
There is a need for a return of the gentlemans club, the cigar/martini bars that pop up are a good step towards, but in order to make dress codes, we have to visit often and en masse.

mikepara

Practically Family
Clubs are fine.

Well, I'm a mostly lapsed member of quite a few Gentlemen's clubs, including Regimental ones. On the whole I do not attend them. Most being too far away. All have fees or subs to be paid but you cannot buy your way into them regardless of wealth, name or invitation.

Some do not even have an actual venue. However regarding the one's that do It's a retreat where like minded people or persons who have experienced the same thing can escape the rat race or the chavs for a meal or an evening.

There are perfectly nice clubs which are basically just Associations with a bar and rooms.
There are pretentious clubs I'm glad I'm not a member of.
The best clubs are the one's you strived to get into then tell no one about!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A couple of family members back home are members of The Northern Club so I have had the pleasure several times of spending an evening or having lunch there.

http://www.northernclub.co.nz/Home.php

And when my fianc?©e and I stopped off in Melbourne this year we had the pleasure of staying as guests at The Australian Club where my best man is a member. Beautiful club with 5 star service and food, and superb facilities and history.

http://www.theaustralianclub.com.au/home.php

Undertow

Besides the exclusive, rich person's clubs in Des Moines (and there are a few, some quite old) there are two decent clubs of which come to mind.

There is one in a suburb called Tini's which ATTEMPTS to cater to a high-brow, jazz friendly group, although, as has been mentioned in previous posts, there will always be your sweatpants and flip flop wearing goons.

There is one other tucked away underneath some stairs in an older part of West Des Moines called Lloyd's Wine, Spirits and Tobacco shop. Deep leather couches, leather wingback chairs, mahagony and cigar ashtrays. He is the sole owner and director; he sells wine and beer as well as some high shelf liqours. And of course, you can pick up a cigar and enjoy.

Both are really nice places, although the second tends to be an exceptional jewel in town. (And no one even knows about it save a few of us culturally prone individuals!)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
mikepara said:
The best clubs are the one's you strived to get into then tell no one about!

Hmm, I'd think any club I liked a lot, would be one I'd want my like-minded friends in, hence I would tell a lot of folks.

I used to be a member of the College Club in Seattle. I was sponsored in by my father. However, I didn't really use it much - played a bit of squash there, and did attend a valentine's dinner. When things became tight for a while in the dot.bomb, I had to cancel my membership.

I assume there are quite a few clubs in Seattle - I know of a couple more at least, in the pricier range.

I do have a friend in London, who's a member of a "private club" - no real membership requirements other than a waiting list, and it's basically a trendy bar. Still, the bartenders were darned good, which is why he joined - he was looking for places that did good cocktails.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Doran said:
I have absolutely no idea what she is getting at. Can anyone explain this?

I took it as a guy in a big oversized coat in a strip joint being asked to check said coat because he is, after all, in a 'gentleman's club.' One imagines that the pervy sort who might go to such a place (or a sordid movie house) might well wear a big oversized coat to hide behind.
Full ironic scenario constructed in six words - rather brilliant.

Dr Doran

scotrace said:
I took it as a guy in a big oversized coat in a strip joint being asked to check said coat because he is, after all, in a 'gentleman's club.' One imagines that the pervy sort who might go to such a place (or a sordid movie house) might well wear a big oversized coat to hide behind.
Full ironic scenario constructed in six words - rather brilliant.

Too brilliant for my poor brilliantined little head. Actually it isn't brilliantined -- I just shaved it recently. But I had to say that because it fit.

Does anyone know of private clubs near where I live? I'm curious to check one out.

Undertow

Doran said:
Too brilliant for my poor brilliantined little head. Actually it isn't brilliantined -- I just shaved it recently. But I had to say that because it fit.

Does anyone know of private clubs near where I live? I'm curious to check one out.

Sure buddy, just drop down to the corner of West 54th and Penn Ave. There's an old warehouse on the corner with a truck parked out front. Go to the back and walk down flight of stone steps until you get to this big iron door. Knock three times, wait a second and then knock twice. When they open the hole, just tell 'em Rocoe sent ya.

:p

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Too true...

Roger said:
I thought the whole purpose of a private club is "exclusivity" if everyone can get in why bother?

..."I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." Groucho Marx

I guess that's why I don't belong to any clubs. I reckon I'm either too good or not good enough.

Dr Doran

Undertow said:
There is one in a suburb called Tini's which ATTEMPTS to cater to a high-brow, jazz friendly group, although, as has been mentioned in previous posts, there will always be your sweatpants and flip flop wearing goons.

Ruinous.

Undertow said:
Sure buddy, just drop down to the corner of West 54th and Penn Ave. There's an old warehouse on the corner with a truck parked out front. Go to the back and walk down flight of stone steps until you get to this big iron door. Knock three times, wait a second and then knock twice. When they open the hole, just tell 'em Rocoe sent ya.

:p

That ain't in Oaktown.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Doran said:

There are some famous gentlemen's clubs (and some ladies clubs too) in San Francisco. They are rather exclusive though. The most famous SF one, The Bohemian Club has presidents (including the Bushes and Clinton), heads of major companies and many famous male TV/Movie types as members. It might be difficult for you to join, but you might make it into the lobby or become an employee. I've heard it is a really nice piece of real estate.

Here is a link to a list of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_gentlemen's_clubs

The Bohemian Club (1872), which hosts the Bohemian Grove retreat
The Olympic Club (1860)
The Pacific-Union Club (1852)

However, I don't think that Gentlemen's clubs are disappearing that fast, there are still more than 50 in London, and although some of the clubs now accept a few women and minorities, the tone of the organizations hasn't really gone down. My ex-roommate's dad was a Jonathan Club member, and even though they now accept rich women and minorities it is just as snooty and expensive as ever.

The thing is though, that even though most people couldn't join these exclusive clubs, that most people would probably not enjoy being a member either (though they do have nice clubhouses). Most folks are just not socially ambitious enough to enjoy the rarefied tone of most social clubs, and although I've heard that the Bohemian Grove is a pretty good party, I've seen video of the goings on and personally I'd rather pass. I would rather hang out at home with friends, without the Secret Service sniffing about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld