Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Okay I'm so bumping this thread because....

I really wanted to show off my frog!!! If you go back to page 1 you will see I have a koi pond in my garden. Well, back in June I put 3 little tadpoles in the pond and then never saw them again:( I just figured my big fat koi swallowed them whole! Guess what I found last night in the pond! He's just a little bigger then a quarter. I'm so proud:D
1252453823_486be40c73.jpg

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Yeah ... I'd quit worrying about the frog and start worrying about the koi. That's boy's gonna get hungry and I think seafood is on the menu. :D

Richard

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
LocktownDog said:
Yeah ... I'd quit worrying about the frog and start worrying about the koi. That's boy's gonna get hungry and I think seafood is on the menu. :D

Richard

hahaha that would be a sight to see! My little 4" frog eating my big fat 18" koi! lol

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
hahaha that would be a sight to see! My little 4" frog eating my big fat 18" koi! lol

I've seen full grown frogs catch birds in mid-air and eat them, so I'd be careful if I were you! They've got big mouths that'll eat anything they can fit in them.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Hopefully this year the amphibian chap will have his mouth full of slugs though, the way the weather has been!

Our garden is just too weird at the moment, our fruit is just coming and coming and coming - rhubarb, in September? (nearly)! and the raspberries are still flowering, so we'll still be getting fruit if the weather holds till October. Strawberries would be doing much better if the slugs weren't getting at 'em...

We have a toad somewhere in the garden, who does a very capable job dealing with the slimy things. Had a mouse problem (nibbling the bulbs) but a certain 14lb ginger cat is dealing with that for us.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I wish I had a frog to eat my slugs, seriously, the disgusting things are so big and so plentiful this year. I saw one about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide (may be a slight exaggeration, but not much I swear!) I am not sure if my slug pellets are actually attracting them. Bah.

Anyway I just started planting my new(ish) back garden. I have loads of wild strawberries, a rhododendron, a lavender, loads of herbs including mint, lemon balm, garlic chives, sage, chamomile, oregano and fennel. I have a huge rose, loads of violets, ajuga, seveal lilies, and a big yukka plant that I think my cats are damaging by sharpening their claws on it constantly :(. I might try putting some sisal rope around it to save it.

I recently planted some catoniasters and something else I forgot the name of - lily looking leaves with bright orange flower, plus some ground covering geraniums. I'm going to put in some pansies for winter colour too this weekend.

My front area has a hibiscus tree, a tub containing buddleia, rosemary, petunias, miniature roses, cat nip and a different lavender. I'll take some pictures this weekend! I'm just getting into gardening, but it is really awesome seeing stuff you planted yoursef growing. :)

Kishtu

Practically Family
Oh Fleur I love lemon balm! It makes a delicious cordial (same recipe as elderflower cordial but use lemon balm instead of elderflower heads...)

If you haven't got any already, get lemon verbena. Get a ton of lemon verbena. The scent is simply to die for. It tends to keel over and die though at the first whiff of frost though, which is why ours is in a pot which can be hoiked inside when it turns chilly...

but oh! the scent!!!!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by MaryDeluxe
Dagwood...perennials are the way to go! They come back evey year and usually grow larger!
Here's a few pictures from my little garden. It just goes to show, you don't need much room to have a garden.

Mary, That is a fabulous yard! Can you design mine? I need HELP! :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu said:
Oh Fleur I love lemon balm! It makes a delicious cordial (same recipe as elderflower cordial but use lemon balm instead of elderflower heads...)

If you haven't got any already, get lemon verbena. Get a ton of lemon verbena. The scent is simply to die for. It tends to keel over and die though at the first whiff of frost though, which is why ours is in a pot which can be hoiked inside when it turns chilly...

but oh! the scent!!!!

Darn, if only I'd seen this, as I just came back from Homebase with a bunch of violas and pansies for autumn colour. Not that they'd probably have had it. I got a big grass too, and two other plants that were reduced. My mum came over with a ton of montbrecias, azaleas, heather, rose and lavender cuttings and some big geraniums. Yaaaay! My garden is going to look so fab by next summer.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Slugs, etc.

Since my bedroom is in back, and the door leads directly to the garden, and since NY has had 22 inches of rain since May, critters have been proliferating like crazy back there. I leave my back door open with the iron gate locked, for ventilation, and for a couple of weeks every night (and sometimes mornings, too) I'd come home to find a nice big tiger striped slug exploring my bedroom. That subsided, only have cicada season start. My old mama cat is a great hunter, so she brings a cicada or two into the apt every evening and announces it very loudly to the world. I flung 4 cicadas, 3 dead, one alive, over the back fence last night. Delightful.
I have a little lemon balm plant growing out of a corner in my garden. They're just wonderful plants, but if they find a spot with nice loose soil, plenty of water and drainage and sunlight, they'll take over the world. They cast seeds in every direction. You'll find yourself 3 or 4 times a summer having to do a complete yard wide massacre of lemon balm seedlings.
The storms we had over the last several weeks also knocked down a lot of branches from the London Plane and locust trees in my yard. Debris everywhere!
But how nice it is to have my own little patch of nature smack in the heart of the city!
And speaking of mums, it's that time of year again!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have no idea how many inches of rain have fallen since May here, but it must be high, with the horrendous flooding here in the UK. It's a slug-fest as a result!
Maybe that's why Surrey has a fringe on top! :rolleyes:

Dagwood

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have no idea how many inches of rain have fallen since May here, but it must be high, with the horrendous flooding here in the UK. It's a slug-fest as a result!

ACCKK - It is 109 degrees here in Los Angeles. All my flowers are pretty much giving up. :( Not a slug in sight.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
I just filmed this today. One of the main reasons for my dad chosing the house we live in is because of the backyard. This is his garden.

"The Flower Garden"

I'm green with envy! Roses, the one plant I've had no luck at growing!:mad: Nice film btw I enjoyed the music with the roses.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
MaryDeluxe said:
I'm green with envy! Roses, the one plant I've had no luck at growing!:mad: Nice film btw I enjoyed the music with the roses.

Perhaps try to grow it in a flower pot? I have no knowledge of gardening, but I think you can do such a thing. Thank you for watching, by the way.

GentleJohnny

New in Town
Victory/Vegetable Gardening

With the rising costs of food in the country right now I was wondering if anyone has or will be making their own "Victory Garden" this spring. My wife and I live in a 1940's home and we decided that it is time to make part of the yard look like the era and it will help save us some money at the grocery store. Hopefully at the beginning of the summer I'll be able to post some pictures of our own Victory Garden on here. Just wondered if anyone else has or had the same idea! :)

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
What a great idea! I live in an apartment so, unfortunately, that's out of the question for me. (my downstairs neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it!) Good luck to you, though; can't wait to see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe