Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaining/maintaining weight? Slowing down metabolism?

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I was just wondering if you gals had any suggestions for gaining/maintaining weight? Or very specifically slowing down your metabolism?> This is very hard for me to do, I really eat a ton, but when ever I go through stress/get sick/ other things I tend to loose very fast. When I loose weight, my friends and parents get on my back and tell me to eat more, when I already do up to 10 times a day The only reason that I am at a healthy weight right now is because I eat like a horse. I would really like to start working out, but its always so hard since I feel like I have to stop to eat every half an hour.Also think this is something that is genetic, because both my mother and father are very thin, my parent's metabolism's have hardly slowed down. I know its not my thyroid, cause that has been tested.My friends just tell me to eat a big mac and some fries, but this is not good for my heart.

Can any suggest ways to slow down the metabolism? or Maybe just some foods that would be better to eat? I feel like my life is run around food, and I am eating all of the right stuff, carbs, protien, whole grains, yogurt, fruit, nuts, meat, I eat a huge breakfast...I have tried ensure/protien shakes, but these don't....Any suggestions for would be greatly appreciated..

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't know that it would slow your metabolism, but lifting weights to strengthen your muscle mass (and your bones! weightlifting fights osteoporosis, which is especially dangerous to very thin women) would give you a healthier build and more "fallback" weight while still being smooth and shapely.

You'd look smooth and lean instead of bone-thin, and that's always nice.

Weightlifting doesn't make women bulk out like Arnold unless they pop steroids with testosterone in them, and it doesn't take real long, so in one of your half-hours of workout you could do yourself a lot of good.

In fact, I would stress strength training at the expense of tons of cardio, which only speeds up your metabolism and burns calories you personally don't really need to lose.

Cardio is for me, my metabolism needs to be sped up. I'm trying to burn fat off; I think our goals are a wee bit different.

-Viola

Viola

Call Me a Cab
How did you get started with yoga? I keep wanting to try it but I can't afford expensive lessons.

I think you might be pleased with the weights: its all very slow contemplative movements, like yoga.

Do you swim? I'm of mixed feelings about it for me, where its tons of fun and I tend to get a bit leaner, but it doesn't make me lose weight...that might be right for you.

-Viola

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I take a class at the local JC, it's pretty inexpensive. You can also join a gym and a lot of them offer class in yoga free to their members. I get SUPER hungry when I swim...so no, I don't.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Metabolic

A chocolate shake drink before and after a workout, should
help maintain current weight with exercise program. :)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Maybe talk to a nutritionist or doctor who could help with healthy weight gain, they could probably also help you find a good trainer who can supervise safe exercises and probably design a regimen for you specifically to gain muscle mass.
Those are the best suggestions I have for you, good luck with your goals!:)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, the best bet is to talk to your doctor. If you have fibromyalgia I assume you see a Rheumatologist. They might not be able to help you with this particular problem, but can refer you to someone who can. Being that I don't have a large intestine, and the last 4 feet of my small intestine is gone too, I had trouble putting on weight. Having Crohn's means that I stop eating all together. So, my doctor put me on steroids. Unfortunately on them I couldn't stop gaining, and I've put on too much, which the doctors are happy about but I'm miserable. But, they really did help with the weight gain. Obviously your reasons for gaining are different than mine were, but any time you put yourself on any type of weight gain regime, you should talk to your doctor.

Elaina

One Too Many
It's a funny half serious answer: Wait until you turn 30.

Up until 2 years ago, I was terribly thin, couldn't put on weight, etc. Turned 30 and in the last 2 years, gained about 60 lbs. Don't eat any more, still work out..but there you are. My doctor also put me on steroids, and until I turned 30, once off, dropped the weight. Not anymore, and now I refuse to take them.

Other then that, any weight goal should be discussed with your doctor. Especially since you've indicated a health issue. What works for me, may not be healthy for you, but YOUR doctor will be able to help you meet those goals. Anytime you have any health conditions anything you don't hear from your doctor or someone your doctor recommends to you should be ignored.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
A guide from the 30's says to drink hot chocolate every night before bed. Maybe not the healthiest way, but it worked for me.

You know, I may be off my rocker, but it seems like kind of a strange topic for a vintage forum, especially since so many members probably have a hard time with loosing weight.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Sorry. I just wanted to ask for advice...:( I guess I had asked for advice on something else, and there was no problem with it...sorry If I offended you...

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Go see a homeopath. And a 'normal' doctor too.
A friend of mine had the same problem (it turned out she had some kind of digestive defect) and a homeopath put her on a special diet which has made her feel a lot better.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Not offended, Nicolletta- I guess from my experience, and I have similar issues, that it's a delicate subject. And it is a delicate subject no matter which side you deal with. I just know many people who are unhappy with their weight and me wanting to gain some is not what they want to hear. When people may bring up how "skinny" I am I tell then that it hurts when they point it out, and they leave it alone. The rest is between me and my doctor. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As Elaina says, give it a few years. I was on the skinny side all thru my childhood, teens, and twenties, and had the metabolism of a hummingbird -- and constantly got the "gee, how do you stay so thin, how can you eat like that, I'm so jealous, blah blah blah" stuff. I used to drink malted milk by the gallon trying to put on weight and fill myself out, but didn't gain an ounce.

But when I hit my mid-30s, it was like a switch got flipped, and I gained 30 pounds without even trying. Metabolism is one of those things that's next to impossible to deliberately change -- but it can change on you, very suddenly.

Rabidgirl

New in Town
Definitly try a local college for yoga classes. The one near me had a great class and the teacher was the best so far. I find it's best to go to place that focus is just yoga. The teachers there seem to have studied the postures in depth and are very good at helping students adjust the postures according to their needs and limitations.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I got to agree that all it takes might be a few years (but better check with your doc anyway). I was a chubby teenager, a thin 19-24 year old and now my weight explodes without doing anything specific. I heard the female body is changing once per 5 years - maybe you are just in a thin phase.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
And in any case enjoy it at least a little bit, most girls want to be skinny as a general statement, and with your thin frame you look dazzling in all your Edwardian and 20's era dresses:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82