Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funny, odd, or the most absurd ads you have ever seen....

Here's an even earlier pic of Irene Ryan

11236574_gal.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Good point!
But I might point out that he was jolly, it doesn't mention jolly in this article.
So you can laugh the weight off, but apparently you can't be jolly or you'll stay heavy...:D
Okay so I looked this up. It's dried thyroid with laxative thrown in.
The seller "Edward Hayes" was brought before the FTC for this. He hired several doctors of the time to say it worked, which outraged the head of the AMA at the time (you're going to love the irony given the one of the ingredients...)" Dr Arthur Cramp.":D It apparently had huge sales at one time, drawing in $600K. In today's terms that would be $7 million dollars.
Here is a link to the lenghty article, not only about this product but several others in dispute.
http://www.quackwatch.org/13Hx/MM/06.html

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Okay so I looked this up. It's dried thyroid with laxative thrown in.

How horrifying. When my mum started Weight Watchers a few years ago, she bought these little chewy candies they made. They were really good, so I started eating them too. We were devouring them by the package. The only thing was, we couldn't figure out why we now had to go to the bathroom all the time. What was wrong with us? What had we been eating?

Then my dad was kind enough to point out one of the ingredients and its associated warning: "Contains mild laxative. Do not eat more than two candies per day." :eusa_doh: Thus, I can only imagine what that stuff might do...

Thanks for that link! It was an interesting read. "Quack watch" is an awesome name.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sorbitol...you've discovered it's hidden secret. :eek:
When my bil was diagnosed with diabetes, I helped him find things he could eat. One of them was sugar free taffy. A neighbor's kid came over and decided to have a few pieces. My nephew TOLD him not to eat more than 2-3 or he'd be sorry...An hour later? He was holding his stomach and complaining of cramps, until he well you know.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
This has got to be the weirdest thread in the pile. It's also one of the best. The strange thing is I used to see some of these ads in comic books and a few recognized magazines. They were weird then and they're weird now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe