Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalizing/Small Pleasures?

Foofoogal

Banned
It truly is amazing one can pick up exquisite vintage china for less then one can get some plastic at wallyworld.
Takes a bit of effort to wash (not in dishwasher, especially if there is any metal on the edge like gilt) but oh so makes such a nicer table.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Since coming to Italy, I have been getting my morning coffee and pastry every day at the same bar. I don't even need to order, I just walk in and the barista just makes my coffee and picks a random pastry.
IMG_8753.jpg

I am really going to miss that little ritual when I get back to the States. It is too expensive, and besides, the coffee won't quite do.

P.S. Here is the bar. I want to be one of these guys when I grow up.
IMG_8746.jpg

Kishtu

Practically Family
Reading this has made me realise how many "rituals" we have.....

Vintage (or at least pure cotton) bed linen, line dried, ironed.
We don't have any other china *but* vintage, although none of it matches lol

We sit down for breakfast, lunch and dinner together every day, at the table in the dining room. We have a tablecloth and flowers on the table... and if we don't have flowers we have one of the scented geranium plants on the table.

And on Saturday mornings, every Saturday, without fail, the Hairy Bloke rings our local bakery and orders four freshly made croissants and we have fresh croissants still warm from baking.

I LOVE being us!!

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
It's the Croisant gathering Hairy Bloke.

I don't know what I "formalised" over the years in trms of personal ritual. I neither smoke, nor shave, so these rituals are not part of my life.

I do know I became a changed man when I began re-enacting, some twenty-plus years ago. Concepts such as "honour" became much more important to me. Honesty became more important than success (fortunately).

I know a number of re-enactors who use period kit in every-day situations. I remember with pleasure drinking tea from a samian ware beaker.

As to cooking: currently I do the cooking, of an evening. I began serious cooking (rather than heating up ready-meals) when at university. I find it very relaxing. I concentrate on the food, and any cares seem to slide away.

Foofoogal

Banned
welcome hairy bloke.

my sister is into cooking and I mean into.
She doesn't cook. She creates as an artist.
Loves to even get library books all the time and tries out new recipes.
It is delightful as I always know what to buy her.
The wilder the ingredients and name is usually what attracts her.
She put together an unreal bridesmaid brunch for our daughter and friends when she married.
When she has Bunko at her house you better lay low as it is an all out affair about 2 weeks in advance. lol
This is what gives her pleasure. Feeding others.
Everyone should have something or start. ;)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello Hairy Bloke :)

I do know I became a changed man when I began re-enacting, some twenty-plus years ago. Concepts such as "honour" became much more important to me. Honesty became more important than success (fortunately).

I have the same feelings. I know some may think otherwise of reenactors, but despite their own differences - from my experience, honor and honesty are far more prevalent it seems within the hobby than in 'regular society'. I know some may disagree, but again...just comes from personal experience.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Thanks for the hint bout T2"

4149317743_ecf96cff75.jpg

"Swan River Colony" Breakfast

BLACK

Description:
A morning pow-wow from the west, Perth Breakfast is a vibrant tea that delivers a perky punch in every cup. An unmistakable mix of bergamot and vanilla creates a smooth and refined aroma that is both fragrant and sweet. A blend of Sri Lankan black teas creates soft, velvety tannins that are melodious on the palate, and stimulating to the senses. Earl Grey lovers will enjoy this sweet twist on the classic. A wonderful sunny west-coast way to start every morning.

Brew:
1 teaspoon per 200mls, brew 2-3 minutes in water at 100 degrees Celsius.

Serve:
Milk is optional with this tea, but to really appreciate the beautiful fragrance enjoy this one black

Flavour:
Black Tea And Flavour.

Strength:
Medium

http://t2tea.com/

Dan'l

Practically Family
the little details count in big ways

I think I'm mainly repeating what others here have said but yes, it seems the little details make a big difference to many of us.
I have some china cups and saucers that were my grandmothers and from time to time we take them out for our tea.
Sometimes, instead of buying flowers, my wife and I will pick a bouquet for a vase. A checked table clothes is always nice with the flowers and perhaps a candle to add to the mood.
Something that's become a favorite of ours is to make a up cheese, fruit, olive, etc. plate with a bottle of wine and just chill on Sunday afternoons. Now with the little guy running around that's become more of a pleasure than a standard.
I haven't done so yet but latley I've been considering wearing a flower on my jacket for occasions as simple going out for dinner, or even church.

cheers

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yeps said:
Since coming to Italy, I have been getting my morning coffee and pastry every day at the same bar.
I am really going to miss that little ritual when I get back to the States. It is too expensive...

...and addictive.
Five years ago, I had a crash pad studio in downtown Chicago; after finding Mr Coffee
dead, I started my neighborhood Starbucks habit. I dropped more cash there than in bars. :eek:

James71

A-List Customer
As my life has become increasingly busy with more responsibility (work and the whole new father thing), the little periods of time that I get to do something decadent mean so much more to me.

One is my Sunday Sundown ritual. I make sure on a sunday evening to be sitting on my bench under the rose bush when the sun goes down. I always have a pipe and usually some sort of beverage and just reflect on the week just had.

A new one that I have just taken on is my nightly shave. Ive always shaved in the mornings, but since taking up the DE safety razor I have made an effort to make the whole process a joy. After putting the little one to bed, I put on some good music, the genre of which is dependent on my mood. Sometimes old school blues or some classical. Rather partial to some cello. A martini or a whiskey on the rocks. A well stuffed pipe or cigar. A long hot shower and then a leisurely lather up and shave. The whole process takes about half an hour and is worth every minute.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have discovered wine. Possibly would drink a glass a year but it always made me sick as in almost take my breath away.
Moving up to North West Arkansas I found there are several wineries around here. Recently they even had a wine festival and I won a wine stomping contest.

So I have found a wine called http://www.wiederkehrwines.com/
I like the Niagara white wine and it doesn't make me sick.
[huh]

So now I like to have a nice glass of wine in a pretty glass.
About once a week. It is delicious.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Every morning The Mister and I have coffee in bed, discuss the day ahead, sometimes listen to the new brief and I always walk him to the door, then a kiss and say goodbye :)
There is always a tablecloth on and the side board et for the next meal..even if w eat at the counter sometimes ;)

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
I still live at home with my parents and a couple siblings, so it's not quite 'my' house yet, but I do a lot of the upkeep in it.

We make a point to always have dinner a sit down, family meal with nice settings, and the food generally served from serving dishes, not pots and pans. I don't use a table cloth unless it's a very formal occasion as I have a fondness for natural wood and spent a lot of time refinishing our dining room table so it would look lovely without a table cloth!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld