Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Historians: C Crown v. Teardrop

SheikhDaoud

New in Town
Here's a question for the historians (and forgive me if this has been answered in the past but I'm too lazy to do research): which is the more classic (i.e., older) bash for a Fedora -- the C Crown or the Teardrop (or, as I scientifically call it, the Borsalino)? Where did each of them originate?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
One problem I've been having with getting one of my hats into a teardrop corwn- I can't seem to get the "teardrop" popup in the middle. I got the perfect c crown edge, but any attempt to do the popup messes up the rest. I guess that'ssomething you have to do on a block, not just with your hands.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
One problem I've been having with getting one of my hats into a teardrop corwn- I can't seem to get the "teardrop" popup in the middle. I got the perfect c crown edge, but any attempt to do the popup messes up the rest. I guess that'ssomething you have to do on a block, not just with your hands.

My suggestion (which works for me) is to make the "C" crown deeper, and then while soft from steam, use your index finger and gently push the pop-up area. Also, for more defined lines around the pop-up, pinch the "c" or teardrop into a tight crease where the pop-up center meets the crease. Let me know how it goes. We can block it, but it's always more fun and rewarding to do a nice "hand-job". :rolleyes:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
and here we go!

here's what i've done with my old knox 15.
6inch crown (unbashed) 3 inch brim. It's a big hat.
Finally got the bash right.
when I got it, it was lumpy, and had an open crown (sort of). It looked like no one had worn it in a long time, and it had been stored in a closet with other stuff leaning on it maybe?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got it a bit up. not too much, but then again, with a crown that tall, it doesn't need to be up that much

Wild Root

Gone Home
There is a slight difference between the C and the Tear drop. Ask Art, he could show you the differences.

As for me, I just punt in a diamond type of block... I have done a "C" to some of my hats... but, they don't have the bump in the middle. I have two Stetson’s that do have the bump in the middle... they were there since the 40's... didn't need to do any work on them... just left them the way they were.

For most of my other earlier styled hats, I like a nice center crease.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
i do the same as Root (though i tend towards the centre dent with slight front pinch rather than diamond).

I go for the diamond for more 40's stlyed hats but, all my 30's hats have the centre dent with slight front pinch. I like that a lot even with the brim all the way down around for that early 30's look.;)

=WR=

MattC

A-List Customer
C or tear without the pop up

My impression is that the "pop up" in a C or teardrop was mostly something you saw in preblocked hats. Hats that were hand creased usually didn't have it (see Bogart in the Falcon). I think the hand creased look is classic.

I think the difference between a C and a teardrop is, looking at the hat from above, that at the start of the semi-circle in the back, there is usually a sort of a break in the line on each side--a clear start to the "C"--so it sort of looks like a C with a triangle butted against it (from above), while the teardrop has a smooth line from the front into and through the C semi circle.

Art will know.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try this bash:
photoa.jpg

Howard Hughes apparently did:
fedora.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld