Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Asinyne

New in Town
Does the Premium Goatskin shrink in the sleeves? I’m wanting to get a trucker and I’m trying to mostly match the measurements of one of the my Levi’s truckers. Those have 19” shoulders and 24” sleeves and I more or less like where the sleeves fall (maybe a half inch too long as it’s almost to the back of my thumb knuckle), but on my customizations I want to also shrink the shoulders from 19” to 18” (which should shorten the sleeves that 1/2 inch), but I’m also concerned that the sleeves will shrink and become too short.

I guess I’m just paranoid that I’m overlooking something when you factor in leather and its thickness, creasing, construction tolerances, etc. Ideally, I’d like my sleeves to fall about 1/2” to maybe 1” past where my wrist bends.

KCW2702

New in Town
HI , new to here and nice to know you guys.
I already have a few high quality leather jackets, which are warm enough for winter. including
Vanson C2- thick and heavy as hell with quilted lining
Buzz Rickson AN6552 - mid weight with warm fur collar
I would like to buy a cheaper summer fashion jacket , possibly a russet A2, for warm weather around 22-19C.
I am thinking about Five star jacket for the low cost.
No repo accurate is needed, i want it looks firm, strong and feel ventilated.
What material and thickness would you suggest ?

Many thanks.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
I already have a few high quality leather jackets, which are warm enough for winter. including
I would like to buy a cheaper summer fashion jacket , possibly a russet A2, for warm weather around 22-19C.

Many thanks.
if you know high quality leather jackets, you won't be satisfied with 5*. Regardless of the price.
If you can't be dissuaded, then take premium goat. But not russet, but if only seal or black.
To be fair, I don't know the new leather.

newtojackets

Practically Family

Many thanks.
Why not get a used jacket? A used schott will run you about the same as a new 5*

newtojackets

Practically Family
if you know high quality leather jackets, you won't be satisfied with 5*. Regardless of the price.
If you can't be dissuaded, then take premium goat. But not russet, but if only seal or black.
To be fair, I don't know the new leather.
In your opinion, how does 5* compare to rugged west?

newtojackets

Practically Family
Let me put it this way... I no longer have a single 5* jacket (apart from a shearling waistcoat), but I still have three RW jackets that I also like to wear.
But you won't get an A-2 from RW. I think.
Ah interesting. As someone who hasn’t owned either, I’m curious to know what exactly separates the two?

Leather quality? Stitching? Pattern?

konadog

Practically Family
I will second what MrProper says. My 5Star Type 3 (which I now have listed in Classifieds) is a great jacket, but it doesn't compare to my more expensive Lewis Leather and Schott jackets. However, for an A2, it seems 5Star has many happy customers. Avi Leather also does well for the A2 style at a good price; check this:

Retserrof

New in Town
Despite multiple warnings, I went ahead and bought a 5 Star jacket to my measurements and requests. When I received it, I initially thought "this doesn't look too bad". Then I realised arms were 25mm too long, 15mm too skinny in forearm/wrist, arm lining wasn't what I asked for, neck diameter was 20mm too large, no 3D arms as requested, there was a small cut on an edge in the front centre, and a few other smaller issues.

Following this, I sent a friendly message to see if we could work something out. This was left unreplied to for 8 days before I put a PayPal case in (maybe premature but they had no issue replying straight away before this). Surprise surprise, I got an email offering 50% off a new one and was made to feel bad for opening my case. This went back and forth a few times with different options after I declined the 50% offer. This resulted in me finally accepting to pay postage for them to send me a new one because they wanted me to pay return postage (which I pointed out it wasn't a change of mind, it was because I didn't get what I paid for and it had some qc issues).

All in all, this has been a couple months of stress I wish I never put myself through. I'm currently waiting for the new one to be made. The product itself would not be horrible if things were right, but they just aren't. I have now started the hunt for a second hand higher quality jacket.
Hi everyone, thought I would update on this one.

I received the replacement jacket a week ago. The jacket does fix the mistakes/issues caused by 5 Star from the previously sent jacket. However, as suggested on this forum, I've now got a few new issues. These are mostly related to the sizing around the bicep/elbow being a little too wide and pulled in an area (been stitched together with a leather "pull"/crease), and I now have a small fold/crease that forms around the back of my neck (I commonly get this in off the rack clothing). I couldn't get a photo of this creasing (live by myself) but it's almost like an "excess fold" right inbetween my shoulders.

Check out photos below, please excuse the white dustiness of the photos, I've recently painted my house and am dealing with dust settling.

Overall, however, I am happy with this jacket and Five Star have sorted things for me from their end. Without being an expert, it mostly fits well and is nicely stitched. Would I put myself through this again? No chance.

Attachments

• 20241009_105603.jpg
    20241009_105603.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20241009_105509.jpg
    20241009_105509.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20241009_105546.jpg
    20241009_105546.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20241009_105635.jpg
    20241009_105635.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20241009_105643.jpg
    20241009_105643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone, thought I would update on this one.

I received the replacement jacket a week ago. The jacket does fix the mistakes/issues caused by 5 Star from the previously sent jacket. However, as suggested on this forum, I've now got a few new issues. These are mostly related to the sizing around the bicep/elbow being a little too wide and pulled in an area (been stitched together with a leather "pull"/crease), and I now have a small fold/crease that forms around the back of my neck (I commonly get this in off the rack clothing). I couldn't get a photo of this creasing (live by myself) but it's almost like an "excess fold" right inbetween my shoulders.

Check out photos below, please excuse the white dustiness of the photos, I've recently painted my house and am dealing with dust settling.

Overall, however, I am happy with this jacket. Without being an expert, it mostly fits well and is nicely stitched. Would I put myself through this again? No chance.
I don't see any issues tbh, looks like a good fitting jacket. Creases are an inherent feature of leather jackets. They're actually what makes them look cool.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't see any issues tbh, looks like a good fitting jacket. Creases are an inherent feature of leather jackets. They're actually what makes them look cool.

A lot of people seem to think (it's not their fault; it's something culture has forgotten) that a good fit means a completely flat smooth back, but it's generally the opposite. There needs to be extra space there even in fabric, let alone leather, for proper range of movement.

Retserrof

New in Town
Oh, I understand where your reply comes from. I'm allllll for creases (I actually really like the one I show around my mid back, and the rolls that happen in the arms etc.).

There's only two creases that aren't "typical". First is on the upper arm where the sleeve was stitched together with some leather loose/bunched or something that's causing it to pull in a weird direction. It will soon be unseen once more natural creases get added. Second is upper back neck area. The leather folds over itself - that's not an issue with Five Star, that is my back shape that causes it on a lot of clothing. I didn't have that with the first Five Star jacket, but wasn't so lucky with it in this update. I still think this jacket is worth the cash and fits nicely, but the hassle and effort to get it to this wasn't worth it.

Retserrof

New in Town
A lot of people seem to think (it's not their fault; it's something culture has forgotten) that a good fit means a completely flat smooth back, but it's generally the opposite. There needs to be extra space there even in fabric, let alone leather, for proper range of movement.
I have noticed an obsession for this here, and I had it too maybe a year ago when I got into leather. Please see my comment above - happy and like the natural creases of leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cossack