Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
Interesting Y'2 Leather Steerhide/Denim halfbelt. Glad it's not my size otherwise I think I would've been quite tempted by this one....

i-img1000x1000-1693104570uz3kny122393.jpg

i-img1000x1000-1693104570k0yida122393.jpg

TartuWolf

One Too Many

cbez

One Too Many
standard and strange sale includes some heavily discounted fountainhead. pretty cool.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

cbez

One Too Many
They look better on the s&s models, the measurements don't seem as tube sock looking as that one would lead you to believe. (That guy is also skinnier and narrower than 99% of men in the US)

They do seem awkward around the chest area though with some weird folds

finecreek-BetaLeatherJacket-BlackHorsehide-Onbody-5760x3840-06_2000x.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
They look better on the s&s models, the measurements don't seem as tube sock looking as that one would lead you to believe. (That guy is also skinnier and narrower than 99% of men in the US)

They do seem awkward around the chest area though with some weird folds

View attachment 544685
Their leathertogs repro is A-shaped with narrow shoulders and chest and a wide hem. That's not what you want for a motorcycle jacket.

By the way, there's a brand new size 42 listed in our classifieds section. Cheaper than at S&S.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fountainhead-beta-leathertog-for-sale-or-for-trade.109139/

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Their leathertogs repro is A-shaped with narrow shoulders and chest and a wide hem. That's not what you want for a motorcycle jacket.

By the way, there's a brand new size 42 listed in our classifieds section. Cheaper than at S&S.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fountainhead-beta-leathertog-for-sale-or-for-trade.109139/
Same issue I had with the Real McCoys Buco JH-1, looked like crap on me, way too narrow shoulders, chest is tight and the hem is wide. To me it feels like 2 different jackets that somehow fused together. Doesn't look great on their own model either I reckon, I like wide shoulders and strong v-taper, this fit is kind of the antithesis of everything I like. I actually quite liked that Fountainhead I saw on the S&S site until I saw the shoulders.

1694004703670.png

1694004522789.jpeg

cbez

One Too Many
I think the shoulders look right for you actually but agree too much waist not enough chest.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I think the shoulders look right for you actually but agree too much waist not enough chest.
I also tried on the J-100, that one looked great, wider shoulders that sit just right of my shoulders so I don't get so much of the sleeve overhanging and curving down the delts, also slim throughout the waist. Unfortunately no J-24 in my size to try on, but I think those two are the flagships for good reason. Those are the two best looking RMC jackets in my opinion. I was initially not so interested in them since they're the most common RMC offerings, but after trying on the J-100, I understood the hype, they're expensive, but that comes with the territory. Still on the hunt for one at a nice price.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
On these patterns where the tag size is the chest circumference plus one, I’d recommend to go up at least one
Same issue I had with the Real McCoys Buco JH-1, looked like crap on me, way too narrow shoulders, chest is tight and the hem is wide. To me it feels like 2 different jackets that somehow fused together. Doesn't look great on their own model either I reckon, I like wide shoulders and strong v-taper, this fit is kind of the antithesis of everything I like. I actually quite liked that Fountainhead I saw on the S&S site until I saw the shoulders.

View attachment 544729
View attachment 544728
size from what you’re used to. I have these jackets in 42 and 44. The thing is 44 isn’t available all the time, and when they are available they’re at least 10% more expensive in Japan or you’d have to pay the Western dealer prices (+$600). Nothing wrong with the patterns they’re just very undersized.
For Japanese X zips, regardless of brands, it’s safe to just go up at least one size. In fact anything advertised as 1930s cut go up at least one size, except the current mobster, the new mobster is one size bigger than the old one except the sleeves are still quite short, this is another issue with Japanese 30s pattern, 34” nape sleeve or 24” ish shoulder to cuff, except Rainbow Country, one inch longer.
Best to try on before buying, they always change model number when they change sizing but there’s no tag on the garment stating the model number, only on the huge removable marketing tag.
Another thing is not only the Japanese do the under sized jackets. Every true to vintage Buco xzip repro would be very undersized. Before 50s Perfectos also sized this way. Tanaka talked about this in his first book, how the J24 variants were very slim compared to the Harley jackets at the same time period, and that they were better fit for the Japanese market. I think that’s why the J24 and Bucks are so popular in Japan.
The new J-24 RMC is one size bigger like the new mobster, but I am not sure on sleeve length. I’ve seen three cases where the Japanese customers are reselling their new Buco because it’s too big. Still waiting for a 42 Japanese guy to dump his new one…

Jasonissm

Practically Family
On these patterns where the tag size is the chest circumference plus one, I’d recommend to go up at least one

size from what you’re used to. I have these jackets in 42 and 44. The thing is 44 isn’t available all the time, and when they are available they’re at least 10% more expensive in Japan or you’d have to pay the Western dealer prices (+$600). Nothing wrong with the patterns they’re just very undersized.
For Japanese X zips, regardless of brands, it’s safe to just go up at least one size. In fact anything advertised as 1930s cut go up at least one size, except the current mobster, the new mobster is one size bigger than the old one except the sleeves are still quite short, this is another issue with Japanese 30s pattern, 34” nape sleeve or 24” ish shoulder to cuff, except Rainbow Country, one inch longer.
Best to try on before buying, they always change model number when they change sizing but there’s no tag on the garment stating the model number, only on the huge removable marketing tag.
Another thing is not only the Japanese do the under sized jackets. Every true to vintage Buco xzip repro would be very undersized. Before 50s Perfectos also sized this way. Tanaka talked about this in his first book, how the J24 variants were very slim compared to the Harley jackets at the same time period, and that they were better fit for the Japanese market. I think that’s why the J24 and Bucks are so popular in Japan.
The new J-24 RMC is one size bigger like the new mobster, but I am not sure on sleeve length. I’ve seen three cases where the Japanese customers are reselling their new Buco because it’s too big. Still waiting for a 42 Japanese guy to dump his new one…
So you're telling me we have to fight over that size 42 J-24 when it comes up? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld