Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finances in the Golden Era and today

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I think you must live in a Three Stooges movie. :rolleyes: Gasoline, paint thinner, turpentine etc. are highly flammable gases if you leave them in open containers! :rolleyes: All of those things come in or are obtained in tightly sealed containers. If you have that stuff open in your garage then you deserve to be blown up. :rolleyes: lol
No drugs. When my mother was on Chemo, she forgot a few things. One of them was turning the car off before going into the house. NOTHING happened. :rolleyes:
No, I am not saying those two gases are hazzardous to each other. I am saying that the gas used to operate a stove is much more mobile, flamable and open to affect a pilot light than auto gas fumes---especially if the stove is next to the water heater. That would be ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Building codes are as they are because some pulled a Three Stooges moment and showed exactly how something shouldn't be done. Put your water heater where you want but I am not responsible for the house being launched into orbit. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

The water heater and the stove BOTH USE THE SAME NATURAL GAS!!!!!!!!!! What are you SMOKING????? Also, if the furnace is natural gas then all three use the SAME NATURAL GAS. What do you think?; that there's different types of gas going to each? How is the natural gas used in a stove going to be harmful to the natural gas used in the water heater if both are in working order? One would have to be leaking in order to ignite the other. WOW! Just like if someone is using solvents in a garage. DUH!

Go back and read the past posts, you're the one talking about auto exhaust, no one mentioned it but you. The topic is solvents. Are solvents always stored in tight containers? Don't people use them while in their garages? Aren't garages where people work on things, build things, clean things, paint things? Building Codes are in place to prevent Three Stooge moments, if it wasn't a problem then the Code wouldn't have been changed. Obviously it's a danger otherwise the Building Code wouldn't prohibit the heaters from being installed on the floor. Have you seen the bottom of a water heater? The flame burns constantly to heat the water. It's an open flame.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Over in San Lorenzo, CA the homes that were first built in 1946 had a door in the front bedroom that lead out to the side of the house in case the people wanted to rent out the room to a boarder, he could have his own door so as not to disturb the people.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
To continue on the water tank topic which seems to be reaching its end. A water tank should sit on a inexpensive plastic tub plumbed to the outside which would address any leaks. Most parts of the country watertanks inside the house are the norm for all the reasons posted already, and if it in a climate where it can be practical to have it in a garage they are mounted elevated off the garage slab to avoid the very real risk of external fumes reaching the pilot.

Mav

A-List Customer
Land-O-LakesGal said:
When I visited friends in England they had the water heater in their bedroom closet and had a switch in the kitchen that turned it on and off as opposed to all the american houses I have been in where we let it run 24/7.
They use primarily "on- demand" electric water heaters over there- no storage tank. The gas version of that with an intermittent pilot is becoming more popular over here (I sell 'em) but most US homes still use tank heaters. They have to burn 24/7 to keep the water warm (keeping condensate down), to resist corrosion.

Foofoogal

Banned
I live in a newer home that has a gas water heater in the hall. Has its own closet. It does have a giant warning label to not store near gasoline or other flammable liquids.
When I was a child a family friends house blew up and their daughter was killed from a hot water heater. I have been afraid of them all my life.
They do have safety valves I know now though. Still I respect them.
I would like to get one of the tankless ones though. Do they work?

Lincsong said:
The water heater and the stove BOTH USE THE SAME NATURAL GAS!!!!!!!!!! What are you SMOKING????? Also, if the furnace is natural gas then all three use the SAME NATURAL GAS. What do you think?; that there's different types of gas going to each? How is the natural gas used in a stove going to be harmful to the natural gas used in the water heater if both are in working order? One would have to be leaking in order to ignite the other. WOW! Just like if someone is using solvents in a garage. DUH!

Go back and read the past posts, you're the one talking about auto exhaust, no one mentioned it but you. The topic is solvents. Are solvents always stored in tight containers? Don't people use them while in their garages? Aren't garages where people work on things, build things, clean things, paint things? Building Codes are in place to prevent Three Stooge moments, if it wasn't a problem then the Code wouldn't have been changed. Obviously it's a danger otherwise the Building Code wouldn't prohibit the heaters from being installed on the floor. Have you seen the bottom of a water heater? The flame burns constantly to heat the water. It's an open flame.

I meant they are all the same natural gas. :rolleyes: A leak in one would ignite the other.:rolleyes:
Water heaters were not always installed on platforms. Originally in the 40s, they were indeed installed on the floor. Nothing ever happened to mine.
The Three Stooges moment would be a fool working in the garage with such chemicals without adequate ventilation. Thought seems to prevent problems. :rolleyes: If you want clean or paint things---don't do it in the garage with a water heater in the first place. :eusa_doh:

Mav

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
I would like to get one of the tankless ones though. Do they work?
Yes, quite well. The original cost of installation is higher than an old style heater, but you quickly make that up in energy savings- you're not burning fuel keeping 40 to 50 gallons of water warm.

Let me know by PM when you decide to do it- some brands have a better service and warranty history than others.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I meant they are all the same natural gas. :rolleyes: A leak in one would ignite the other.:rolleyes:
Water heaters were not always installed on platforms. Originally in the 40s, they were indeed installed on the floor. Nothing ever happened to mine.
The Three Stooges moment would be a fool working in the garage with such chemicals without adequate ventilation. Thought seems to prevent problems. :rolleyes: If you want clean or paint things---don't do it in the garage with a water heater in the first place. :eusa_doh:

:rolleyes: Oh, brother the things you come up with when painted into a corner. :eek:

Lincsong said:
:eusa_booh :whip: worthlesswithoutpics
rv_photo_1.jpg

iStock_000002471755Small.jpg

iStock_000000899468Small.jpg

colonial-cape-cod-2268048.jpg

121643334.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe