Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finances in the Golden Era and today

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Water heaters were not always installed on platforms. Originally in the 40s, they were indeed installed on the floor. Nothing ever happened to mine.

A waterheater in a garage is required to be installed atleast 18" off the garage slab according to even the most lax code. You should have someone install yours properly to avoid any potential problems. It is an easy one to tackle for a do-it-yourselfer also.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Just to clear up one point incase someone stumbled on this thread looking for pointers on mounting a water heater.lol
Uniform Plumbing Code (section 510.1) applies to California
Water heaters generating a glow, spark, or flame capable of igniting flammable vapors may be installed in a garage, provided that pilots, burners, or heating elements and switches are atleast 18 inches above the floor level. Applies also to electric water heaters.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Wow! I don't think I would want that. It could destroy your whole house if it went. :eek: :eusa_doh:
Mine is under the house in the basement. It can stay there. :D

Modern water heaters are pretty safe, with their safety TPR valves, but if one is going to blow, its location in the cellar will not protect anything. Here is a video of a water heater explosion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q
[YOUTUBE]<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="500" height="405" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JmJoyuUJj2Q" frameborder="0"></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

An exploding water heater can launch itself more than 400 feet in the air!

Of course, such explosions are almost unheard of these days, with proper installations and modern TPR valves.

I wonder why I can no longer successfully post YouTube video to the forum?

handlebar bart said:
A waterheater in a garage is required to be installed atleast 18" off the garage slab according to even the most lax code. You should have someone install yours properly to avoid any potential problems. It is an easy one to tackle for a do-it-yourselfer also.

That is the modern code. I am not disputing that. However, back when it was built(1940s), all water heaters in the area were in fact just set on the concrete floor in the garage. That was the way it was. Many are still that way. I notice when the neighbors put up the garage door or when we talk in front of the garage. In a neighborhood of hundreds of houses, I have not heard of one water heater explosion in 40 some years. [huh]
When you replace them then you can/should put them on a platform.

By the way, that requirement out here was not put into effect until 1968 from my subsequent research on the code number you refered to.

vitanola said:
Modern water heaters are pretty safe, with their safety TPR valves, but if one is going to blow, its location in the cellar will not protect anything. Here is a video of a water heater explosion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q
[YOUTUBE]<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="500" height="405" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JmJoyuUJj2Q" frameborder="0"></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

An exploding water heater can launch itself more than 400 feet in the air!

Of course, such explosions are almost unheard of these days, with proper installations and modern TPR valves.

I wonder why I can no longer successfully post YouTube video to the forum?

Yeah, that water heater was replaced a few years ago and it cost me a ton to have it retrofitted to be safe---next to a furnace. :p

Lincsong said:
Yeah I don't see any garages in those pictures.

Here is the typical floor plan of a house built in the 1940s:
1947%20sample%20home%20floor%20plan%20.jpg

They tend to look like this one here:
GiraldaSolarPanals1040%27s.jpg

A large house for the time:
2197026873.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:

2197026873.jpg

No such thing as a typical 1940 house plan, unless you are just referring to the house having a kitchen, bedrooms, living room, and indoor toilet and not the actual layout of the house. Those may be found in the small sliver of the globe you reside but that is hardly typical.
And I will ignore the other response posts as your point has evaporated. Building code supercedes the poor practices of a unknowledgable 'handyman' in 1940 or 2010. Codes exist for a reason and the reason is to protect people from unknowingly being in a dangerous environment. Perhaps you have learned about the dangers associated with the improper installation of water heaters and can now share that with those you care about because just because something unfortunate and avoidable hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't or won't, especially since people are apparently oblivious to the dangers.

handlebar bart said:
No such thing as a typical 1940 house plan, unless you are just referring to the house having a kitchen, bedrooms, living room, and indoor toilet and not the actual layout of the house. Those may be found in the small sliver of the globe you reside but that is hardly typical.
And I will ignore the other response posts as your point has evaporated. Building code supercedes the poor practices of a unknowledgable 'handyman' in 1940 or 2010. Codes exist for a reason and the reason is to protect people from unknowingly being in a dangerous environment. Perhaps you have learned about the dangers associated with the improper installation of water heaters and can now share that with those you care about because just because something unfortunate and avoidable hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't or won't, especially since people are apparently oblivious to the dangers.

I said that that is what houses look like here. :rolleyes:
Handyman? That was done by housing developers back in the 1940s.
The code may supercede what was previously done but the code supercedes tons of things that would make you literally tear down a whole house as it doesn't conform to code today. Previous things are grandfathered for that reason.
I am not saying that it was better or not---just that that was the way it was done back then. :rolleyes:
This is all very off topic for this thread and I will cease responding to get this back on track. [huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It would cost me thousands of dollars to get my house up to code: Moving the garage farther from the alley, moving the circuit box outdoors, putting in a fan for the stove, putting in GFIs...that's just the stuff I know about.

Considering that I've lived in my house for 14 years without incident, I think I'll save my money.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:

2197026873.jpg

You can say that that is also the typical floor plan of a 1200 square foot house built today. They tend to be the same; three bedrooms, kitchen but now there's two baths. I don't know of any single family homes built today that are only 2 bedroom. Just condo's and townhouses.

Lincsong said:
You can say that that is also the typical floor plan of a 1200 square foot house built today. They tend to be the same; three bedrooms, kitchen but now there's two baths. I don't know of any single family homes built today that are only 2 bedroom. Just condo's and townhouses.

The plan shows two bedrooms not three. The dining and living room are fairly large in the plans so it might have well been 1200 square feet. [huh]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe