Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fiebing's Mink Oil Paste on jacekts?

horseman308

New in Town
I just got a US Wings Steerhide Legend jacket. It's great in many ways. However, the leather is a little drier to the touch and a little lighter color than I hoped, so I was thinking I could both condition it and darken it with some kind of good leather conditioner. I have the Fiebing's Mink Oil Paste I use on my cowboy and hiking boots. Would that work on a jacket? I usually rub it in with bare fingers in a kind of circular, expanding motion a little bit at a time. I just put on a thin layer once a year on those boots. Is there a better method to use for a jacket? Or do y'all recommend something else?

Avoid.
Nothing will really "re-hydrate" leather.
Many treatments just add weight..and may actually have a detrimental affect on leather.
From a Wikepedia section on another oil...neatsfoot oil;

"If used on important historical objects, neatsfoot oil (like other leather dressings) can oxidize with time and contribute to embrittling.[6] It also may leave an oily residue that can attract dust. On newer leather, it may cause darkening (even after a single application), thus may not be a desirable product to use when the maintenance of a lighter shade is desired. Neatsfoot oil is more useful for routine use on working equipment."

If I want to apply something to a leather jacket, I use Pecard's Antique Leather dressing.
Used by museums to maintain fragile leather items.
I apply a VERY light coat about every 3-5 years, (if at all) and let it sit overnight, then remove the excess. That's it.

From "Aero Leather" re; "treating" their leather jackets;

"Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035."

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Now there's a good invention. Haven't felt the need to condition any jackets so far, but I have this abiding fear of overdoing it and ending up with a drenched, wrecked mess. These, I guess, would take the guessing out of it.

I also use Lexol as a light and effective quick clean/conditioner. I've used it for a long time, so I'm comfortable recommending it. I use it on our leather furniture, belts, boots, watch straps, etc. Hard to over-do, which is a big concern. A greasy jacket is awful and basically, ruined.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
By all means avoid mink oil. It's really awful stuff. I just scored an old leather valise that I will use as a camera case. The leather is in good shape but somewhat dry, so Pecard's is what I will use on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld