Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

Compacts, in general, are a joke.

GM decided to fight this with one car (when I was a kid), the Vega.
Almost 70 yrs of designing and you came up with that?
Underpowered for it's size, making performance non existent.
Ford's answer was the Capri.
Another brilliant move...

My car was built in Arlington, Texas, your argument is invalid.

I don't think anyone would fault you for having pride in your country, but when it comes to cars the lines are a bit blurry.

Lets take the Ford F-150 truck. American as apple pie, right? Except they're built in Mexico, not the US. Same for Chevy Tahoes and GMC Yukons.

Well, what about BMWs like the 3 series, X5, and Z4? Evil German cars...except they're built in Spartanburg South Carolina.

Honda has six plants in Ohio cranking out Accords, Civics and Elements.

The Ford 500? It's a Volvo S80. The Chyrsler 300? It's a Mercedes E-class.

And having been a mechanic and having worked on everything from a Model T to a Ferrari I can tell you the are crap cars from everywhere, and some really nicely put together ones from places you wouldn't expect.

/rant

Justin B

One Too Many
My car was built in Arlington, Texas, your argument is invalid.

Mine was built in Toledo Ohio, doesn't make a hill of beans to what I was saying.

Point of that was that you can't judge foreign or domestic anymore just by the name plate. I'm not telling you to run out and buy you a Hyundai, but I'm saying there is so much intermingling of companies and technology that unless someone (like you) buys only older cars there's no telling if that Toyota was actually built in San Antonio or if the Buick was put together down Mexico way. I think you'd really be surprised how many "Imports" aren't.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ation-of-whats-really-made-in-america-feature

I don't think anyone would fault you for having pride in your country, but when it comes to cars the lines are a bit blurry.

Lets take the Ford F-150 truck. American as apple pie, right? Except they're built in Mexico, not the US. Same for Chevy Tahoes and GMC Yukons.

Well, what about BMWs like the 3 series, X5, and Z4? Evil German cars...except they're built in Spartanburg South Carolina.

Honda has six plants in Ohio cranking out Accords, Civics and Elements.

The Ford 500? It's a Volvo S80. The Chyrsler 300? It's a Mercedes E-class.

And having been a mechanic and having worked on everything from a Model T to a Ferrari I can tell you the are crap cars from everywhere, and some really nicely put together ones from places you wouldn't expect.

/rant
I don't care where they are made. Ugly is still ugly. :p You need to buy yourself a nice safe Smart car:
bad976.jpg
lol lol lol

Justin B

One Too Many
Those things scare me. They are all over the place here in Dallas and the people that drive them must have a suicide pact because they are the worst about cutting you off. Pretty sure my Jeep would just go on over them like a speed bump if I didn't stop.

Oh and Ford trucks made in Mexico. Figures:
bad984.jpg
Deader than a door nail: "The truck flipped for about a quarter mile ejecting her from the truck. She was struck by one of the other vehicles. If she wasn't dead when she was thrown from the truck she was after the car ran over her. The truck ended up stopping in the oncoming lane. Luckily it didn't hit anyone. The people in the van were fine."

Those things scare me. They are all over the place here in Dallas and the people that drive them must have a suicide pact because they are the worst about cutting you off. Pretty sure my Jeep would just go on over them like a speed bump if I didn't stop.
They are all over the place out here too. I know they are living on borrowed time. ;p The funniest part is that morons over 6 feet seem to gravitate to them. lol lol I figure it this way---they make driving much more safe for me. My big old car hitting one of them would be like hitting a pot hole. :p

It just shows you have taste.

I thought about it...but there were those who thought I was trying to be hotsy totsy with my nose up in the air (I mean more than usual). [huh]

I would never drive a car smaller than my current car's engine bay.

I can do whatever I want, dammit! This is a free country and I'm free to buy/not buy anything I don't want to buy for any damn reason I want to. I'm just not going to buy, at any time, any car manufactured by a company that built gear for the Axis.

Mine was built in Toledo Ohio, doesn't make a hill of beans to what I was saying.

Point of that was that you can't judge foreign or domestic anymore just by the name plate. I'm not telling you to run out and buy you a Hyundai, but I'm saying there is so much intermingling of companies and technology that unless someone (like you) buys only older cars there's no telling if that Toyota was actually built in San Antonio or if the Buick was put together down Mexico way. I think you'd really be surprised how many "Imports" aren't.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ation-of-whats-really-made-in-america-feature

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I can do whatever I want, dammit! This is a free country and I'm free to buy/not buy anything I don't want to buy for any damn reason I want to. I'm just not going to buy, at any time, any car manufactured by a company that built gear for the Axis.

Hi Tom

How doe we decide if a car is German or Japanese now? My Subaru was made in Indiana (yeah American Jobs), but the profits were taxed in Japan (boo). Mercedes has a good sized plant in Mid-Alabama, but the profits are taxed in Germany.

I'll get another Subaru when this one finally dies, it has all wheel drive all of the time, gets good mileage and has electric butt warmers.

later

I buy older cars, built in the US, from the big three. That's how I decide. I have little tolerance for these modern, unibody, plastic pieces of trash they call automobiles.

Hi Tom

How doe we decide if a car is German or Japanese now? My Subaru was made in Indiana (yeah American Jobs), but the profits were taxed in Japan (boo). Mercedes has a good sized plant in Mid-Alabama, but the profits are taxed in Germany.

I'll get another Subaru when this one finally dies, it has all wheel drive all of the time, gets good mileage and has electric butt warmers.

later
Where it is taxed is where it is made.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Get rid of the Dart yet?
I thought of you earlier Tom, one of the sections here has pics from a department store through the years.
One picture is of the early 70's, with several station wagons in it, one that sticks right out because of the front is a Ford. :)

Get rid of the Dart yet?
I thought of you earlier Tom, one of the sections here has pics from a department store through the years.
One picture is of the early 70's, with several station wagons in it, one that sticks right out because of the front is a Ford. :)

My mechanic's son is trying to get rid of his Scamp that he did a bunch of work to. I thought of Tom too. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82