Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

tinmanzzz said:
To say I'm not proud would be a lie. From the little information I can find on the web it would appear that the hat was sold in either the 30's ?? or 50's for $100 ( or 2 weeks pay in the 50's)

I hope the Dinerman, Matt, Carter, Art or any of the rest of you can help me fill in the holes.

Now the Pictures:

11.jpg

12.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Will post complete details when it comes in

Based on the liner and style of the hat, I would say it was likely made in the 1950s. I remember seeing the name on the sweatband Frank R. Merrick and did some research on who it might be to no avail. That might be one of the most interesting avenues to see who he was and what he did. The name sounds familiar but I can't find anything. [huh]

Dinerman said:
The paper tag makes me want to say '60s, but since these were pretty limited production, the sweatband and such are pretty '50s. The overall style doesn't help with dating.

You might be right. I didn't look very close at the tag.
Battelstein's opened in the Sharpston Mall in Houston Texas in September, 1961. I am not sure how long it lasted but in the 1980s renovation a food court was placed where Battelstein's once was so it didn't make it quite that far. [huh]
So that gives the hat a possible date of 1961 forward.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Well I got the Shudde Bros OR today...it was small...7 3/8...measured out at 23"...It would have made a great beater...I'll probably put it back up on the 'bay...Ah well...[huh] :D

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Was that the one that was pretty beat up already? I've only seen one Schudde Bros. lately that I can recall- I thought it was smaller.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
I'm thinking 50's

jamespowers said:
You might be right. I didn't look very close at the tag.
Battelstein's opened in the Sharpston Mall in Houston Texas in September, 1961. I am not sure how long it lasted but in the 1980s renovation a food court was placed where Battelstein's once was so it didn't make it quite that far. [huh]
So that gives the hat a possible date of 1961 forward.

I'm thinking 50's
Also, Battelstein's was in Houston years before the Mall was opened. They just expanded.

tortswon

Practically Family
Beautiful hat

Congrats on your acquisition, Tinman! I think when a hat costs that much it is an acquisition, not a purchase. lol Wear it well! Best, Sam

tortswon

Practically Family
Could Someone Please Tell Me What I Bought?

I bought this last night on eBay. I've never seen a Stetson Gun Club that looks quite like this. It just called out to me. Can someone give me a little insight on what I just purchased? Thanks, Sam

186625680_tp.jpg

186625747_tp.jpg

186625855_tp.jpg

186626080_tp.jpg

186625935_tp.jpg

186626033_tp.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Tortswon,
We generally refer to those as fuzzies, though they go by names like "satin finish" and the like. They range from tasteful to looking like a rabbit on the head. There's a short "show us" thread about them.

The gun club has been around a long time and has seen as many variations as any hat. Yours is one of the better looking versions I've ever seen, and I love the ribbon. If you're looking for a date, that's a dinerman question.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I'm taking a shot

778b_1.JPG

Well, being that I just love my DOBBS "Fifteen" and have had meager success with size 7 1/8(which this hat is), I figured, "what the hell" and scored this DOBBS for $19 total. It looks like it needs a bit of reshaping and the seller says it's in great condition, but I'll know for sure once I get it. Her great may just be different than my great. I am hoping it's a diamond in the rough though. I've got my fingers crossed!

GWD

One Too Many
tortswon said:
I bought this last night on eBay. I've never seen a Stetson Gun Club that looks quite like this. It just called out to me. Can someone give me a little insight on what I just purchased? Thanks, Sam

Nice hat Sam, I have one very similar to yours, I'm guessing it to be in the late 50's to early 60's just based on the style and brim width.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
Was that the one that was pretty beat up already? I've only seen one Schudde Bros. lately that I can recall- I thought it was smaller.
It didn't look to bad...there were worse listed...the owner said it was 23 - 24 "...and it falls on the 23" mark...It does have one small hole...needs a good cleaning...etc etc etc[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe