Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad it went to a member of the FL.

tinmanzzz said:
Thanks Carter. Actually, I was expecting you to be the one bidding on it. I must have gotten luckie.:D :D

I hate buying from a Zero seller, however we hd several emails and she sent me additional pictures, so I took the chance

I must stop searching. I must stop bidding. I must stop buying hats. No more room. I must have a sale! :(

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tinmanzzz said:
Just Won this 7 5/8's Open Road
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270281423724&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

e2a3_1.jpg

e01e_1.jpg

mypictures045sm.jpg

mypictures047sm.jpg

mypictures050sm.jpg

the last 60 seconds were pure "HECK":D waiting to see if I would get sniped. It is so hard to find the older hats in a 5/8's
Anyway, I will up date when it arrives. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
:eek: Wow!!...note to self, must maintain no Ebay policy.....:eusa_doh:

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Mid 50's ????

tonyb said:
Yes, tinmanjazz, count me among the congratulators. What do we say about its vintage, ladies and gents? I'm guessing mid- to late-1950s.

I'm thinking Mid 50's. I hope there will be clues in the box or the seller will know it's history.
thanks

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
carter said:
I must stop searching. I must stop bidding. I must stop buying hats. No more room. I must have a sale! :(
Hey Carter!
You must not be following you mantra :rolleyes: congratulations on picking up the OR for what seems like reasonable $ :eusa_clap Sorry, don't know how ya'll do that clever link thing, but the auction just ended and I thought I recognized your ID...:eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
Blame Tinmanzzz. The devil in the hat made me do it. :eek: [huh]

Actually, I asked the initial circumference question on the OR he won. When the seller didn't respond, I quit watching the hat. Had I known about the ellipse calculator at this link:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html
I might have stuck around.
I kinda like the way this worked out for both of us.
And I still need to stop buying hats! :(

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
GREAT LINK

carter said:
Blame Tinmanzzz. The devil in the hat made me do it. :eek: [huh]

Actually, I asked the initial circumference question on the OR he won. When the seller didn't respond, I quit watching the hat. Had I known about the ellipse calculator at this link:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html
I might have stuck around.
I kinda like the way this worked out for both of us.
And I still need to stop buying hats! :(

Glad to know about that link. However, I took 2 of my best fitting hats and measured them the way the seller had. I figured most people have problems getting the circumference right.
Anyway, I knew it was a 7 5/8's and if it needs a nudge to fit OK

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AlanC said:
Speaking of gambles, I grabbed this odd lot. Surely something will work out for me.

b9f6_1.JPG

The box with this bunch finally showed up today. I think two of the hats will work for me, including--amazingly enough--the one I was really taking a gamble on: the Brooks Brothers hat. He gave no size for it, but it turns out to be a 7 3/8 and actually fits (once owned by someone named 'Ken'). It's a Locke made BB with a couple of moth bites to the exterior, but those will be fine with a little attention. There's also a tagged 7 1/2 Mallory that fits; it should clean up well. The rest include some useable hats in smaller sizes that will be moved along.

bolthead

AlanC said:
The box with this bunch finally showed up today. I think two of the hats will work for me, including--amazingly enough--the one I was really taking a gamble on: the Brooks Brothers hat. He gave no size for it, but it turns out to be a 7 3/8 and actually fits (once owned by someone named 'Ken'). It's a Locke made BB with a couple of moth bites to the exterior, but those will be fine with a little attention. There's also a tagged 7 1/2 Mallory that fits; it should clean up well. The rest include some useable hats in smaller sizes that will be moved along.
Good to here Alan, glad you lucked out on your gamble. :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
Alan, Glad to hear there are some keepers in that bunch. Looking forward to seeing that Mallory when it's cleaned-up and ready to go out in public. Before and after shots could be interesting as well.

AlanC

In that picture above, I think the two keepers are front-center (the Mallory, gray, sort of narrow Playboy-type ribbon) and far rear-right (BB-Locke, heavy felt with sewn over welt, liner has gone missing). Trying to figure out creasing currently.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
In that picture above, I think the two keepers are front-center (the Mallory, gray, sort of narrow Playboy-type ribbon) and far rear-right (BB-Locke, heavy felt with sewn over welt, liner has gone missing). Trying to figure out creasing currently.

Hey Alan, looking at the group photo, what's the tan hat in the center back with the thin dark ribbon? There isn't a seperate photo of it in the auction link.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Just curious. Anybody have a guess as to why there were no bids on this hat? Yes, it's small. If I hadn't recently bought a very similar one, I might have bid. What do the experts think of he quality?
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190256102913&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Wow, that's a great looking hat. I've never heard of that company (American?) before but it looks like a quality hat. Dang fine.

If I had seen it I might have bid and tried to stretch it a bit.

AlanC

thunderw21 said:
Hey Alan, looking at the group photo, what's the tan hat in the center back with the thin dark ribbon? There isn't a seperate photo of it in the auction link.

It's a fuzzy Resistol with moth damage and a braided ribbon, size 7 1/8. Some brushing would probably help it considerably. I'll let it go cheap! ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Just curious. Anybody have a guess as to why there were no bids on this hat? Yes, it's small. If I hadn't recently bought a very similar one, I might have bid. What do the experts think of he quality?
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190256102913&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

If the moth nibbles on the crown are the only visible damage, that's a swell fedora. It apears to be exceptionally cleaninside and out. I like the bound edge and even the hat pin is interesting. My guess is there was no one interested in it because of the size and the non-mainstream name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe