Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Post #1 of this thread says it's okay to post live auctions...

There are the rules posted by administrators, and then there are the guidelines followed by those of us who don't want to ruin someone else's opportunity.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
It always goes two ways. When somebody posts an auction I have my eyes on I don't like the competition I might get. When somebody posts an auction I might have otherwise missed I'm grateful I got the heads-up.

Also picked up this (probably 1930s) J. Hückel´s Söhne Velour, size measured at 58/59cm. The ribbon is missing and for some reason button snaps were applied to the felt. Hopefully they can be removed and a ribbon can be installed that cover the holes. Also has seen some heavy wear. I went for this one because it's very rare to find a larger size old Austrian Velour in a lighter color.

6824068353_ff334a2289_o.jpg

6824051343_f74e4e6596_o.jpg

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations, Randall!! That looks like a nice one. I'd forgotten that today was the Super Bowl, but you're probably right... there may have been some interested in the hat that got caught up with the game and forgot about it. Worked out well for you!

Cheers,
Tom

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Alan and Lefty. I've heard so much about this model, all positive, so I am excited to have one on the way. My maximum bid was a good deal higher, too. All the better in case it looks ludicrous atop my rustic bean.

And yes, that Playboy looked to be a good gamble.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I haven't watched a football game in probably nine or ten years, but somehow found myself in front of this one today-- nor particular reason, in fact.

Randall-- that Alessandria looks really beautiful-- congrats!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

TipTop

Practically Family
Since we are talking about Souper Bowl Sales, ironically, Googling this "Thoroughbred" last night is what first led me HERE on a search for info on the brand. Anybody know something about the brand?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...sPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160#ht_500wt_1114

I snagged this pinched telescope, in box, as a first sale for the seller; we'll see how it goes. It looks like a nice quality, and when I enquired about labels inside the hat, he cheerfully responded "10Xs and it says "long oval." Buy It Now; done. I'll pluck those feathers and find something a bit more contemporary to band it.

My second last night was another, in box, from Barney's in NYC..at my and its opening bid. Not well described, but certainly well preserved.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123#ht_4487wt_1099

I'll steam that upturned flap down and and add a band we'll be in business. If you aren't familiar with Barney's, it's top shelf, so even though the Aussie brand is unfamiliar to me, I have no doubts about the quality.

Thank you NBC.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
How on earth can it be that no one around here has posted this yet:

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fedora-OVI...-Hills-Gray-Brown-Felt-Sz-7-1-4-/140691021108

It's from Oviatt's, for Pete's sake! Almost certainly a Knox model designed especially by James Oviatt for his store.

Don't know about Oviatt's? Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Oviatt_Building

Fascinating architectural tidbit. I also got a kick out this Wiki euphemism: "Mr. Oviatt and a colleague, hat salesman Frank Baird Alexander, launched their partnership in men’s clothing." Coming from Salt Lake, we can bet that "partnership" was a new release in LA...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe