Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
I have high hopes that all it needs is a little bit of steam work, it appears to be only a little bit out of shape. I would hate to sacrifice the vintage sweat band workmanship without good reason, but I should admit that I already had Art in mind also. I think those straws can be re-blocked to pull a little height out of the crown to add an eighth or so to the brim width, so if the brim is too narrow, that may be an option. I'm hoping that the brim is not so narrow, that it only looks that way because of the relatively high crown. Hate to sacrifice that sweat band if not absolutely necessary.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You have to be careful on buying straw hats on Ebay. It sometimes is a roll of the dice. I lost a priceless hat for $5 short of the winning bid of $50 bucks.....this is when I was new to the Lounge...back in 2003.

The seller posted only two very dark, fuzzy pictures of a rolled up panama hat. I let it go thinking it would be a cheap, dried up, useless straw. It sold for the high bid of $50.

The buyer sent it to Graham Thompson in Chicago at Optimo to have it blocked. Graham said it was absolutely the BEST Montecristi straw hat he had ever seen, super fine weave, very cleanly woven and even. It was a perfectly preserved vintage hat...woven by an old master weaver.

The owner of the hat (a couple years ago) offered it for sale on the Lounge for one or two thousand..I don't remember. I think he still has it.

That said, I scored some vintage beauties I still have which you can't find anywhere, as the good ones seem to have been snapped up.

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I lost a priceless hat for $5 short of the winning bid of $50 bucks.....this is when I was new to the Lounge...back in 2003.

The seller posted only two very dark, fuzzy pictures of a rolled up panama hat. I let it go thinking it would be a cheap, dried up, useless straw. It sold for the high bid of $50.

The buyer sent it to Graham Thompson in Chicago at Optimo to have it blocked. Graham said it was absolutely the BEST Montecristi straw hat he had ever seen, super fine weave, very cleanly woven and even. It was a perfectly preserved vintage hat...woven by an old master weaver.

The owner of the hat (a couple years ago) offered it for sale on the Lounge for one or two thousand..I don't remember. I think he still has it.

Yep. This one: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?18574-Panama-Hats&p=321050&viewfull=1#post321050

Congratulations, John... that looks to be a very nice straw and I think you got it at a favorable price. It reminds me of this Supernatural, which is a handsome hat of modest weave count. The pug is 1 7/8" and the brim 2 7/8". I would gamble that yours will be in the 400 range and the brim around 2 1/2. Beauty is of course more than weave count and I hope this one turns out to be a beauty in your eyes. A blast of steam and light ironing on the brim (with cloth protection between the iron and straw!) can work wonders.

060811.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

No...that is NOT the one. And maybe Graham said that when THAT hat was shipped, but I am talking about a totally different hat. The guy who bought it lives in California, not far from me. And Art Fawcett saw it. It was spectacular. Maybe searching the archives of the classified on the Lounge may show the hat I am talking about.

EDIT. I did my homework Marc... It is THIS THREAD by SPRFINO. Remember?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Sale-Superfino-Panama.&highlight=panama+sale

He has not posted since March of 2010. He is also the gentleman who sold the replica hat measuring tool (Scissors kind of thing). His opening bid for the hat in question was $2000, and it was supposedly worth it. But, at the time he was selling, the real estate and stock markets were tanked.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
EDIT. I did my homework Marc... It is THIS THREAD by SPRFINO. Remember?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Sale-Superfino-Panama.&highlight=panama+sale

He has not posted since March of 2010. He is also the gentleman who sold the replica hat measuring tool (Scissors kind of thing). His opening bid for the hat in question was $2000, and it was supposedly worth it. But, at the time he was selling, the real estate and stock markets were tanked.

Perhaps the most unconventional thread I ever saw in the classifieds.

pw019.jpg

pw018.jpg

pw017.jpg

Royal Stetson, one bidder. Heathered gray with unusual fabric lavender/gray ribbon. Underwelt edge. I've never seen one exactly like it, but threw a bid out just for the heck of it. The felt is nice and pliable. Will clean, steam and wear promptly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe