Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I just saw an ebay auction for a Stetson Straw. The description said that it was "straw like." Straw like? It is either straw or it isn't (and it is a straw). LOL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Well, which do you want, precise descriptions that you find inaccurate, or vague descriptions that make no promises? I saw that Stetson yesterday and, if I'm remembering it correctly, it's a milan - and may or may not be real milan (paper,palm,etc.) To me, straw-like is more accurate than not.

edit: Just looking at it again, it's a new one, which makes it paper and plastic, which almost no seller could ever know.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OK, call me an addict. Even tho I lost my job I am still buying hats on ebay! It was pretty cheap, though.

I just "won" this one tonight… Blue Black Vintage Stetson Hat

IMG_0249.jpg

Some of my best hats started as bad pictures and descriptions. Some of my worst deals
from clear, if inadequate, pictures and listings. I second that the lister in the overwhelming
majority of hat auctions has no idea what he or she has and must be lead by questions.
Heck, most vintage dealers I have talked to don't know anything useful about hats.
Happily there are plenty of eBay sellers who are willing to accept their mistake and refund your money.

For me, the key to success in online auctions is to win more than you lose. There will be debacles,
there will be amazing finds, and there will be times when you break even. Some people are jerks.
In those cases, I try to focus on how well I have done in other deals...

Also remember that you learn from your mistakes and you can learn from the mistakes
and problems posted here.

Very sage advice!

barrowjh

One Too Many
MV, the seller's presentation revealed it as modern instead of vintage, and the bound brim (instead of cav edge) is a negative. If that hat had sported the older roan leather sweatband and other vintage markings there would have been a lot more interest in it.

OK, call me an addict. Even tho I lost my job I am still buying hats on ebay! It was pretty cheap, though.

I just "won" this one tonight… Blue Black Vintage Stetson Hat

IMG_0249.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
MV, the seller's presentation revealed it as modern instead of vintage, and the bound brim (instead of cav edge) is a negative. If that hat had sported the older roan leather sweatband and other vintage markings there would have been a lot more interest in it.

Agreed. It for SURE isn't "vintage." As to the bound edge, I am actually a fan of bound edge hats. I like welted edges, too, but not a big fan of raw edge fedoras (tho I have a few).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld