Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

MW, Those velours you have are awesome. That one looks kinda small, I cant wait to hear about it once you get your hands on it

I think your right about the size but if I see a unusual hat like this I usually go for it if the price is reasonable. This was one was $36.35 including shipping from Germany.

coble

A-List Customer
heres my new ebay win 29 dollars plus shipping so around 39. my new Bowler from 1960-1970 or so, the lister put it down as 1890, but its all good and well i still love it, its got character.

313161_10150376172840350_503590349_10648693_230394214_n.jpg

317576_10150376172775350_503590349_10648692_2060290742_n.jpg

Last edited:
Alright fellow size 7 wearers...everyone ready for the fights? Remember, keep it above the waist and no gloating after winning.

Yup, those of you who will not be duking it out in the 7 wieght class sit back and watch the fireworks...someone is about to spend some money.

Go for it, Justin. I plan to stay out of the fray, unless it's something very unusual or unusually inexpensive. I figure it's time to let some other folks have a chance, plus I'm running out of room.:eusa_doh:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
heres my new ebay win 29 dollars plus shipping so around 39. my new Bowler from 1890 woooohoo, i love it, its got such character.

313161_10150376172840350_503590349_10648693_230394214_n.jpg

317576_10150376172775350_503590349_10648692_2060290742_n.jpg

I think perhaps everyone is afraid to come right out and say it, so I'll be the bad guy and general bearer of bad news. The Derby you've won is no older than about 1960, and is probably more like 1970s or newer. The liner with the plastic tip protector and plain gold crest, the reeded and flanged sweatband with stitched seam up the back, the brim edge binding with clearly visible stitching on both side of the brim, and the lack of a proper D'Orsay curl all point to a newer hat. However, the hat still is attractive, has a lot of character and charm, the colors are nice, and the the price was good, so be proud to wear it!

Brad

coble

A-List Customer
to brad, well i went by what was listed on the description. I don't collect i wear, so its all good, no hurt feelings, still going to wear it. thanks for dating the hat.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
to brad, well i went by what was listed on the description.

That's understandable. Be aware that sellers are often mistaken about the age of things. More often than not, when there is an error of this sort, they tend to over-estimate age (rarity and condition too).

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Here's a gripe. While perusing ebay today, I typed in "Dobbs Fifteen" and got a few results. Then I wondered if my Dobbs Twenty would show up, so I typed that in. Not there. So I look at my listing to see what's up, and notice that it's in the Vintage category of Men's Accessories. It seems that if you're browsing within the category of Men's Accessories and decide to check for Dobbs, you'll not see mine. So I had to add that category to my listing, which doubled the fee. Maybe I should have changed the category rather than adding another, then altered the listing title to include the word "vintage." Live and learn.

coble

A-List Customer
zetwal, well guys i passed up the bowler hat, i thought about it. Its a neat looking bowler but i would have to say my heart was set on something old with some story behind it. Knowing its newer takes out the mystery for me. So i told the seller that i am not buying the hat due to lack of correct information on the hat. I'm going to use my birthday money to buy another fedora. So oh well, i am kind of bummed, but i'm happy and thankful to you guys telling me the truth about the age. The search is on again for an old bowler, i think i'll ask you all before i bid on an old bowler again. Off to check out the fedoras. Thanks guys.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
zetwal, well guys i passed up the bowler hat, i thought about it. Its a neat looking bowler but i would have to say my heart was set on something old with some story behind it. Knowing its newer takes out the mystery for me. So i told the seller that i am not buying the hat due to lack of correct information on the hat. I'm going to use my birthday money to buy another fedora. So oh well, i am kind of bummed, but i'm happy and thankful to you guys telling me the truth about the age. The search is on again for an old bowler, i think i'll ask you all before i bid on an old bowler again. Off to check out the fedoras. Thanks guys.

I am one of those who feel that we should not discuss live auctions here on the Lounge. Of course, it's your call. Personally, I would suggest that you contact Loungers privately whenever you have a question on a live auction. You will find that many of us will be happy to help.

As far as this particluar bowler goes, I'm sorry that it wasn't what you were looking for. But I'm glad to hear that the seller worked with you to resolve the issue without dispute. With good communication, most problems can be resolved without unpleasant contortions.

Happy Birthday too! :yo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe