Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

buler

I'll Lock Up
I snagged that one; makes my second Turf Club, I believe. Came across my first one again last week while working on improving my hat storage situation--trying to get it to where I can actually get access to my hats easily!

Looked like a really nice hat. The script for the model name looked different than what we've already seen. Please add to the Turf Club thread when you get it.

Turf Club thread link > http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47895-Stetson-Turf-Club

T Rick

Practically Family
The ebay price range for desirable vintage hats in very good condition that are well advertised and photographed is mostly in the $100 - $200 range. The occasional hat drifts higher. My guess is the knowledge base provided by the Lounge and a relatively small number of bidders are responsible for the highest bid prices on many auctions.

Exotic panamas are few and far between on ebay. Given the price one would have to pay for a new fine weave montecristi from the premier sources, the ebay auctions for high quality vintage are probably among the best hat values out there. The customers for new fino fino finos don't seem to be bidding up these vintage thousand dollar hats... yet.
Shhhhh!!!
shutup.gif
;)

1 1/2 inch brim? I don't think so ... ;)
Noticed that, no way. Obviously bidders weren't fooled either (good pics always help). Way too big for me, otherwise I'd have been in there.

T Rick

Practically Family
Cowboy/Hardhat. Not so big up here. Seen them around for the last dozen or more years, but only occasionally. One of the more popular ones (this is the one I wear, at least when they don't require I wear theirs) is the MSA Skullgard. Mine is rather old and covered with stickers from various jobs and suppliers...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Last edited:

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Shhhhh!!!
shutup.gif
;)

Noticed that, no way. Obviously bidders weren't fooled either (good pics always help). Way too big for me, otherwise I'd have been in there.

One of the ways I've found to get a good buy on Ebay (and advice given to me by a well respected member here) is to look very very close and read over and over to find mistakes in the listing. I've found at least two Strats (still too small for me) that were listed as "Very nice old Vintage hats" or something like that. The seller had no idea what he/she had because it belonged to Uncle Bob and they got it when he died. I get a kick out of all the Vintage "Wool" Stetsons out there too-LOL. I check Ebay by "Newest Listing" several times a day to see what new Vintage Items have been placed there for us "Loungers" to savor.

One of the ways I've found to get a good buy on Ebay (and advice given to me by a well respected member here) is to look very very close and read over and over to find mistakes in the listing. I've found at least two Strats (still too small for me) that were listed as "Very nice old Vintage hats" or something like that. The seller had no idea what he/she had because it belonged to Uncle Bob and they got it when he died. I get a kick out of all the Vintage "Wool" Stetsons out there too-LOL. I check Ebay by "Newest Listing" several times a day to see what new Vintage Items have been placed there for us "Loungers" to savor.

I've gotten some very nice vintage "wool" hats, including an almost pristine Open Road.:D

T Rick

Practically Family

Yep, the Strat I got a few weeks ago, while listed as a Stetson Fedora, didn't mention Stratoliner in the title. It was in a pic, and in the description fine print. As a result, I got a great Strat for just over a hundred bucks. Beats the heck out of $200 plus some are bringing!

Vintage Dobbs May Prince

This appears to be very much like its more well-known cousin, the Gay Prince, but with an unreeded sweat and without the whip stitching on the band...

:wacko:

replacement band? old or newer?... we shall see.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Alan, that looks like a good summer hat. So you're thinking the "gay prince" stamp on the sweat or the sweat itself does not belong to the hat? Interesting.

Here's a fresh gripe. This is a question/answer pair copied from a current auction. I'd put this squarely in the "Does Not Compute" department.

Q: Any size or a measurement across bottom of head opening?
A: The head opening is 6 1/4 in. from side to side, and 7 1/2 in. from front to back. It's about 23 inches around the inside band.

Alan, that looks like a good summer hat. So you're thinking the "gay prince" stamp on the sweat or the sweat itself does not belong to the hat? Interesting.

No, I'm sure the sweatband is original. The self ribbon is puzzling because I've never seen a Gay Prince ribbon without the whipstitch detail from the brim also on the ribbon. I posted some additional thoughts in the Dobbs Diner thread hoping for some feedback... Guessing this is an early 1940's example, but I'm not sure.

T Rick

Practically Family
That's a "G" Alan, the Seller must've misread it (I can see where it would look like an M, but look closer, definitely a G). A variation of the Gay Prince.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe