Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I agree, DJH. It never ceases to amaze me when someone posts a live auction that they, themselves want to bid on. It's like saying "Hey, everyone here's a hat you should go bid a lot on so it costs me even more to buy! I just hate paying low dollars for a hat, ya know?"

:)

Hey, my mistake. I'd rather let you guys know I'm interested instead of having one of you "ramp" up the price so somebody else can pay more for it. I figured as active as most of you are on here you would have already seen it and I wanted to let you know that a fellow lounger was looking at it. I don't have to have "that" Strat. I've been looking for a couple of weeks. I can always wait a little longer.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was happy to get this "new" Stetson 15 for a fair bit less than I expected...

483864290o-L.jpg

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
If it were a size smaller, I'd ramp that price up to 200 bucks, then watch it go to someone else. As it is, though, I sure hope you get it, Terry, rather than one of the large-headed circling sharks who have sensed blood . . . Best of luck!

Thanks man, but there are 4 bids already and like 9 days left so I can't see it going for under $200. I never had any real aspirations of winning it. I'd rather buy one off of someone I trust and who can tell me a little more about the hat.

HatsEnough

Banned
Hey, my mistake. I'd rather let you guys know I'm interested ...

Here's the thing... we are all interested in hats (it's why we're here, after all). The thing is, when you see an auction, it is better in most of our opinions to just quietly watch it. If you alert everyone to it, then you may be telling umpteen guys who weren't aware it was on sale about the auction and now you are possibly initiating a bidding war that will end up costing someone more than if fewer people saw the auction in the first place. That's why most guys frown on posting live auctions.

Not only are you likely costing yourself more money for a hat, but now you've also upset the guys that were quietly watching it.

Lastly, there is no calling dibbs on an auction. So, with your "I'd rather let you guys know I'm interested," that seems to be saying that you think you "called it first." If I misread that, please let me know, but there is no "Hey, guys, I am watching this hat, so could you guys not bid on it" business. We are all out for our own collections and all auctions are fair game. There ain't no "I saw it firsts" on ebay!

Anyway, don't feel too odd on this. It seems to me that newer guys often make this mistake and get joshed about it.

So, to recap, most people are not very happy when a live auction is posted. Best practice is never to post an auction until it is over.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Here's the thing... we are all interested in hats (it's why we're here, after all). The thing is, when you see an auction, it is better in most of our opinions to just quietly watch it. If you alert everyone to it, then you may be telling umpteen guys who weren't aware it was on sale about the auction and now you are possibly initiating a bidding war that will end up costing someone more than if fewer people saw the auction in the first place. That's why most guys frown on posting live auctions.

Not only are you likely costing yourself more money for a hat, but now you've also upset the guys that were quietly watching it.

Lastly, there is no calling dibbs on an auction. So, with your "I'd rather let you guys know I'm interested," that seems to be saying that you think you "called it first." If I misread that, please let me know, but there is no "Hey, guys, I am watching this hat, so could you guys not bid on it" business. We are all out for our own collections and all auctions are fair game. There ain't no "I saw it firsts" on ebay!

Anyway, don't feel too odd on this. It seems to me that newer guys often make this mistake and get joshed about it. So, to recap, most people are not very happy when a live auctio is posted. Best practice is never to post an auction until it is over.

Oh heavens no. I was not calling this auction. I must have misunderstood the "ramping" statement because I've read it more than once on here talking about driving the price up. I was asking not to drive the price up if you weren't bidding on it and I wanted to know if out belonged to anyone here. No harm meant.

HatsEnough

Banned
Hamilton County, just west of the city, out near River Downs race track. Born in Children's hospital downtown. Went to Anderson Middle school (now long gone) and Anderson High.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I was happy to get this "new" Stetson 15 for a fair bit less than I expected...

http://www.photo.uniqueday.com/Other/Tests/i-5f4NTv6/0/L/483864290o-L.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Very nice. I love the certainty of OPS tag dating.
I'll be all around, and probably in, Bay Villiage this weekend.

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120741392064&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1517wt_1270"]great, one might even say, Supernatural milan, 7 5/8, from Cleveland[/URL]

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Hamilton County, just west of the city, out near River Downs race track. Born in Children's hospital downtown. Went to Anderson Middle school (now long gone) and Anderson High.

Cool, I was born at Mercy in Mariemont back in 55. I moved to Illinois for work in 76 and never came home. I tried to ride my Harley in this past Monday to surprise my Mom but hit one of the worst Thunderstorms I've ridden in in twenty years and couldn't make it. She lived in Anderson for years and is way out in Blanchester now.

T Rick

Practically Family
Back on topic, sorry about the Ebay listing post. I won't do it again. Good luck to those bidding.

Well, it isn't against the rules. But obviously it's frowned upon by many here (myself included). That particular one was well listed, so most looking will have it spotted by the time it's 10 day listing is over, but of course even interested parties don't always look and a post could still bring in additional bidders.

The one I just bought only had "Stratoliner" burried in the text of the ad description, and the pics of the sweat band. If I'd seen it posted here before it closed, I'd have been gutted (and it probably would have come near my top bid, a bit more than double what I ended up paying, which was actually a decent deal but no bargain).

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Cheers Lefty. Those OPS tagged hats must be the easiest of all to date.

51-53, guaranteed Factory store Stetsons have the year of sale (not necessarily of production) stamped on the inside of the sweat, NRA tagged goods are 33-35, and the original Vita-Felt is 1940 to about 46. As far as I remember (and I keep editing this post with other things I remember), these are the most certain methods of dating we've got.

Here's the OPS tag thread.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well it seems every time that I sell off some hats to save money, I always find myself buying more. Damn this hat obsession....

Here's a couple that Ive fished off the bay

1920's The Lion Brand
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320716356933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I think this one is the same as LION HATS which was made by the Langenberg company which turned into Beaver Brand hats. I love the frayed ribbon work on this one. It should clean up nicely. Looks pretty dusty.

1890's/Early 1900's Top Hat with Bell Crown
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290578149418&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This one is in pretty rough shape. Its missing the sweatband, the original ribbon, and edge binding, but the felt is in nice shape. I did some research on the company that sold it and I can only find references from around the turn of the century. I thought it was interesting though.

HatsEnough

Banned
I had to laugh at the despcription of the topper...

"Solid construction, no seam inside."

No seam inside! LOL. Obviously this person has never dealt with real hats before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe