Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the welcome everyone, I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives.

Sorry to add to the competition Alex; it does seem hard to find vintage lids for us guys with big heads. :D

Brando11

A-List Customer
Yes, I got lucky. I'd been watching it for several days and I was amazed that it seemed to stay under the radar. As with most of these auctions, most of the activity came in the last 30 seconds.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's the most democratic of hats. East, West, business, and casual, the OR was marketed for all Americans.
stetsonopenroad1950.jpg

Alex

Practically Family
I figured, Lefty. Love those old adds too. This style of hat never appealed to me previously, with the longer brim and overall more western style I'd say, but it's definitely grown on me since I've joined the FL.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just won a gorgeous Silverbelly Stetson 25 on eBay. When the seller looked under the sweatband, he found the folded-up newspaper his dad had padded it with, dated March 1963. Can't wait!

That is actually a tremendous bit of intelligence. I have found that the Stetson 25 liner and sweat like the ones in your lid have been hard to date. It's never been clear to me how far back they may go. Obviously, those features existed in a Stetson 25 by at least early 1963 -- and, in all likelihood, they go back even further. Good stuff.

And, let me just say -- Congrats!!! Something tells me you are really gonna love that one. :eusa_clap :)

Cheers,
JtL

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Were open roads worn with business/casual clothing a lot?

My guess is that a brand new Open Road would have been worn with business clothes as the ad showed. I would do it, with a brand new Open Road, or a very clean vintage one, or a new Camp Draft. But there's a certain crispness and newness you need for that to work, IMHO. I have a somewhat beaten-up, stiff old Open Road, and it just wouldn't go with dress anything.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
My guess is that a brand new Open Road would have been worn with business clothes as the ad showed. I would do it, with a brand new Open Road, or a very clean vintage one, or a new Camp Draft. But there's a certain crispness and newness you need for that to work, IMHO. I have a somewhat beaten-up, stiff old Open Road, and it just wouldn't go with dress anything.

No need to guess -- the answer is, yes, Open Roads were worn with a wide variety of attire that absolutely included business clothes...;)

trumanhat5.gif

That is actually a tremendous bit of intelligence. I have found that the Stetson 25 liner and sweat like the ones in your lid have been hard to date. It's never been clear to me how far back they may go. Obviously, those features existed in a Stetson 25 by at least early 1963 -- and, in all likelihood, they go back even further. Good stuff.

And, let me just say -- Congrats!!! Something tells me you are really gonna love that one. :eusa_clap :)

Cheers,
JtL

Congrats here too - a great auction win with a fine bit of provenance. Look forward to seeing and hearing more when you receive it.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Yes, I got lucky. I'd been watching it for several days and I was amazed that it seemed to stay under the radar. As with most of these auctions, most of the activity came in the last 30 seconds.
It wasn't that bad at 16 sec left the high bidder padded his bid then I bid then I came in at 12 sec left and was high bidder until you bid with 4 sec left. By the way how high was your bid?

Jeff

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Now, Jeff -- that's like sittin' at the poker table and asking, "Did you really have a straight?" ;)

I know. But the way Ebay is now you don't know who is biding. In the old days you could build up info on other bidders. I liked it better that way. You learned what people would bid and how high and what they would go to the wall for and not. I think it was better then.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe