Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Most often, the originals are purchased by people (many of them in Japan), who intend to make repros of the item. They spend what seems to be a very high amount on the item, spend all sorts of time researching and obtaining the materials and method/means of manufacture, and then do a small, extremely well-made run of repros - which carry the high price of such quality, small runs. If a perfect repro of the cap is made that sells for $80, it won't take the buyer long to recoup and profit, and he can then resell the cap for most of what he paid.

I'm a big fan - though not a buyer - of the high-end repro workwear. While it's certainly not being used as workwear anymore, the vintage style and attention to detail is appealing to me. It's all about the pride of history behind the company/item, and the craft of the repro - very much like everything we discuss here.

Thanks, Lefty. This makes the extraordinarily high sums paid for items that are often in poor condition comprehensible.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, You're One Knowledgeable Guy

Lefty said:
Most often, the originals are purchased by people (many of them in Japan), who intend to make repros of the item. They spend what seems to be a very high amount on the item, spend all sorts of time researching and obtaining the materials and method/means of manufacture, and then do a small, extremely well-made run of repros - which carry the high price of such quality, small runs. If a perfect repro of the cap is made that sells for $80, it won't take the buyer long to recoup and profit, and he can then resell the cap for most of what he paid.

I'm a big fan - though not a buyer - of the high-end repro workwear. While it's certainly not being used as workwear anymore, the vintage style and attention to detail is appealing to me. It's all about the pride of history behind the company/item, and the craft of the repro - very much like everything we discuss here.

This information makes me want to start selling all kinds of crap. :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
15 DOLLA' SUPERNATURAL PANAMA_ WASHER BROS. TX. USA (x-post)

Just snagged this BIN:

408931716_o.jpg

408932280_o.jpg

408932172_o.jpg

408932044_o.jpg

408931928_o.jpg

408931828_o.jpg

408932517_o.jpg

I hope the sweat will look a little better w/ some Lexol.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well I'll be

theinterchange said:
Bahhhhhh. I was going to bid on that last night, but got involved in sending an email and missed it. Then saw this morning it was relisted, and sold. :eusa_doh:

Randy

I didn't even see it last night ... Your first on the list if'n it don't fit, Randy m'man.
As I am more 59 than 58, meh, who knows?
I wonder why he killed the first auction? It looked just the same as this one???? [huh]

theinterchange

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
I didn't even see it last night ... Your first on the list if'n it don't fit, Randy m'man.
As I am more 59 than 58, meh, who knows?
I wonder why he killed the first auction? It looked just the same as this one???? [huh]

Everything was identical. I logged on to bid, then remembered I needed to reply to an email so I opened another tab, then forgot the time as I wrote and the auction was already over once I remembered. [huh]

The hat seems to have a lot of character, so I was wanting it for when I felt like one. :p

Randy

barrowjh

One Too Many
September Summary

I finally landed a 'decent' OR on Sept 3rd (#18556615805) for $59 with shipping. A Royal Deluxe with 2 3/4 brim, really nice felt:
Picture10.jpg

Picture11.jpg

Picture12.jpg

On the 13th saw this Wormser being under-appreciated and un-loved; knowing that a 'Supreme Quality' Wormser would be a really fine hat, and seeing that the liner was stitched in, decided to jump on it and landed it for $21.50 with shipping (#300464797455). As a bonus, after I got it, found that the sweatband is stitched directly to the felt (not reeded), a really light-weight hat for the quality of the felt. Every bit the quality of the Stetson Ryl Dlx won on the 3rd, for only about 1/3rd the price! It has a 3" brim, and the wind trolley is one of those that is stitched to the hat.
Picture3.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Which brings us to this white beaver blend barcelona won on the 20th for only $23.45 with shipping (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180561669964&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT). It has a 3" brim also, but it seems so much wider due to the whiteness.
Picture7.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Now, you ask, why would anybody want a white fedora? Well . . .
Picture9.jpg

'cause with a crimson pug it becomes a Roll Tide Roll hat!
Picture8.jpg

sorry, Rusty.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Stetson Open Road Question…

OK, I was just the highest bidder on this Open Road Stetson. I presume it is not older than the 1980s.

Anyway, the question is the color. A few days ago I emailed the seller and asked if it was tan or whiter than that and they emailed back saying it was more silvery than tan.

So, seeing as how I can't make heads or tails from Stetson's model names, colors and quality markings yet, my question is this:

What does Stetson call this color?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170544452804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Mobile Vulgus said:
OK, I was just the highest bidder on this Open Road Stetson. I presume it is not older than the 1980s.

Anyway, the question is the color. A few days ago I emailed the seller and asked if it was tan or whiter than that and they emailed back saying it was more silvery than tan.

So, seeing as how I can't make heads or tails from Stetson's model names, colors and quality markings yet, my question is this:

What does Stetson call this color?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170544452804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Pictures can mislead, but I'd guess silver belly for this one. This is a great hat, whatever you call the color, especially for the price. Congratulations !

I believe it is much older than you think.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I was thinking that, too..

W4ASZ,

See, I was thinking it might be silverbelly and that is why I emailed the seller first. But (like you said) photos can be misleading.

I hope that turns out to be right because if it is silverbelly then that means I have only one more color that I want to get to have what I feel will be a usable set of fedoras to fit every suit color (I would need a brown).

I have a black Stetson Sovereign on its way (might be here Sat or Mon) and that was the other color I needed along with Silverbelly.

So, once I get my brown, I can take a break for a while.

And thanks for the congrats. My top bid was $75. I was surprised that it got no where near that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld