Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mobile Vulgus said:
Got this latest ebay purchase in the mail today. It is marked as being from the Dayton Hat Company of Minneapolis. Made of "genuine imported fur." It's a nice soft gray with a bluish tint and that wind trolley button I was talking about in another thread.

I have to flatten that back end a tad. It was up against the box there and is curled a bit more than I like. But over all a very nice, clean example.

gray_dayton.jpg
Dayton's was the most prestigious department store in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, where I grew up. at least until the 1970s. It was dominant locally (competitor was Donaldson's), and would be the level of Nordstrom's nowadays. So something sold by Dayton's would probably have been of good quality. The first Target stores opened up in the 1960s in the Twin Cities area as an upscale discount store offshooting from Dayton's, which was very popular, but they wouldn't have had elegant stuff. I myself would value a Dayton's brand hat.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Not quite. It was sold off to May Department Stores. Target is the discount store that was funded by Dayton Hudson in the early days. They sold off Marshall Fields(Dayton-Hudson changed their name due to better brand recognition with Marshall Fields.) to the May Department Stores because it was a better fit for May than them at that point. I used to do business with them as a vendor years ago.
You hat is definitely not a product of Target. :rolleyes: ;) :p

See link for detailed timeline. Dayton's last independent Corporate identity was as Target Corporation(2000) before ultimate sale of upscale Marshall Fields Division 2004. Merchandise offerings at Target Stores and upscale (Dayton/Hudson/Marshall Fields/May/Macys) differed obviously and post-dated the hat above.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
446"]the old Carhartt cap goes really big[/URL]
104_9757.jpg

Why is it that people go crazy over vintage "work" wear and denim? Is it just that very wealthy people consider these trendy prestige collectables?(even beyond Whippet-mania)

theinterchange

One Too Many
rlk said:
Why is it that people go crazy over vintage "work" wear and denim? Is it just that very wealthy people consider these trendy prestige collectables?(even beyond Whippet-mania)

That's insane, I can't see why anyone would pay $250+ for a... cap! :eek:

Randy

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Most often, the originals are purchased by people (many of them in Japan), who intend to make repros of the item. They spend what seems to be a very high amount on the item, spend all sorts of time researching and obtaining the materials and method/means of manufacture, and then do a small, extremely well-made run of repros - which carry the high price of such quality, small runs. If a perfect repro of the cap is made that sells for $80, it won't take the buyer long to recoup and profit, and he can then resell the cap for most of what he paid.

I'm a big fan - though not a buyer - of the high-end repro workwear. While it's certainly not being used as workwear anymore, the vintage style and attention to detail is appealing to me. It's all about the pride of history behind the company/item, and the craft of the repro - very much like everything we discuss here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld