Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Lefty said:
You might as well quit for a while, because you just got one of the best hats you'll ever own. Mallory's Pliafelt is pretty amazing stuff.

Is the stitching showing around the top of the brim the way it supposed to look? Not repaired, is it? Again, this is new to me and I never saw one with the stiching through the top of the brim before.

Brian

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
Anyone care to fill in the kid in the back of the classroom what the jokes are about regarding frayed ribbons? :eek: :p

Take a look at the Cavanagh Club thread. It was fairly popular for the ribbon to be a frayed at the end to show that it was high-quality stuff. Lesser ribbon would unravel.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's the thing - I think it's a fedora, but some might believe that it's a homburg with the brim un-curled. It can be had to tell until you get the hat and see if the brim feels really stiff near the edges, and wants to curl up dramatically at the sides.

There was a short-lived style called The Bold Look (run "bold look" site:thefedoralounge.com in google) in which the hats had a bit of brim binding showing on top of the brim, and a much wider binding showing below. That's why you end up with the stripe of visible stitching beyond the binding on top of the brim.

Whether it's a homburg or a fedora, it's pretty great.

saucerfiend said:
Is the stitching showing around the top of the brim the way it supposed to look? Not repaired, is it? Again, this is new to me and I never saw one with the stiching through the top of the brim before.

Brian

cptjeff

Practically Family

Dreispitz

One Too Many
CRH said:
I hold Dreispitz and his Derbynator wackyness responsible for this phase I'm going through.

Black derby

Brown derby

:D

What shall I say? I simply had the gut feel that it was right on time to provide the Bowler/Derby with a new image of contemporary coolness and distiguished style beyond mere fashion. Wear it with pride and become an epitome of manliness. In other words, be you and have fun!!!!!!!! :cheers1: :cool: :cool:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
saucerfiend said:
This is my first fedora Ebay win. Don't know too much about hats, but it seemed OK. It is new. Please tell me if you think I did allright. And if possible, put a date on it.

Brian

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290436513465&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Really nice find ineed (but I'm a Mallory lover anyway).

The date on the liner is the first giveaway. It states 'Established in 1817', so it's a post-1946 hat (when Stetson bought Mallory). Mallorys prior to 1946 had 'Established in 1823' on the liner. Another thing is the brim binding. As Lefty pointed out a few posts back, this particular kind of trimming (narrow on top and wide at the bottom) was part of the Bold Look, which was introduced in 1948. Read it up here.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Mario said:
Really nice find ineed (but I'm a Mallory lover anyway).

The date on the liner is the first giveaway. It states 'Established in 1817', so it's a post-1946 hat (when Stetson bought Mallory). Mallorys prior to 1946 had 'Established in 1823' on the liner. Another thing is the brim binding. As Lefty pointed out a few posts back, this particular kind of trimming (narrow on top and wide at the bottom) was part of the Bold Look, which was introduced in 1948. Read it up here.

Mario and Lefty,
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get it. Should be here by the week's end. Also won a nice Mallory Porkpie in dark brown, near mint condition. It auction says wool, but it's fur felt. I don't see how you can make that mistake. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130387795738&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT I'll post pics as soon as I get the Fedora.

Brian

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jeffconnors said:
Top hat
Bowler

Where stetson specials around in the 50's, I can only find refernce to them in the 20's and 30's

The 'Special' went through a lot of changes over the years. It was the "newest" Stetson model in 1905, and was a high-quality hat through the 1930's. A second generation 'Special' appeared in 1939 and I've seen some inferior quality versions of it that I think are from the '50s.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
The 'Special' went through a lot of changes over the years. It was the "newest" Stetson model in 1905, and was a high-quality hat through the 1930's. A second generation 'Special' appeared in 1939 and I've seen some inferior quality versions of it that I think are from the '50s.

Tops and bowlers are unfimilar territory for me. Do you think it was a swell deal. ??I have sceen very few 5/8 bowlers and top hats around and I was thinking this pair is quite quite rare. Any imput from the veterians?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jeffconnors said:
Tops and bowlers are unfimilar territory for me. Do you think it was a swell deal. ??I have sceen very few 5/8 bowlers and top hats around and I was thinking this pair is quite quite rare. Any imput from the veterians?

Your liner looks like an older one, but it's hard to tell. I've never seen a 'Special' top hat, or even seen them in ads. I have no idea as to what top hats are worth - they seem to be all over the board on ebay, and I don't know what criteria collectors use to determine their bids.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Just won this 7 5/8 LO Francato Cappello royal beaver with Freed & Co. box. On the stingy side, but looks to be within my stinginess tolerance level, which is 2 inches or more. I don't have any hats in this color, so it fills a niche.

FrancatoCappelloSide.jpg

FrancatoCappelloFront.jpg

FrancatoCappelloInside.jpg

FreedCompanyBox.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe