Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
First post....

Got this hat on ebay the other day. It is a Bailey fur felt from the 1970s. The hat still had the original tags on it. On ebay it said wool felt in the item description, but when I got it the hat is fur felt and has "fur felt" printed on the inside band.
Sorry for the image quality, took it with my laptop to save some time.

TueApr0621-35-46.jpg

It seems to be a good hat for $13 plus shipping.

I also have this old moth bitten Bailey western hat which I did my first conversion on this weekend. Thought I would share a photo of it as well. It was in really poor shape to start with and was more or less for practice, but I have fallen in love with it. (It was free!)

Hat002.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Finissimo Green velour Tyrolean style

Cross posted with more details on the Satin Finish thread

Fished this out of the bay because it's green and it's a velour. What's not to like? ;)

ItalianGreenVelourprofile2.jpg

Stock label says the color is Mauve but it's really green.
1 7/8" overwelt brim, crown is app 5" when open.

ItalianGreenVelourfront3.jpg

ItalianGreenVelourlinercrown4.jpg

ItalianGreenVelourstocktag8.jpg

ItalianGreenVeloursweatlabels5.jpg

ItalianGreenVeloursweatlabels2.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
I was contemplating that one with hope of getting it cheap and spending the rest on a reblock. I placed no bid figuring Nutria would dash my cheap hopes.

Talk to me, Scott, before you unload that one - or maybe it will be a keeper!

:eusa_clap

1940's Stetson Nutria San Fran

It's here and I'm going to keep it - I couldn't afford to buy a Nutria like this in my size, but it's stretched out very nicely. This is 1940's - looks thick like a 3X, but isn't. Dry-bashes very easily like a Royal or Royal Deluxe. Has a super-nice finish that is hard to describe. Not like my '20s Nutria, but just as nice in its own way. Softer and easier to bash than another '40s Nutria in the same western style - inconsistency or older? Color is a heather sand, which might be natural?

It's almost certainly the "San Fran" model - 3 cord ribbon, 3" bound-brim, 6" crown, and in Nutria - all fit perfectly with that Model. It was $17 in 1950. The Nutria liner shown in the original ebay pic at bottom is soaking in Woolite. When done, only flaws will be the back of the sweat and some minor rubbing on the sweatband. I've had two of these - very highly recommend them. The brim snaps beautifully, but I won't be doing that.

Hey, can I call this an unlabeled 'Open Road'? lol lol

NutriaSide0.jpg

NutriaFront0.jpg

NutriaDtls.jpg

Picture_9.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:

It's here and I'm going to keep it - I couldn't afford to buy a Nutria like this in my size, but it's stretched out very nicely. ...

OK then! I just saved some money!

I'm starting to pay more attention to the higher quality westerns in smaller sizes. I need to find a deal like this for a professional conversion.

Lembert?

This is supposedly a Lembert (Augsburg, Germany) melone (bowler). It has a shorter crown than normal. I believe it is late 1800s early 1900s. Size is a bit of mystery and it has a depression (not cracked) so have my fingers crossed.

4502845910_1e4896ef72_o.gif

CRH

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
This is supposedly a Lembert (Augsburg, Germany) melone (bowler). It has a shorter crown than normal. I believe it is late 1800s early 1900s. Size is a bit of mystery and it has a depression (not cracked) so have my fingers crossed.

4502845910_1e4896ef72_o.gif

Curious. My first gut reaction is that it is a boy's hat.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
I think bidders were nervous when they read that it comes with "A Wind Tunnel".

I want a wind tunnel, then I could scientifically test my theories on the aerodynamics of different brim shapes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld